PDA

View Full Version : Please help me with my Gargoyle Gecko!

gordensmama
08-11-2015, 09:45 PM
Ok , so I just got a 2 yr old female gargoyle gecko from a lady that lives down the street from me . She was selling her online for a very cheap price , along with her encloser and everything in it.
Yesterday I went to go look at her , come to realize that she was almost abused . The temperature was way too high, the humidity was at 12%, she had some shed still left on her , and apparently she wound not climb walls. She was so dry, that she was a white color, and didn't look like she has peed very much , as to they hadn't ever sprayed her in the two months they had her. They only fed her banana baby food and one a month give her five crickets.
They had also never handled her , being afraid she might run away. And there was old poop on the dried up water dish.
They had never named her either , so I named her Brooklyn ;)
Anyways, I felt so bad for her that I had to take her. So today I went back for her , and I had a container to put her in , so I put my hand in the cage , moved a plant (may I say, very, dirty plant)and then she hissed at me and turned her head so quickly as to bite me . She was so scared that I just left her in her encloser till we got home.
She is now in my home , has 94% humidity , I sprayed her , and now shes a dark gray !
I really want to clean her encloser and decorate the tank better(she is in a 18x18x24 eco terra) but I'm afraid she will be scared of me the rest of her life .I really want to give her the best life , but i need to take her out , right?
Please help!!
any help would be greatly appreciated :)

acpart
08-12-2015, 01:01 AM
Give her some time, at least 2 weeks to get adjusted. Feed her, keep things clean and talk to her. She's had a tough start to life, so it will take her some time. She hissed at you because she's scared, as you've probably figured out. Good luck with her, it sounds as if she has a good home now.

Aliza

gordensmama
08-12-2015, 09:39 AM
Thank you☺

gordensmama
08-13-2015, 04:35 PM
My gargoyle gecko that I recently rescued (you may have seen my other post) is extremely skinny. You can see each of her ribs, and her spine too. What do you recommend to "fatten" her up? She's 2 years old if you're wondering and has only been fed by the other owners baby banana food. Plus shes really hand shy/scared.

Hilde
08-13-2015, 06:06 PM
gordensmama, I've moved your 2nd thread into this original one since it's about the same gecko.
Please continue in this thread when dealing with this gargoyle, it's much easier to keep track of the post(s) and it's in the correct sub-forum.

acpart
08-14-2015, 07:16 PM
Get one of the crested gecko diet brands. The 2 most common are Repashy and Pangea. See if you can get it to eat crickets as well. You may have to hold the gecko and push a cricket gently against the mouth until it bites into it. Many gargoyles don't really know what a cricket it (or that it tastes good) until they are "encouraged" to try some

Aliza