PDA

View Full Version : Keeping male and female leopard geckos together

Superleo98
06-20-2014, 09:40 PM
Hello, I have a question regarding keeping pairs(male and female) of leopard geckos together. I have 2 pairs right now that have been together for a week now with no aggression. I was wondering if anyone else keeps pairs together with no problems. Also, I do keep a close eye on them just in case.

JIMI
06-20-2014, 09:56 PM
You should keep a spare enclosure on hand, just in case. I am guessing that you are planning on breeding them?

Superleo98
06-20-2014, 10:01 PM
Yes, I have a whole set up ready, and people willing to take some babies

JIMI
06-20-2014, 10:10 PM
Good luck with your breeding project:)

Yuk
06-20-2014, 10:43 PM
There are quite a few people with success keeping pairs. I've also heard stories of people having geckos living fine together for 3+ years and then suddenly fighting.

Completeleopard
06-21-2014, 10:48 AM
Hello and a warm welcome to GU.

It is generally not recommended to keep pairs together unless you want to breed. They can fight suddenly and you can end up with a badly injured Leo or worst.

As the above post said, there have been cases of Leo's living together for a while and suddenly a fight will break out. They will always compete for space, food, best hides etc and will stress them both out more if they are together compared to if they were on there own.

Also, people keep Leo's together and don't recognise the signs of discrete bullying, such as sleeping on top of one another, sleeping near the food bowl so the other can't get the food and there are many more.

I'd suggest researching as much as possible about it and also keeping a spare tank just in case they fight.

Good luck!

Superleo98
06-21-2014, 12:41 PM
I have researched hours upon on hours of leopard gecko breeding and am aware of the risks. If something does happen, I always have a spare tank

Superleo98
06-21-2014, 08:14 PM
Quick question. many people say that leopard geckos normally like to be alone without another companion, but does anyone know why? Is there scientific evidence that geckos don't like having a companion or even cuddle/show affection? Just curious...

Yuk
06-21-2014, 11:29 PM
I read a field paper that mentioned a subspecies of the leopard gecko lives in large colonies. There are also observations of solitary leopard geckos in the wild. My two that live together will ocassionally seek each other out to sleep together, but most of my hides are large enough for only one. They don't seem to like being stepped on or being crowded until they both have settled down. There really isn't a lot of information on leopard geckos in the wild, but I think it might depend on the personality of the gecko. My youngest sought out a companion and was very clingy while she was acclimating. Candy doesn't like being touched or stepped on and will rarely enter an occupied hide. Toothless doesn't seem to mind either way.

Superleo98
06-22-2014, 10:25 AM
Ok, the females are clingy to the males even though they are new. I actually believe it's a good thing because I know the females accept their males. Maiyer and Buki kinda just let them cuddle with them lol. Their both loving their moist hide! Ava and Emma still haven't eaten yet but they are active and they've maintained their weight. If another week goes by that they deny the superworms I'll go ahead and offer crickets. All in all, they are getting along very well.

Completeleopard
06-22-2014, 01:07 PM
Superleo ,

Not sure if there is much scientific evidence regarding keeping them together, but just experience.

Your Leo's will be more stressed by keeping them together, this has been shown by owners who have had Geckos' together, then put them in seperate enclosures and they have flourished.

Also been shown by Gecko's living together OK and the next day they suddenly fight and one of them is badly hurt, if they enjoyed living together, why fight to the point of badly hurting one another.

They will always compete for food, hides and territory, usually the bigger one will always get more food, more territory and better hiding places, this will stress the smaller one a lot and make the smaller one at higher risk of illness because their immune system will be weaker.

They only sleep in the same hides due to instinct and also because they are competing for a certain hide.

Superleo98
06-22-2014, 01:36 PM
Competing? Right now they are just sleeping together soundly. I tong feed them separately, so they don't compete for food. They are just being very nice to each other. My males are bigger than the females and the males have lived their first but they still accepted the females and neither genders have fought in any way. As for stress, I've seen no signs, and the males are still eating, the females are acclimating. I know that some people have success with it and some people don't. I appreciate your concern and awareness.

Completeleopard
06-22-2014, 01:49 PM
Yes, that is merely instinct! There have been cases where males and females have lived together and suddenly the male gets agressive, I am just telling you the experiences some owners have had to make you aware, at the end of the day, it is up to you!

Completeleopard
06-22-2014, 01:50 PM
P.s - have you quarentined your Leo's ?

Superleo98
06-22-2014, 02:00 PM
Before my dad got them for me, he asked the owner about the health of the Leo's. The owner says 3-4 months before selling them he quarantines the geckos so the new owners don't have to. He even had a signed sheet saying the geckos were healthy.