PDA

View Full Version : Leave Egg Alone

orbela
12-30-2013, 12:22 AM
what are people thought of leaving the eggs where a leopard gecko layed eggs? maybe just adding heat? will that be a problem? My Leopard Gecko layed eggs in her moist hide and it seems to work as long as I keep the temperature ideal for the eggs. Will she take care of them or will she not care what happens after?
P.S I have the incubators and everything set-up don't want people to think it was a surprise.

acpart
12-30-2013, 11:34 PM
Some people have had success keeping the leopard gecko eggs in the cage and letting them hatch naturally. I have also heard reports that when the babies hatch in the cage generally the adults leave them alone. I wouldn't want to count on that though. In answer to your question, the gecko that laid the eggs will not care for them and also won't care for the babies. It can be challenging providing the kind of steady heat that's needed to hatch eggs successfully and also to provide the high humidity, though keeping them buried in moist substrate could work. In summary, it can be done, but it's not as reliable.

Aliza

orbela
12-31-2013, 01:30 AM
Thank You I am going to put half in incubation then see if the other half will survive naturally of course with a bit of assistance and keep an eye my gecko will do anything to the hatchlings

Saskia
01-05-2014, 08:12 AM
The thing is.... it would take a second for the mother to eat the babies, literally a second, and you would need to hover the vivarium 24/7 in order to prevent that if she were to do so... I have also read some experiences when parents leave babies alone, but I personally wouldnīt trust it... I believe they can hatch, but I wouldn't trust the adults, I have seen them go cannibalistic and I wouldnīt risk it, my personal opinion

orbela
01-05-2014, 01:44 PM
Really!!! I will remove the other half luckily they are all safe so far

Saskia
01-08-2014, 08:23 AM
There are several documented cases of cannibalism in leopard geckos, and I doubt they would make a difference between their own offspring and any other small lizard... check this out:

http://www.geckosunlimited.com/community/leopard-geckos-general-info-intros-pics/68430-cannibalism-leopard-geckos.html

orbela
01-08-2014, 03:19 PM
Wow that is crazy, thank you. Lucky I removed the eggs. Wonder if this true for othe species. I am about to get Hemidactylus imbrucatius wonder if they can be housed together due to their relatively smal size. Not with Eublepharis macularius.

Saskia
01-11-2014, 08:34 AM
I used to keep Hemidactylus mabouia but I kept them separatedly, but they are quite common in my country, and it is not uncommon to see them in houses, more than one individual, it seems hard for me to believe they would cannibalize each other, in my living room there are at least 3 of them right now, donīt know if the fact of being confined in a small space forced to be very close to each other would change that.... anyways if they are about the same size you shouldnīt have a problem