PDA

View Full Version : Just got a Tokay c:

Dachindae
12-13-2013, 12:53 AM
I've had a leopard gecko for a little over ten years and my crested Gecko, Wedgie, for a little over a year now. [along with his granddaughter, Digit from Gekkonidazed Geckos]

I found this girl at petco, where she had been dropped off by a previous owner who no longer wanted her. She was on sale for $12 and I was contemplating getting her when I heard a guy in the next aisle over talking about how he wanted a "badass and mean reptile" and the employee said they had the Tokay I told the employee I was talking to that I'd take her. I did NOT want her going home with this guy.

So she's in a temporary large plastic bin with a heat lamp, a big stick, and several plastic plants and a towel over one side to keep her stress levels down. I plan on getting her one of these cages as soon as I get paid. I'm going to silicon in some 2"-3" PVC pipes and decorate it with fake plants so she'll feel secure.

Once I move her to the new cage, I'll probably leave her alone for 2-3 weeks so she can get comfortable. Then I'm going to try my hand at holding her. I know I'll get bit and if she doesn't start to calm down in a week [even a little bit] I'll leave her alone. I'm A-okay with having a "look at me" pet.

I named her Eezo.

Without further ado, here are some images of her :3

Tamara
12-13-2013, 05:20 AM
Nice animal you got there, she looks to be in good condition too... ;)

Aimless
12-13-2013, 12:00 PM
Yes, great find!

billewicz
12-13-2013, 01:46 PM
Hello and yes, that is a nice girl.

So, please spend some time looking through all the great posts here about enclosures and set-ups. I would not suggest that you glue the PVC pipe into place however.

One, it makes it very hard to clean the enclosure and two, you'll never get her out of there if you need to. She'll stay up in the tube making it impossible to do a complete cleaning or take her to the vet, etc.

The unattached PVC will make it easy to move her to another place while you clean and disinfect.

just lean the tube up in the corner between some other vertical items like cork bark and slate. Tokay almost never sit on a horizontal branch. Only on vertical surfaces but you can hang your plastic plants from it to create a curtain effect near the glass side.

Anyhow, get yourself a vertical enclosure, say the 18" x 18" x 24" ZooMed or Exo-terra while they are on sale for the holidays.

Have fun!

Michael's Tokay Hoard @
www.billewicz.com

aquamentus_11
12-20-2013, 06:12 PM
yeah she looks great!

Dachindae
01-13-2014, 10:29 PM
I managed to get an 18x18x24 exo terra for 50% off because it was missing the top. I'm working on making the top, but I really didn't want her in the plastic bin more than she needed to be so I snagged the top from one of my unused 40G's and put it on top with rocks weighing it down.

I siliconed two half-circles on two sides of the enclosure and let them cure. The PVC pipe behind all the plants is resting on them so I can take it out if I need too. There's also a second PVC pipe behind that one set at an angle so she can go inside it. I have a 3rd PVC pipe that I'm covering with eco earth for a better looking texture. Going to make her Roach container a little more elevated too.

So now she's in there, wasn't happy about it, but now she's in her forever home. Only time she'll be coming out is cleaning and vet visit.