PDA

View Full Version : Confused

QuidNovi
12-21-2015, 12:51 AM
Hi all!

Im new to owning a leo, only having mine since August. I've been reading some of the topics here and I've gotten a little confused. I originally used paper towels for the bottom of my leo's tank without any issues at first. However, my leo didn't seem to be getting enough heat. He's constantly really cold, even after i got a blue heat lamp for him. I switched over to eco earth, and he seems much happier with the change, he's still a little cold whenever i take him out but his tank has a definite warm and cool side now. However now I'm reading that eco earth can be really bad for them. I've noticed a slight change in his eating habits, and I'm concerned he might have an impaction. I honestly have no idea what to do :(

Yoshi'smom
12-21-2015, 11:03 AM
I would definitely not recommend eco earth for the impaction risks it poses.
Do you have a home depot or Lowes nearby? You can get individual ceramic tiles for really cheap to use as a substrate. They hold heat really well.
Do you only use a heat lamp as a means of heat? If so, this could be why your gecko's appetite has curbed. Leopard geckos require belly heat by means of a UTH or under tank heater to digest their food.
Do you feed inside the enclosure?
If you could give us more info we might be able to help a little more.

the funky gecko
12-21-2015, 05:06 PM
Please do not use eco earth! Paper towels or ceramic tiles are one of the best things for a leopard gecko. It sounds like he isn't getting enough heat because of the heat bulb you're using. Since leopard geckos are nocturnal they are bothered by blue and white heat lamps. A red heat bulb or ceramic one should do the trick. They are blind to red so it wont bother them. A leopard geckos tank should be kept at 89-92 degrees on the warm side and 75-83 degrees on the cool side. Use a heat gun or some kind of electronic temperature gauge to determine the exact temp of the cage. Hope this helps.

Elizabeth Freer
12-21-2015, 06:12 PM
Hi ~

Welcome aboard!

Leos depend upon belly heat to digest their food.

What size is your leo's enclosure? Can you get an UTH (under tank heat mat) soon? A good size is half the area of the enclosure's floor.

Leos can see colored lights of all sorts. That's why a ceramic heat emitter (CHE) is best for overhead heating.

Especially read Hilde's posts 40-44 on this thread: http://www.geckosunlimited.com/community/n00b-central/56996-night-light-answer-please-4.html

QuidNovi
12-22-2015, 01:40 AM
I would definitely not recommend eco earth for the impaction risks it poses.
Do you have a home depot or Lowes nearby? You can get individual ceramic tiles for really cheap to use as a substrate. They hold heat really well.
Do you only use a heat lamp as a means of heat? If so, this could be why your gecko's appetite has curbed. Leopard geckos require belly heat by means of a UTH or under tank heater to digest their food.
Do you feed inside the enclosure?
If you could give us more info we might be able to help a little more.

I have an UTH, its a medium one that takes up like a third of the tank. I got the heat lame as a second source of heat. I do feed him inside his enclosure. He has leopard food that I got at the store along with a dish of mealworms and calcium +D3.

thefunkygecko
I've gotten a red light and it seemed to heat up too much almost. I got the least watt of blue light that helps keep the tank at a constant 84 degrees.

elizabeth
I feel like i did my research all wrong now :(