PDA

View Full Version : Would like to get into breeding.

s.iker
08-05-2015, 09:53 PM
Hey there. Newbie over here, First time post... Been kinda going through a bunch of different forums but just joined this one. :D

So i have gotten my LG about a month ago. Kinda a Rescue situation... But anyways, it got me to get on the forums to make sure that im caring for her correctly. Anyways one thing led to another and bam, im full obsessed with my gecko, and want to get more into it...

So been doing the research, (and no im not done yet) on breeding, Incubating and hatching care. etc

I do not plan on breeding Knuckles-Thee-dragon, K-T-D for short, (my rescue), at all. Shes my pet and that's all she'll be. No history on her at all. Just that she ate her cage mate, and that upset the original owners... so instead of euthanize her, i took her, (with owners permission of course), i work at a vets office.

ANY-WHoooooo...... Im interested in obtaining a pair of 100% super giants. I dont see many people talking about them or anything, so im wondering if anyone has any insight on them... Do they need anything different, due to size? Food, calcium, anything? Breeding wise, dose anything change? i have kinda searched the forum and didnt really see much... but maybe im blind and missed something.. its known to happen.. :coverlaugh:

Now im still looking into everything. And i understand that breeding wont make money, which i am not looking for. Kinda like the reason people should breed dogs, would be to better the breed/Species. Breed in the good and breed out the bad qualities. Etc. will that happen over night, no. Is it possible to make a difference, maybe. *shruggs* who knows, maybe by the time my great grand kids are old enough they would carry on the legend of my name with gecko Breeding! ... ok sorry getting ahead of myself here.. LOL

Eh Hem...

Now i live in Wisconsin, between green bay and Milwaukee... If theres any breeders around me for the SGs, any directions would be GREAT! And thanks for everything..

Anything else anyone can think of Let me know. Im open to a lot of things.

Thanks guys!

Tokaybyt
08-06-2015, 12:55 AM
Garrick DeMeyer...great guy, lives in WI, he can be found at crestedgecko(dot)com.

s.iker
08-06-2015, 09:02 AM
Thanks. do you know of any others? It looks as tho he does not have any SG atm. Maybe i'll send him a message and ask if he has any planned for the future....

Tokaybyt
08-07-2015, 02:08 AM
I would shoot Garrick an email. He might have stuff not posted or currently incubating. I'm unsure of others that are in your area that work with the giant gene.

s.iker
08-07-2015, 11:35 AM
Yea i did email him. He doesnt deal with SGs. :(. I guess ill have to find and order online. :/
Know anyone that way with 100% SG?

Lana&Squirt1999
08-14-2015, 11:07 PM
Living up north largely increases the chance of them freezing to death in the event of escape or a power outage. Although it would surely be fun, the world has enough animals it cant take care of. Just thinking of the geckos :)

AlphaWolf
08-17-2015, 07:36 PM
I agree with Lana&Squirt1999. In addition, if you are going to breed start with normal genetics. You have to be well-versed in genetics if you do not want to produce a mutated leopard gecko baby. Do I know what traits are recessive, dominant, co-dominant, etc. in my Leopard Gecko? Am I willing to put forth the time, money, and effort to take care of a new life?

These are some of the questions that you should ask yourself before breeding. I recommend spending at least one year with your Leopard Gecko before you decide you want to breed.

I'm sure you are still quite excited about your pet leopard gecko, but some of that excitement might go away over time, and by then you'll have at least 2 other leopard geckos to take care of if all goes well.

me3rhymes
08-22-2015, 01:42 PM
Hi! I may have read this wrong, but if you only got your gecko a month ago you might not want to jump into breeding it. With all the answers you're getting, you should still do a lot of research. Different breeders to different things. Anyways, I'd suggest you place the male in the female's tank, so that there is no territorial action. It may take a while. Mine took almost a month to finally mate. You can feed them both the normal amounts and add in a lay box; make sure to keep it humid. The only reason my two eggs didn't survive was because my female laid in her dry hide and I woke up too late to move them safely. Making eggs takes a lot of calcium so be sure to supplement your gravid or just ovulating female. I've had gravid and ovulating females die of malnourishment. Good luck breeding your geckos!

me3rhymes
08-22-2015, 01:46 PM
Different breeders do different things. I try to type too fast and I automatically typed "t" instead of "d". Typing the word "automatically" was annoying.