PDA

View Full Version : How & When to separate male and female Leos

l_terrestrial
02-18-2016, 10:08 PM
Hi, all!

I just registered for this site today, although I've read several threads via Google for a while now- so first of all, I'm sorry if this question has been fully addressed elsewhere.

Anyway, I have two leopard geckos that I got back in July (they were about a month old at the time, and were housed in the same tank beforehand). They're about 8 months old now, and have been co-habitating since I got them.

I tried to do a lot of research before getting them, but unfortunately I didn't consider the fact that I wouldn't be able to tell their sexes until they were a little older (a bit embarrassed to say this, but hope others can learn from my mistake). I've seen no signs of aggression or stress due to co-habitating so far (they each have multiple hides that they prefer, gravitate towards separate food dishes, etc.), but I am concerned about their individual needs as they mature.

Throughout the winter, I've tried to keep the temperature and humidity in their tank constant, and it sits between 75-80 degrees fahrenheit (occasionally it dips to ~70, say during the night, but I do adjust when I notice this). I include this, because I've read some material on the web about the relationship between brumation and successful breeding in the spring. I didn't cool my geckos by much this winter, and when winter set in I still wasn't sure what sex they are.

Now I realize I have a male and female leo, and I'm curious as to

A) How & when I should re-home them in separate tanks if necessary, and
B) If I should decrease the temp in their habitat for the remainder of the winter

Sorry if this was a roundabout way of asking these questions, but I want to give as much info as possible

Thanks,

LT

JessJohnson87
02-18-2016, 11:10 PM
This is not my area of expertise but here's some reading material
Breeding Leopard Geckos | The Gecko Spot (http://www.thegeckospot.net/leobreeding.php)

Elizabeth Freer
02-19-2016, 06:06 AM
Hello ~

Welcome aboard.

Your pair of leos should be separated right away. Anything less than 18 mo will be hard on the female if they mate.

What type thermometer have you measured these temps with? Are they ground or air temps?

Here's a temperature guide for all leopard geckos as measured by the probe of a digital thermometer

88-92 F (31.1-33.3 C) ground temperature right underneath a leo's warm dry hide
no greater than 82ish F (27.8ish C) air temperature - 4 inches above ground on the warm end
no greater than 75 F (23.9 C) air temperature - 4 inches above ground on the cool end

Yoshi'smom
02-19-2016, 10:56 AM
Welcome to GU! Glad to have you and answer any questions you have.
I too would recommend that you separate your geckos as soon as possible for the reason of possible early mating.
Elizabeth outlined proper temperatures in the above post for your geckos. These temperatures should be maintained all year long.