PDA

View Full Version : Tokay shedding ???

wolf100
06-26-2016, 05:22 AM
Hello. I have two juvenile Tokays. Both are about 5 inch .

How do Tokays shed? At once like Cresties overnight ?
Or could it last longer like with other reptiles. My boy has a piece of shed on his back. I first recognized loose shed about 12 hours ago.
Is its okay ?

wolf100
06-29-2016, 01:37 PM
After a sauna and Zoomed Shed Aid he or she has lost the bad skin except a little piece just before the tail. But it is moist and oily from the shed aid and i'm sure it will fall of the next days. He or she is brighter blue now...

Elizabeth Freer
06-30-2016, 05:13 AM
After a sauna and Zoomed Shed Aid he or she has lost the bad skin except a little piece just before the tail. But it is moist and oily from the shed aid and i'm sure it will fall of the next days. He or she is brighter blue now...

:cheer: The stuck shed is nearly gone. That's a huge improvement!

I've never kept tokays. Are you keeping the vivarium humid enough?

wolf100
06-30-2016, 05:18 AM
Hi. Yes. After misting at 09:30 pm it is about 85 to 94 %.
During the day it falls to 70 - 60 %.

29,5 to 31,3 degrees Celsius at the top. On the ground 25 degrees.

Imho everything is as it should be.....

wolf100
06-30-2016, 05:20 AM
Thus is his cage.

Elizabeth Freer
06-30-2016, 05:27 AM
Thus is his cage.
His vivarium looks nice to me.

Live plants really help maintain good humidity. Of course it is natural for the humidity to spike right after misting and then drop during the day.

wolf100
07-01-2016, 10:43 AM
Got him out again. The spot where I saw the old she'd was dark. I out him in a critter keeper and sprayed Shed aid on her. After 20 minutes I took her out to look. The black spot looks like insured skin. What do you think ? Did she scratch or rub her skin away. Is it harmful ???

wolf100
07-01-2016, 06:49 PM
New pic. Looks like new skin...

billewicz
07-05-2016, 01:38 AM
New pic. Looks like new skin...

Hello, This female has lots of scarring from another female. Females will fight especially if there is a male present, or within calling distance. Females bite other females on the back and at the hips. They will eventually break the weaker female's back and she will die from this.

If these are old scars, than just know the shed may tear at these locations over the next couple of months. Eventually, as they heal, the sheds will begin to come off as one piece again, and you may never see them since Tokay eat their sheds at night.

All the best,

Michael's Tokay Hoard

Also, good, high quality gut-loading of your feeder insects to provide extra nutrition is essential for good sheds as well as the right humidity as noted before.

wolf100
07-05-2016, 05:26 AM
Hi Michael. Thanks for your help. But this female is a CB and was housed alone. I nought her together with a male. They are separated in two different habits until the female gains over 70 gramm.

wolf100
07-05-2016, 05:29 AM
This is her when I brought her home. Uninjured...

I also Ave sent some pics to my vet. He means it could be some burning. Nut I just have two exoterra 5.0 UVB bulbs outside the cage over the mesh. So this should be no problem, too.

wolf100
07-05-2016, 05:31 AM
I tried to put away her stuck shed with a cue zip and with finger rubbing. I hope i'm not responsible for her injury.

But it seems to heal. Here is a pic of it from the last days.

Lozmick geckos
07-08-2016, 03:40 PM
Raise the humidity as much as possible. Tokays shed at night and generally eat it fascinating to watch.

Aimless
07-08-2016, 06:38 PM
agreed. higher humidity may be needed in order for proper shedding.

I'd keep an eye on that wound. the color looks alright, but as it's still open it could develop infection.