PDA

View Full Version : Which Incubator would you choose?

GeckoLovr
06-25-2013, 05:09 PM
So I am looking to buy a second incubator. Currently I have a Hova-bator without the fan. The temps aren't very even across the entire thing, but it does its job. But now, I need another incubator. Because I need one set around 82, and the other around 90.

So I have been looking at buying one of these possible 3.

A - The Hova-bator turbo fan model - I can find one of these online for around $80 or so. Granted, I would have it on a different thermostat instead of that wafer t-stat. The turbo fan would help keep temps more evenly. It is kind of ugly, though.

B - The Reptibator from Zoo Med - I can get one from Pangea for $115. It has a built in T-stat, with alarm. I think its larger than the Hova-bator. It' looks nice, but I have heard its slightly flimsy, and has the same issue as the regular Hova-bator with keeping even temps across the entire incubator.

C - The Exo Terra Incubator - I haven't been able to find this for cheaper than $180 shipped. It has heating and cooling, a built in T stat, multiple shelves, neat design. Main issue with this is I have read quite a few reviews about keeping temps in this thing. People have said they can't confide in this one that it will hold proper temps. I have heard the cooling function barely works well at all. All this amongst other complaints that the design is shoddy, the door is flimsy, etc. etc..

I am buying a T stat at the same time. Likely one with two zones. So I will have another T stat to run any incubator I get, even just for back up.

What would you guys recommend?

Or do you have other recommendations?

Please vote and comment below! Thanks!

Mardy
06-25-2013, 08:56 PM
Either go with a hovabator, which works and are cost efffective. Or ReptiPro 6000 if you need something larger in a mini-fridge style incubator. Or if you have the money, the best choice is Nature Spirit's incubator. Spacious, holds temperature steady, well worth the money if you are looking to expand your breeding hobby.

GeckoLovr
06-26-2013, 04:14 PM
Wow, that Nature Spirit incubator is quite professional. Unfortunately, it is outside of my price range and scope of my breeding projects. I'm just a small timer and don't see myself needing anything that large for years to come.

The ReptiPro 6000 has shown out of stock everytime i've checked on it.

So there have been a lot of views, but barely any votes and responses.

Anyone else want to suggest an incubator or vote on the choices i've put up?

Saskia
06-27-2013, 09:56 AM
I have a Little Giant one, it is quite similar to the Hova Bator, in my experience it holds temperature steady, have never had an issue with it, but I am not a comercial breeder, when I have done it is on a very small scale, but always quite succesfully, I would reccomend it with my eyes closed, you can find on the incubator warehouse online for under 60$$

GeckoLovr
06-27-2013, 10:53 AM
Hi Saskia! Thanks for the response. Prior to your post, that is where I found the Hovabator online for the same price as the little giant. I don't see much of any differences except shape and viewing window size.

Have you ever used a Hova-bator? I would assume the two of them are nearly identical in performance?

Saskia
06-27-2013, 12:15 PM
Yes, I have, but for a very short period of time, when I bought mine I was choosing betwen those 2 and finally chose the Little Giant because if was like 5 $$ less and all comments were great, It truly has worked wonderfully for me

Tamara
06-30-2013, 05:33 AM
We voted on the reptibator because we live in europe and have never seen the hova-bator available around here and the exo terra we havent heard alot of good things about.

At this moment we use 2 Jaeger FB50 's wich are realy great but we dont think they are available in the states.

Saskia
06-30-2013, 08:01 PM
I understand that the Hova Bator with the fan doesn´t work very well for leopards

GeckoLovr
06-30-2013, 08:39 PM
@Tamara - Have you used the Reptibator or where you just casting your vote? If you have used it before, can you describe your experiences with it some? How are the temp's across the unit? How durable is the design? How reliable in general would you say it is?

@Saskia - That's strange, because i've heard that many people utilize the Hova Bator for hatching out leo eggs. As well as all kinds of gecko and smaller lizard eggs. Would you be capable of linking your source?

Tamara
07-01-2013, 07:12 AM
We did not use it before but we voted for it because it is the only model you listed that is available over here...

Riverside Reptiles
07-07-2013, 09:05 AM
The Hovabator is a classic incubator that has been used in this hobby for decades. You DO NOT want the one with the "turbo fan" fan though. Just the normal Hovabator works fine. I have hatched out hundreds of eggs of many different species using them.

GeckoLovr
07-07-2013, 12:21 PM
Why no Turbo Fan? From what I've read, if the temps fluctuate too much you can have babies with birth defects. I heard it helps keep the temps more even across the entire unit which I would assume would help avoid defects.

Elizabeth Freer
07-08-2013, 11:37 PM
Why no Turbo Fan? From what I've read, if the temps fluctuate too much you can have babies with birth defects. I heard it helps keep the temps more even across the entire unit which I would assume would help avoid defects.

The Turbo Fan will dry out the eggs :yikes: