PDA

View Full Version : When should I give up?

LeopardGeckoBreederFan
03-07-2014, 01:04 AM
I have a beautiful female but she won't accept the male I put in there. She freaks out and runs to the other end of the cage and if he persists she bites him. She's gorgeous but I need breeding females as I only have one of four breeding right now. When should I give up on her? And what can I do to possibly make her receptive? Maybe its the male? I haven't checked for ovulation because she doesn't like handling. Any help is appreciated!

Saskia
03-07-2014, 09:11 AM
If she is not ovulating she won´t accept it, and some females are just not breeders... perhaps she is just a pet leopard gecko...

LeopardGeckoBreederFan
03-07-2014, 09:39 AM
I'm really hoping she will be a breeder, but she still isn't ovulating in March. If she doesn't start ovulating soon I'm probably going to trade her. If I sell her as a pet then I'll have to try to handle her, which she hates lol.

kimwal
03-24-2014, 05:26 AM
I like this question as I have had this problem also. Last year I had an eclipse that did the same thing. This year, I decided I would not breed her as she got stressed during the male/female introductions. Last week I found her dead in her box. She had the week before had a 1/4 inch area that was black on her abdomen--I thought it was going to be a poop and I did not think about it much. Over the next week I handled her-she seemed fine, I was not planning to breed her and she never went in with a male since a whole year ago. Long story short--the autopsy showed she was eggbound and bled into her abdomen. She even had a poop the night she died which was normal looking. I miss her tsk noise she made when I would pick her up, she was my pet--mine. I always pick mine up when I clean their box daily--they sit on my leg while I clean, I don't really handle them too much--just start taking them out and letting them sit quiet on you. I am sad about my eclipse-I never expected anything was wrong with her and she was big-big tail all of that--still bummed out.

LeopardGeckoBreederFan
03-24-2014, 08:01 AM
Oh goodness that's terrible! I'm so sorry for your loss! I would be devastated if any of my babies got egg bound. I'll be sure to keep a look out for that with her. I attempted to put her with a male last night again and she was very unreceptive. She ran around the cage slapping him with her tail every time he made an advance. I'm guessing she just isn't going to be receptivr this year. When I get home I'll check for signs of egg binding just to be sure that's not the issue.

Saskia
03-26-2014, 09:13 AM
kimwal:
I am very sorry for your loss, I guess breeding should really be thought trough since it comes with risks :(

kimwal
03-29-2014, 02:26 AM
It is unusual as I wasn't breeding her. Her tub was next to a male's tub though. I guess she couldn't reabsorb the egg or pass it--she never had laid eggs before. I have since bought a different kind of calcium w/o d for inside in a pot. I still sprinkle with calcium and plus d on the foods that gut load with veg from my organic garden. Life goes on as my tremper laid 2 eggs tonight that look really white --strong shell(last 2 weeks she really was on the new calcium)--hopefully they are fertile. :)
kimwal

Elizabeth Freer
04-06-2014, 01:39 AM
I like this question as I have had this problem also. Last year I had an eclipse that did the same thing. This year, I decided I would not breed her as she got stressed during the male/female introductions. Last week I found her dead in her box. She had the week before had a 1/4 inch area that was black on her abdomen--I thought it was going to be a poop and I did not think about it much. Over the next week I handled her-she seemed fine, I was not planning to breed her and she never went in with a male since a whole year ago. Long story short--the autopsy showed she was eggbound and bled into her abdomen. She even had a poop the night she died which was normal looking. I miss her tsk noise she made when I would pick her up, she was my pet--mine. I always pick mine up when I clean their box daily--they sit on my leg while I clean, I don't really handle them too much--just start taking them out and letting them sit quiet on you. I am sad about my eclipse-I never expected anything was wrong with her and she was big-big tail all of that--still bummed out.

kimwal ~

Just saw your post tonight. Very sorry about the recent loss of your eclipse.

Hope that you are beginning to heal.

Elizabeth Freer
04-06-2014, 01:43 AM
It is unusual as I wasn't breeding her. Her tub was next to a male's tub though. I guess she couldn't reabsorb the egg or pass it--she never had laid eggs before. I have since bought a different kind of calcium w/o d for inside in a pot. I still sprinkle with calcium and plus d on the foods that gut load with veg from my organic garden. Life goes on as my tremper laid 2 eggs tonight that look really white --strong shell(last 2 weeks she really was on the new calcium)--hopefully they are fertile. :)
kimwal

What brand of calcium, calcium with D3 were you using then? What brand now?

Any multivitamin?

Any dry diet for the crickets, other feeders?