PDA

View Full Version : New to the Hobby Help!

unbeatablebonz
06-18-2014, 12:16 AM
Although I've been working with with all kinds of Herps for the past 25 years, I am having a tough time with both Gargs and Chewies. They are not eating -

I'm feeding Pangea Complete every other day mixed w a bit of calcium. Offering small Dubias once a week. I see no evidence (poop included) that these guys are eating.

Housing -

female Garg - 23 gms - 18 18 18 Exo
Female Garg - 42 gms - 18 24 18 Exo
Chewie male - 24 gms - 18 18 18 Exo

Temp - lowest 70 at night highest 75 by day
Humidity 40 - 90 - I mist twice a day

What the heck am I doing wrong? I never had this with any herps I've worked with. Very frustrating. Now the female that was 23 grams is 20 gms (5 weeks at my home) and her tail has become "wavy" reflecting a calcium crash. The breeder recommended I give her 2 - 3 cc's of liquid Calcium (Zilla) once a day and give her a better hide. She looks better after 4 days but is still not eating.

Should I put a small heat mat on the bottom of the tank to insure they are warm enough. No lights at all - trying not to stress them out.

My email address is rhacaddict@gmail.com.

Suggestions please!

Mike

Aimless
06-18-2014, 01:36 PM
it could absolutely be a husbandry issue.

as far as temp, what are your measured temperatures, and how are you measuring?

for the rest: please post a photo of each of the 3 enclosures. also, are they in a loud/busy/hectic part of the house? are they right next to the TV or a window? placement can be a stress factor even if the setup is spot on. however, we really need to see the setups.

and were the other 2 also acquired ~5 weeks ago?

Aimless
06-18-2014, 01:36 PM
(and welcome to GU, by the way!)

unbeatablebonz
06-18-2014, 07:30 PM

unbeatablebonz
06-18-2014, 07:33 PM
Temps are being minitered with a combo temp/hydrometer(digital) and a very accurate clciker device that gives an instant read. None are in high traffic areas. @ are by a window - but there the shade is down and being we are in the country there is no outside noise. I have obtained them all over the last 5 weeks.

MizTwisted
06-28-2014, 03:30 PM
Hope they are doing better! My only advice would be to go to the dollar store and go nutts in the fake plant section, I can hardly find my rhacs in their enclosures & I'm sure that's how they like it :-) also that way when you mist, there's more surface area to collect water.
Take care!

Replv4ev
07-11-2014, 12:32 PM
Hi there! The problem I see is the lack of foliage. Go to the pet store, reptile expo, dollar store etc and get a bunch of hanging plants, vines, bushes etc. A happy Rhac is a hidden Rhac. These guys aren't like leopard geckos, ball pythons etc. They love foliage and won't do will without it. In the wild they live in foliage, bushes, etc and if they don't have cover they don't feel safe. The tanks don't need to be jam packed but definitely need some more. I also suggest getting cork wood backgrounds for them. They are a little pricey but they love them and make them feel safe. Even if you don't see them on it a lot it adds a lot of comfort and makes the tank look better. Besides that, maybe trying different flavors of food.