PDA

View Full Version : i need knowlage .

sassygecko17
12-01-2013, 06:03 PM
today I felt my Leo's belly and it was cold but not ice cold and I have one tank heater on the side of the warm side of the tank and one underneath the warm side. and the day bulb should be making it warm enough but my house has ben cold and it has warmed up a lot. yesterday one of the temperature monitors said it was almost 90 so I didn't want him to get to hot so I unplugged the side heater. this morning I felt his belly was cold so I plugged it back in . and this afternoon I felt him again and he was still cold but the habitat felt warm all the monitors said almost 80 and one of the packages for the monitors said for leopard geckos it should stay almost 80 but I know that the warm side should stay 80 or more .should I get another day bulb that's a basking bulb to make it warmer or should the geckos belly be cool? help!

Geckologist.tj
12-01-2013, 06:11 PM
First off, you'll want to make sure you are measuring the ground temperature under the warm hide with a digital thermometer with a probe or an infrared temperature gun. That temp should be 88-93. Second, the air temperature four inches off the ground on the warm side should be around 80, as measured with a digital thermometer. I specify digital, because the round dial type thermometers are often very far off from the actual temperature. As far as what his belly feels like, there are too many variables to say. Sometimes it will feel warm if he's been lying on his UTH, but other times it may feel cool to you. Only he knows for sure what temperature he needs at any given time. That's why we have to give them options. :biggrin:

Elizabeth Freer
12-04-2013, 03:19 AM
What size is your leo's enclosure?

Generally with one properly sized Under Tank Heat mat underneath one end of the enclosure and an overhead dome on the warm end of the tank, it is easy to achieve good temps for leos.