PDA

View Full Version : Leachie eye problem...

Koné
01-26-2014, 10:56 AM
Hi every one, I have a male Nuu Ana Nuu ami cross leachie from northern gecko, I've had him for almost a year and he is about 1 1/2 years old, 10 inches long and used to be 103 grams, but has lost nearly 10-15 grams it the past week, he is barely eating but still drinks a lot of water! He is definatly skinnier, but not to bad... He had a bad shed about 2 weeks ago, and had shed stuck on both his eyes, we brought him to a vet, and he got medication made from a local pharmacy to lubricate, and prevent infection until it comes off, the eyes definatly looks better a week after we started using the ointment, but still a bit cloudy, one eye is almost perfect, but he cant really see good, and therefore barely moves, or eats... He is in a exo terra 18x18x24 terrarium, and we simplified it since he's been "sick" he has a custom built ledge, a mushroom food and water ledge and plants in all corners, he had a large stick in the middle, but it smelled and we are going to get some new stuff today, hopefully a cork round, maybe a bamboo round and some new sticks, he just has a towel for a substrate now, his humidity is a little dry (60-70) but it's been high the past few days (70-80) and his temps are always around 75. Thanks,if you need any other info, just ask.

Aimless
01-26-2014, 11:31 AM
I'm not sure I understand your question. What are you asking? And welcome to GU.

Koné
01-26-2014, 11:37 AM
Sorry got carried away, I was wondering how I could get him to start eating, also what should his weight be at 10 inches. If there is anything else I could try to remove the stuck shed on the eyes. Thanks!

Aimless
01-26-2014, 01:58 PM
Hmm what about hand feeding him diet til his eyes are better? And if you have something from the vet I would just use that and not make it more complicated.
15g seems like a lot of weight to lose that fast.
Why did he have such a bad shed? It seems as though there may be more going on with him?

And you can post a photo from a hosting site like flickr, fb, or photo bucket.

Koné
01-26-2014, 02:18 PM
I just took him out because I notices one of his eyes was white! I touched the eye gently with a wet qtip, and there was mucus stuff, it would stick to the tip and when I pulled away, it stretched out in a thin line, I have been trying to feed him via syringe but he won't eat much. I put more of the medicine on, it is only one eye, and that eye was in the light all day. Please help! Is it infected? While he shed it was a dry climate where I live, and was hard to control humidity, every other time was good. I don't have face book or anything to post a pic, how do I on the site?

Koné
01-26-2014, 07:23 PM
RELIEF! his weight is somehow going back up, I guess the water, and little food helped... Maybe the scale was off? I'm not sure, anyways his eye is no longer white or gooey, and he is eating and drinking from some syringes (I'm hand feeding him) so hopefully he'll be back up and healthy soon! I'll continue to post, but thank you so much for replying! I'll soon figure out how to post pics, and show my baby off! Thanks again!

Koné
01-28-2014, 06:16 AM
2806228061280602806328064Pics the one of him coming out of a container with paper towels was after. Bath, they cleared up the went hazy again a little while after, the white eye ws what I was talking about but it's gone now.

Koghis
02-01-2014, 10:15 AM
That looks like something mycotic to me, the skin on his head looks weird too. Please visit a veterinarian, stuff like this can end deadly easily.

Koné
02-01-2014, 10:37 AM
Actually, he just shed last night, and his eyes are all clear , the new layer probably took it all off with it, but I think he may have poked his eye on a twig or something, there is a small red dot in the centre of his eye, it looks like its on the surface of the eye, not in it, and I can't see a scratch, plus it's not bloodshot. Here a pic, I hope it's not too serious, but I'll keep him fed and hydrated plenty!