PDA

View Full Version : 1st Gekko canaensis Egg!!!!!

RuselBro
07-10-2013, 03:39 AM
So it's 3:10 in the morning, and I just came back home from Walmart, I go to check on the Canaensis and Tokay before I go to bed. Scooped some Urate and poo from the Tokay enclosure, then saw what I thought was just a big Urate in the Canaensis Enclosure, I scoop it out, and notice it's squishy! Then I realize it is clearly an egg from the Female, because it was on the ground were she sit's above on the rockwall behind her Sanservia and Potho's. So I gently stuck it to the glass wall as it was still soft and sticky/squishy, gently taped a Deli Cup around it. I have no idea if it will be fertile, chance's are it is not as it was laid on the substrate, but I could be wrong. And I'm almost positive I didn't damage the egg when handling it, but who know's. This is my first Egg so far.

But INGO now I need your help, is it possible it could have fallen off the Rockwall, or she might of just had bad aim when trying to lay it on the Rockwall? Or is it most likely 99% NOT Fertile since it was on the ground? Give me all the info I need for this Egg.

Ingo
07-10-2013, 12:34 PM
Most likely its just infertile. But thats how it begins....

RuselBro
07-10-2013, 04:56 PM
Yeah I'm pretty sure it is Infertile, but I'll give it a few day's to make sure. But even if it is Infertile, at least it's a start! I'd be pretty happy to have some Cb G. Canaensis.

Also do you keep or sell your Canaensis offspring?

And for the future, what temp's for incubation in their Enclosure? How many day's till hatching? And I assume G. Canaensis do eat their young? I read the young actually live in/on bushes/tree branches/thin twig's till they are of size to join in on the rock wall's?

Sorry for so many question's, but you're the only person I know who has had success with them.

Thank you.

Ingo
07-11-2013, 02:44 AM
Hi,

I either sell, give away for free or feed my G. cf canaensis offspring to other lizards.
Ambient temps in my herp room in summer vary from 24c to 30C (translates into mit 70s to mid 80s in Fahrenheit). Under these conditions the babies hatch after 85 to 115 days in their parents enclosure.
And yes, in my hands, hatchling G.cf canaensis do have an affinity for twigs, small branches and the like and I hypotized that that may help to keep them out of reach of their predatory parents.
This year my breeder male mayto begin to age. So far nothing hatched out of the eggs the famel layed, even though they look well. He ist c.b. by me and hatched in, I think 2000.
http://www.bilder-hochladen.net/files/big/dxtu-9e-6faa.jpg

RuselBro
07-12-2013, 12:32 AM
Thank you for the info. The egg was no good at all. The shell couldn't harden all the way, which I'm pretty sure is because my female has not enough calcium. So I'm upping her Calcium intake now.

RuselBro
07-16-2013, 05:20 PM
Just noticed my Female Canaensis has 2 more egg's in her belly.

RuselBro
07-23-2013, 10:46 PM
Just found another Canaensis Egg! I wish she would have waited 1 more week till their new enclosure was done. Guess this will be a hatchling enclosure. This egg also look's very good, unlike the first egg she had that went bad. Upping her Calcium intake definitely helped her alot!