PDA

View Full Version : Incubator needed?

30350j
02-12-2014, 02:19 PM
So my leo laid two eggs last night in the moist hide and the temp/humidity in the moist hide are where they should be (to incubate the eggs). She keeps pushing the coconut fiber over the eggs and I keep uncovering them a bit so they can breathe.
Because she is doing this should I move the eggs into a homemade incubator or is it okay to leave the eggs in the moist hide with the parent leos in the tank?
The lid to the moist hide is always on except when I spray down the substrate to keep it moist and humid.

I marked the eggs after I had taken these pics.

30350j
02-12-2014, 04:03 PM
I read in a similar post that they can hatch naturally in the moist hide but there is a risk of gecko cannibalism once (if) the geckos hatch.
I'm just wondering if it's a bad idea that I keep them in there when she keeps covering the eggs with substrate and laying on them as if she's protecting them. She's been in the hide all day with the eggs and only comes out when I mist the substrate

Saskia
02-12-2014, 05:09 PM
I would advice against leaving them in there exactly because of the risk of cannibalism when they hatch... also, an incubator would provide a more stable temperature.