PDA

View Full Version : Question about the under tank heating mat...

eye4eye26
08-23-2013, 03:26 PM
I just recently got my 1st Leopard Gecko & I have him in a 20 gallon long tank & I had a question about the heating mat. I was told to put the heating mat on the side of the tank right up against the cave that he's always under because I was told not to put the heating mat under the tank since it's on a wooden table with no opening. I was wondering is having a heating mat up against the side of the tank fine especially if I have a 75 watt basking light on during the day (for 12 hours) that I turn off at night? Thanks for your time & response in advance :D

GeckoManiac91
08-23-2013, 03:36 PM
The UTH should be covering 1/3 of the tank. It should be under the tank on the warm side.
Since Leopard Geckos digest food through belly heat it would make sense to have the "UTH" under the tank ;)

You need it controlled by a thermostat to prevent it from over heating as well. This and proper ventilation space under the tank should prevent any fire damage or damage to the wooden table.

eye4eye26
08-23-2013, 03:42 PM
It shouldn't be a problem then if I put it under the tank & it's directly on top of a wooden stand with no opening right?

Mardy
08-23-2013, 03:58 PM
You've got to prop up the tank so there's plenty of ventilation space between the bottom of the tank, and the wooden table. The UTH comes with those lil rubber feet that you can stick on the corners of the tanks on the bottom. But if you have the tank on a wooden table, I would use something that props up the tank a bit higher. Anything would work really, something that's stable that you could put under 4 corners of your tank.

GeckoManiac91 used hockey pucks, which I thought was pretty ingenious :)

eye4eye26
08-23-2013, 04:01 PM
Hockey pucks......that actually sounds like a great idea lol! Thanks for the advice bro.

eye4eye26
08-23-2013, 07:15 PM
I actually went to home depot & picked up 2 foot long pieces of lumber (about 4 inches wide) & now have the tank propped up the right way & I returned my old heating mat that I had on the side of the tank & exchanged it for a brand new one (even exchange) & now have it under the tank the right way lol. Just wanted to share so people wouldn't think their advice/input goes unheard. Thanks again guys it means a lot!