PDA

View Full Version : Florida gecko owners...

born_lucky407
09-26-2014, 03:49 PM
ive been looking at new housing ideas for my cresties. im leaning towards a exo terra or possibly a repti breeze or maybe a diy project. just lookin for any and all info and also trying to see all the different setups people have as im trying to gather as much information as possible before I start spending money i do live in florida and the ac runs all the time except a couple months out of the year. they are currently in a acrylic terrarium but are in need of more climbing space.. thanks

Amiego
09-26-2014, 04:46 PM
I think a glass vivarium would be better, if you have AC running consistently a repti breeze might dry out too quickly unless you mist often. I have an Exo-Terra 18x18x24 and its perfect, it holds humidity well and if I keep it out of direct sunlight it doesn't tend to overheat. It also offers lots of climbing space and easy access :)

born_lucky407
09-27-2014, 12:25 AM
good point on the repti breeze. I do have a auto mister setup on the enclosure they're in now. but idk im kinda leaning towards the exo terra idea, im thinkin of doin live plants as well so I think that might be my best bet.just tryin to get ideas more the less at this point

Amiego
09-27-2014, 07:15 AM
Both ReptiBreeze and Exo-Terra have added bottoms for a drainage layer and plants so both would be good if you want to go live. You could do a drainage layer in a DIY build but I wouldn't know how hard this would be to accomplish without wood rotting or whatever material you use, you would have to look that up.

Crested Gecko Natural Vivarium build journal (PIC HEAVY) - Reptile Forums (http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/habitat/877191-crested-gecko-natural-vivarium-build.html)

Here is a good DIY build done in a 45x45x60. Good luck :)

born_lucky407
09-27-2014, 01:01 PM
I went ahead and bought an exo terra. got it for next to nothing. appreciate the help amiego I will definitely post progress pics soon

Amiego
09-27-2014, 03:07 PM
Good luck with it :)
I definitely need to make my viv much more naturalistic, just no idea how to do it well as I have no artistic talent :)

born_lucky407
09-27-2014, 03:42 PM
I have two at the moment not including the one im working on now. I generally take ideas off of google or atleast try and replicate them with my own touch here or there lol. I just have to make room for my hatchlings while at the same time keeping my females and male seperated. I dont like the whole idea of breeding just because its more the less a hobby. sorry I kno I got a bit of topic lol

Amiego
09-27-2014, 03:55 PM
Good luck and keep us posted with pictures :)

CrestedRick
09-27-2014, 05:49 PM
Listen I have no artistic ability and just take a look at what I came up with. I think it came out pretty good and my geckos seem to love it.
http://www.geckosunlimited.com/community/naturalistic-vivarium/69056-starts-new-viv-build.html

born_lucky407
09-28-2014, 10:49 PM
that looks pretty cool. what kind of substrate did u use? im gettin foilage and what not for mine this week. will have progression pics soon

CrestedRick
09-30-2014, 06:47 PM
New England Herpetoculture LLC - Vivarium Substrates (http://www.neherpetoculture.com/substratesvivarium)

I use the NeHerp substrate. I use these guys for everything. Check out their site and see what you find.