Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    8
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default I don't know what to do anymore!!!


    LOG IN TO CLOSE THIS AD   


    I have been stressing very long about my poor gecko. I will try to give all details. And I am going to sound like a horrible owner. So one week ago, i was painting with acrylic paints when my crested decides to jump from my hand to a near box, misses, and lands in the paint. I freak out and call poison control after i saw he licked a bit and washed every bit of him off. Poison control confirmed the paint was non-toxic but i still took him to the vet first thing in the morning. The vet was not concerned and said it should pass. I give him soaks twice a day every day to get him to poop. But the thing is, he hasn't pooped yet, in a WEEK. I try to hand feed him but he has never been one for hand feeding and since he is only up at night I can't tell if he is eating. Obviously not he hasn't pooped. I am very concerned. A few days ago he shed all his skin and ate it all and I have heard they tend to stop eating during shed. I have taken him to the vet a second time for an x-ray and they saw no blockage. Here is another shocker, he went from 26 grams to 23 grams within a few weeks. How can I get him to eat? What is happening? He acts completely normal as of now. Could it be because he just shed and also went through a stressful moment with the paint? What do I do? Is all hope lost? Parasites?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    56
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    It could be the stress of the shed and perhaps the paint, but if the paint was truthfully harmful, he would have perished or become severely ill in less than 24 hours so I doubt the paint had much if anything to do with it. Parasites wouldn't be my first guess, but a stressed gecko can have a weakened immune system, making them more susceptible to naturally occurring parasites and bacteria. Are you sure he isn't going to the bathroom at all? Have you checked everything in his cage to ensure you're not missing it? I would have your vet test for parasites, but your vet has eliminated a majority of the problems it could be. I would wait it out and see how things progress. Best wishes, hope your little one feels better soon
    2.0.0 Leopard geckos~Teep+Draco
    0.1.0 Crested geckos~Mila
    2.0.0 Syrian hamsters~Duncan+Chance
    0.2.0 Gerbils~Mitzi+Ginger
    0.1.0 rabbits~Willow


    "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"-Carl Sagan
    Likes Revasius, Aimless liked this post

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,492
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    also consider that handling, checking, soaking, etc can all lead to further stress. I'd just let him be as much as possible for at least several days and let him work it out.
    Morelia spilota harrisoni * Morelia spilota mcdowelli * Liasis fuscus * Liasis mackloti * Liasis mackloti savuensis * Liasis olivaceous olivaceous* Anteresia maculosa * Gekko gecko * Correlophus ciliatus * Blaesodactylus boivini * Lepidodactylus lugubris
    Likes Revasius liked this post

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    New England, USA
    Posts
    168
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default


    LOG IN TO CLOSE THIS AD   


    Agreed. Leave the gecko alone for a few days, keep offering food and misting as usual, but stop handling him as that will just stress him out further.
    2.2.3 Crested Geckos

User Tag List

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •