PDA

View Full Version : Spaghnum Moss as a substrate?

alexr
04-19-2015, 03:38 PM
I'm moving my 6 year old leopard gecko into a 20 gallon tank received by a friend who used it for a turtle. I want to use a substrate that is not sand because it seems to interfere with her shedding and get stuck between her toes. I was thinking of using spaghnum moss as the substrate and just put sand under her hut where she sleeps with the heating pad. What are your stories with spaghnum moss?

majahawt
04-19-2015, 04:15 PM
I'm moving my 6 year old leopard gecko into a 20 gallon tank received by a friend who used it for a turtle. I want to use a substrate that is not sand because it seems to interfere with her shedding and get stuck between her toes. I was thinking of using spaghnum moss as the substrate and just put sand under her hut where she sleeps with the heating pad. What are your stories with spaghnum moss?

Spaghnum moss can be dangerous as a substrate in the moist hide, let alone in the hole tank! A few months ago, I had to pull bunches of moss out of one of my leo's butt because she couldn't pass it herself.

The absolute best substrates are tile, paper towel or reptile carpet. Tile is the easiest to clean and the safest (impaction-wise).

Do you have a moist hide?

alexr
04-19-2015, 04:29 PM
Yes, I have a moist hide box for her with spaghnum moss already in old tank which is all sand and it didn't work for her, although I've heard from some people it works for their geckos. How could moss be more dangerous than sand? I give her the proper vitamins, I don't see what's beneficial for her with moss

alexr
04-19-2015, 04:38 PM
I'm just going to stick with sand for now, maybe a smaller grain sand. It seems that every substrate has some horror story to it, but I think people aren't willing to experiment first and just listen to uninformed people and then their terrarium is just boring lol poor geckos

majahawt
04-19-2015, 04:50 PM
Moss is more difficult to pass because it's long and stringy. Some leos are perfectly fine with it in their moist hides and some just really like eating it :/ Some leos eat paper towels too!

LEOPARD1
04-19-2015, 07:24 PM
Moss tends to stink and can accidentally be ingested *Edit* You mean covering the floor of the enclosure in moss? Just research where Leopard Geckos are native to. Then look at pictures of those environments.

Duck Brand Shelf Liner (non perforated) or tile.

Elizabeth Freer
04-19-2015, 07:59 PM
I'm just going to stick with sand for now, maybe a smaller grain sand. It seems that every substrate has some horror story to it, but I think people aren't willing to experiment first and just listen to uninformed people and then their terrarium is just boring lol poor geckos

A warm welcome to Geckos Unlimited! :)

Only consider quartz sand because of the rounded crystals; silica sand has sharp pointy crystals! Both sand and carpet are difficult to keep clean from a leo's feces, urates, and urine. That's why ~3/8 inch thick roughly textured tile rocks. Tile eliminates substrate impaction, conducts heat well, looks good, is easy to clean, permanent, and inexpensive.

Click leo Peach: http://www.geckosunlimited.com/community/leopard-geckos-general-info-intros-and-pics/67832-leo-peach-fight-sand-impaction.html

Even for adult leos I do not recommend sand. GU sees too many horror stories of leo's dieing from sand impaction.

That's my leo on the sphagnum moss bedding in her humid hide. The moss is packed down well. She's never eaten it. kholtme likes packed Eco Earth coco fiber in his leo's humid hide.

Here's her 30 x 12 x 12 inch enclosure. It's about 50% tile & slate combo; 50% paper towel. The black slate is underneath the center hide.

kholtme
04-19-2015, 10:41 PM
Misinformed people are the ones that use sand and say it is okay. Some leos do fine on it, but why take the risk. Tile is by far the best substrate and I have heard no horror stories from it.

LEOPARD1
04-20-2015, 02:01 AM
Misinformed people are the ones that use sand and say it is okay. Some leos do fine on it, but why take the risk. Tile is by far the best substrate and I have heard no horror stories from it.

I will say both Duck Brand Shelf Liner and Tile are equal. No one is better unless you are like me and insist your substrate be one entire piece:-)