PDA

View Full Version : Goliath stick insect

Geckodebz
03-11-2015, 07:36 PM
Hi all. Firstly, I apologise for the essay below. I'm just trying to give anyone and everyone who takes the time to read this as much info as I can,.... Secondly, Thankyou for taking the time to read this...... I am seeking advise on my adult female Goliath stick insect. I purchased two yesterday from a private seller, in their enclosure, complete with a branch from their regular food source tree. They are both gorgeous green and spectacular!! Brought them home yesterday arvo. One is enjoying munching the leaves at the top of the enclosure, the other is at the bottom,.... The thing I'm not too sure about is she's got black liquid on her vent. She seems to be laying eggs(!!!!! Yeah!!!!). But as this is my first stick insect.... I'm not sure if that's normal or not..... ... I just keep harking back to my childhood when I might find an injured grasshopper, and sometimes you'd see black stuff coming from its mouth. Has any body had stick insects? If there are any of you reading this, I sure could do with some info..... Or the reassure that the black liquid is normal. I went to bed at 11:00 last night, and when I work at 6:00 she had moved a little bit, but Still black stuff on vent. There is three eggs where there wasn't before... She seems to kinda strain at times also. Please if anyone can anything at all they can tell me.... I'd truly appreciate it. I can't contact the previous owner, as he's now on holiday.... Thanks in advance for anything and everything!......

Tongue Flicker
03-12-2015, 02:12 AM
The dark or greenish ooze are poop. The eggs should be white and/or is normally pressed below the soil surface just near plants.

I used to keep one and it fed well on indian almond leaves (Terminalia cattapa), guava leaves and Vomit fruit leaves (Morinda citrifolia).. Those plants commonly grow in the Asia-Pacific region so don't be surprised if you see one haha.
The black stuff from the mouth are defensive mechanisms. Even locusts spew out blood-like stuff from the mouth to make them look unappealing to predators

Geckodebz
03-12-2015, 03:59 AM
Thanks Neil. They are awesome indeed. Living in Australia... They feed on eucalyptus leaves .... I was just really concerned because of the runniness of it. There was poop there too... But a lot more solid. Hopefully all-good.... Will check again one once I'm home from work. Will keep you posted.... Xx

Geckodebz
03-12-2015, 08:59 AM
Hey Neil... And whoever else may be following this thread. I've checked my Goliath's out ... They are in the same spots.... The one at the top is still munching..... The one below is still doing what she was last night.... Still the black liquid, no more eggs that I can see..... She's just hanging there..... With the black liquid on the vent. Any further comments or views will be appreciated..... Xx

Tongue Flicker
03-13-2015, 09:26 AM
Hmm maybe switch with some other plant?
My blue eucalyptus is for the sole use of my sugar gliders only haha

Geckodebz
03-13-2015, 09:44 AM
Hi. Quick update. I've been spraying the leaves twice daily.... And yesterday when I sprayed.... She got active and moved from leaf to leaf gathering the water. Then she ate. She then stopped still for the rest of the night. She still has the black liquid on her vent.... But at least she's eaten. I didn't really wish to change the diet too soon, as this is the tree they have been feeding from at their original home. Thanks so very much for the support guys!! I truly appreciate it. Please keep the advise coming.... Xx.

Cymmie
04-13-2015, 12:10 AM
From what I understand from my stick insects and the research I have done on them, the sign of black ooze and a relatively soft body is the sign of a bacterial infection... However I am not quite sure how to treat that. All I know is it has something to do with their foodplant.

Geckodebz
04-15-2015, 11:04 AM
Hi Cymmie.

Sadly I have to update you all that my Goliath female did die. I am gutted. I have no idea what the problem was..... As there were strong stick insects and a male Goliath in the same enclosure, and they are all doing great
I wish to say a very BIGGGGG THANKYOU to all those who took the time to read and reply to my pleas for help and advice.
Even though it was a sad outcome..... It is nice to know that I had support out there.

Take care all.....

Cymmie
04-15-2015, 10:39 PM
I am sorry to hear your female died. I wish I could've been more help. But hopefully you will find another or hatch her eggs and it will not be for nothing. Good luck and don't give up ^^

Geckodebz
04-18-2015, 08:22 PM
Thanks so very much for your words of support and comfort Cymmie. I truly appreciate it. I am still devastated.... But at least still have my male Goliath, and a male strong with his three females.
They are such fascinating critters to watch
I did manage to collect some Goliath eggs, so, here's hoping.
I must apologise, Cymmie.... In my perplexed state, I did not even give you a Welcome to the forum.
I too am relatively new .
It has been a real boon. The people are friendly, and very knowledgeable.
Where are you located.... And, what critters,.. Including your insects, do you have?
I have Two nephrurus levis.... And four strophurus spinigerus.
Really looking forward to chatting with you some more.
Feel free to send a PM if you'd like....
Thanks agsin
Xxxxxxxooooooo

Cymmie
04-18-2015, 11:17 PM
I have several species of roach, I will give their general names for those who don't know their scientific names and I sometimes mix up certain species with other species.... I have Blaberus Craniifer (Death's Head Roaches), Blaberus Dubia (Dubia Roaches lol), Panchlora Nivea "Giant" (Giant Green Banana Roaches), and Hemiblabera tenebricosa (Horseshoe Crab Roach).

Then I have an unknown species of phyllium (leaf insect) that eats oak quite readily. Still need to get an ID on the little ones. I also have some Indian Stick Insects (unsure of their scientific name) which are just now hatching their second generation.

I am located in beautiful California, USA. Where leaf and stick insects are not so prevalent as a pet. I also have four leos, two chameleons (one a rehabilitation project who I hope to get better soon), a tortoise, 30 land hermit crabs, two crested geckos, a blue tongue skink, one rat, one hamster, two birds, a dog and two cats.... omg when I type it out it takes forever XD