PDA

View Full Version : How old can a female leopard gecko be before their first ovulation?

KFelidae
03-02-2014, 07:27 PM
I've got a female and I'm not sure exactly how old she is (19g last weigh in, though) but I'm pretty sure she's under a year still, but she's recently become lax about eatting, and compairing her belly to some others I've seen it looks like the early stages of ovulation?

I was pretty sure she was still to young for that, though.

10gal tank
Substrait: Paper towels
She has multiple hides on both sides + moist hide
Temp ranges from the house temp of mid-high 70s though the day on the cool side to a warm mid-high 80s on the warm side
Diet is mostly mealies with the occasional wax worms(maybe once a week, but a little more constant for her recently since she's been less enthusiastic about her mealies) and I've recently tried introducing crickets for her, but I'm not sure if she'd ever had those before.

We did recently rescue a male from the local pet shop that was in some awful condition ( blind from bad sheds and only 7g about when we got him a month ago, and he's up to 18g now with proper feeding and a good moist hide + soaking has him seeing again :D) But I wasn't sure if maybe the new addition (Seperate tank, but close by) might have something to do with it? Would the presence of a new male, considering the season, stimulate ovulation?

I'll see if I can get a picture of her belly soon, but she's a wiggly little thing.

acpart
03-02-2014, 08:14 PM
I would also be surprised that she'd ovulate at 19 grams. I'm not sure, but I think there's probably some interaction between age and weight with ovulation, so I guess it could be possible for her to be the right age but low weight and still ovulate. That's about all I can think of at this point.

Aliza

Leopard leopard
10-21-2017, 09:06 PM
When the hot side should be around 90f the cooler temperature slows down metabolism and causes them to eat less.
The cooler temps on top of the smell males excrete is probably why she is ovulating.
A 19 gram leopard gecko sounds about 4-5 months old btw.