PDA

View Full Version : Tokay Breeding Questions

shamilt1
03-21-2014, 06:07 PM
Hello guys, a newbie here doing some research about Tokays. From what I gather online, the breeding season starts around Jan and lasts about 4-5 months. This would make the ending of breeding period around April/May. From what I have read online, the Tokay is typically solitary except for the breeding season.

Two questions, is this time period correct, and do you remove the female after this period to her own enclosure to give her a "break"? Thanks for any help.

123user
03-21-2014, 06:29 PM
Yes I believe you got the time period correct and as for the 2nd question from what I understand after she lays about 6-8 eggs you should separate her from the male to give her a break.

Best of luck,
Kervin

shamilt1
03-23-2014, 11:25 PM
Thanks for the info!!!

123user
03-23-2014, 11:42 PM
No problem! Anytime!:)

Best Regards,
Kervin

Riverside Reptiles
03-24-2014, 05:39 PM
I've had tokay produce all year round. Some are more picky than others concerning breeding "season". Male will indeed often continue to breed females to the point of the females health being at risk. So, you should be prepared to separate them if need be to give the female a break. It really all depends on the particular pair.

billewicz
03-25-2014, 12:58 AM
Yes the breeding season is correct but remove the male from the nesting enclosure, not the female. Let her brood her eggs and young.

Also, Some Tokay adhere to the breeding season and some do not. Some will breed in captivity all year long.

Good luck and welcome to the Tokay portion of the Gecko Forums.

All the best,

Michael

Yes I believe you got the time period correct and as for the 2nd question from what I understand after she lays about 6-8 eggs you should separate her from the male to give her a break.

Best of luck,
Kervin