PDA

View Full Version : Taking a Tokay to the Vet / taming?

Dachindae
01-18-2014, 03:34 AM
So, this is my first aggressive reptile. She HATES even being looked at and went into a defensive, puffed up posture when I glanced at her last night. She's not barking when I mist her anymore, so I'll take that as a good sign.
She is in her final enclosure [18x18x24 exoterra] and will not be moved to another one so I'm going to let her calm down for a few weeks before trying anything. I would like her -slightly- tame so I can at least clean her cage without getting the crap bitten out of me and to take her out for some photos once in a while. I was looking at this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIc3y0D5ipM) in particular and was wondering if this was an even ok way to do it? I was honestly thinking of wearing a sock or something for a day and then leaving it in her enclosure so she gets used to what I smell like. Advice would be helpful. I don't want her puppy-tame, just... not a psychotic murder-lizard. [her nickname is Psychotic Biotic]

I would like to give the vet a fecal sample as soon as I am able. There are a few vets in town and I'm going to [honestly] take her sample to one of the cheaper ones. I'm one of the few in my town with a lot of reptiles to the vets aren't used to seeing them or knowing what to do. Wondering if I should like... print off some stuff about common and uncommon reptile parasites.

I don't know if she needs a physical though. She has no external parasites, masses, bumps, bruises, or anything. She is very healthy looking [to me] on the outside and her mouth is a nice, deep black color. I got a good look and feel on her while switching cages, she wasn't happy, but I got a chance to feel for any hard masses or anything of the like.
If her fecal shows up clean, should I even bother with the physical?

There are absolutely no exotic vets in town, but there are three within driving distance [one 45 min, another a couple hours]. Just not sure how they'd handle a pissed off tokay. Just wouldn't want them to hurt her trying to hold her still or break off her tail :/
and to be honest, I'm not sure if I trust them 100%. I had taken a snake to a vet once and he was supposed to be good with reptiles... called her a python instead of a boa... I left.

I would love to breed her sometime. Probably not within the next year unless I get a nice job, but I think she'd throw some cute babies.

I'M SORRY I TYPE A LOT
I have attached photos of her here (http://www.geckosunlimited.com/community/gekko-including-tokay-golden-white-lined-etc/72553-just-got-tokay-c.html)

Good shot of her tail (https://24.media.tumblr.com/5660c92dbaec3d06a7bea04e7c6e1fd1/tumblr_mzdfpuAc6E1ryge0ro2_1280.jpg)

a photo of her from last night
https://31.media.tumblr.com/e71a065cc4bebf78841f8374a8e030cf/tumblr_mzkfc4vnD11ryge0ro1_1280.jpg

zuper8
01-18-2014, 12:59 PM
My Tokay was the first reptile I ever owned and the video you posted was very helpful to me when I her. she was very aggressive at first and the techniques that person uses were very effective for me.

billewicz
01-19-2014, 03:11 AM
She will settle down over time. If she has a couple of good vertical hiding places between slate, bark or tubes; she'll retreat to those places while your cleaning.

Unless she is defending eggs or her young, you should be fine. Most of my males come right up to the door when it's feeding time while the girls sit back in their nesting/hiding place. I can pretty much spot change the mulch, clean the glass as long as I don't flush her out of her hide.

A fecal exam should be a no brainer for most any vet. Doing one without the exam would be worth your while. (Most vets will not do this around here however.)

Now whether they can administer meds suspended in a liquid for oral application, (Typically Panicur and/or Flagyl), that's another story.

I use a soft mesh enclosure, Exo-Terra Explorium, to transport Tokay to the vet. It's just easier to get to them rather than using a hard sided critter keeper.

As to the video, I've used this method accept I come from below and behind. I'll stroke the Tokay across it's back haunches which seems to calm them as well.

What I don't like about the video is there are no vertical hides or nesting areas that I could see and a heat lamp. If this is true, these Tokay are being forced out into the open.

I'm personally more inclined to provide a vertical hide up against the side of the glass so they can see out, and I can see in. Once Tokay see your comings and goings and understand they are safe from harm, they get used to your movements over time and hang out without fleeing.

Good luck.

XoVictoryXo
01-28-2014, 02:09 PM
she is beautiful, good look with her! :) Ill be watching this thread for tips :)

Riverside Reptiles
01-29-2014, 11:52 PM
For transporting geckos I tend to use appropriately sized Gladware type containers. A small container like this is A) made of fairly soft plastic material that won't injure the gecko if it happens to freak out
B) small enough to limit the movements of the gecko and make catching it easy for everyone involved.
For hadling your gecko, if you're worried about being bitten, try some "mechanics" type gloves available from your local Home Depot or Auto supply place. They're thin enough for your hands to remain flexible and able to grip well while still being thick enough to protect against tokay teeth. A fecal is always a good idea and any vet worth his weight can do it regardless of whether they see reptiles on a regular basis or not. If the vet isn't able to give you the required meds in the form of an oral suspension, you can always just get them to write you a prescription and then you can get the meds elsewhere.