Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 32
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2021
    Posts
    33
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Providing uvb - how to supplement??


    LOG IN TO CLOSE THIS AD   


    Hello!

    My crested has minor mbd -


    I just bought him an Arcadia 7% UVB Shadedweller.

    Now since Iím going to start providing him with uvb, how exactly should I supplement him?

    He gets Crested gecko diet either Pangea or repashy, and I plan on feeding bugs once a week from now on.


    So how should I supplement his feeders? Should I ever use d3 on them, if so when and what brand?

    How often should the feeders be sprinkled with a multivitamin, and how often just calcium powder.

    And should the crested gecko diet ever be sprinkled with any supplements?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    USA: Oregon
    Posts
    22,546
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frankiesmoma View Post
    Hello!

    My crested has minor mbd -


    I just bought him an Arcadia 7% UVB Shadedweller.

    Now since I’m going to start providing him with uvb, how exactly should I supplement him?

    He gets Crested gecko diet either Pangea or repashy, and I plan on feeding bugs once a week from now on.

    So how should I supplement his feeders? Should I ever use d3 on them, if so when and what brand?

    How often should the feeders be sprinkled with a multivitamin, and how often just calcium powder.

    And should the crested gecko diet ever be sprinkled with any supplements?
    Hi ~

    I've not forgotten to update your thread.

    Does Frankie stick to glass now? Something is still wrong if Frankie doesn't stick to glass yet.

    I really would not give Frankie ANY UVB until he begins to reliably stick to glass. UVB demands an entirely different method of adjustment. Cresties often hide during the days and appear during the evening, night, & dawn. This means cresties wouldn't be out & about when the UVB is on. So how would cresties absorb ANY UVB?

    Frankie needs to reliably eat dusted bugs & worms to recover from his minor MBD prior to introducing UVB. This takes more patience. You've said that Frankie needs to be force feed Pangea & wipes any Pangea off his nose. That makes it very difficult to assess just how much nutrition Frankie's getting from Pangea. I have not heard Frankie likes Pangea any better. Frankie needs to reliably eat Pangea to help us out.

    Once Frankie sticks that's the time to attempt to change his lighting & "heating".

    What dimensions is Frankie's enclosure?

    UVB is a science. When UVB is provided for leos, UVB needs to be placed right next to the heat source for proper absorption. I don't know IF Arcadia's ShadeDweller provides absorbable UVB when room temps are in the 70s *F.

    Your former thread:
    Crested gecko not sticking
    Last edited by Elizabeth Freer; 01-22-2022 at 05:20 PM.
    Click: Leopard Gecko Care Sheet's Table of Contents

    Oedura castelnaui ~ Lepidodactylus lugubris ~ Gekko kuhli ~ Cyrtodactylus zebraicus ~ Phyllurus platurus ~ Eublepharis macularius ~ Correlophus ciliatus ~ (Phelsuma barbouri) ~ (Lygodactylus kimhowelli) ~ (P tigrinus) ~ (P klemmeri) ~ (H garnotii)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2021
    Posts
    33
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth Freer View Post
    Hi ~

    I've not forgotten to update your thread.

    Does Frankie stick to glass now? Something is still wrong if Frankie doesn't stick to glass yet.

    I really would not give Frankie ANY UVB until he begins to reliably stick to glass. UVB demands an entirely different method of adjustment. Cresties often hide during the days and appear during the evening, night, & dawn. This means cresties wouldn't be out & about when the UVB is on. So how would cresties absorb ANY UVB?

    Frankie needs to reliably eat dusted bugs & worms to recover from his minor MBD prior to introducing UVB. This takes more patience. You've said that Frankie needs to be force feed Pangea & wipes any Pangea off his nose. That makes it very difficult to assess just how much nutrition Frankie's getting from Pangea. I have not heard Frankie likes Pangea any better. Frankie needs to reliably eat Pangea to help us out.

    Once Frankie sticks that's the time to attempt to change his lighting & "heating".

    What dimensions is Frankie's enclosure?

    UVB is a science. When UVB is provided for leos, UVB needs to be placed right next to the heat source for proper absorption. I don't know IF Arcadia's ShadeDweller provides absorbable UVB when room temps are in the 70s *F.

    Your former thread:
    Crested gecko not sticking


    Hey Elizabeth!


    Iíve been doing lots of research and seeing lots of different information so Iíve been coming to multiple different conclusion but regardless Iíve seen him stick to the cleaner areas of the glass on his enclosure recently and when he goes on my hands and arms I can really feel his stick, but he still canít stick to the parts of his enclosure that have minerals stuck to the glass so Iím assuming I need to scrape that off with a scraper, so yes his stick got better the past week or so!

    Iím going to order the products you told me to Iím still confused as to whether give Pangea or not because my vet did say to, I wonít use his uvb until I feel like itís appropriate he also has another vet appointment and X-ray this coming Friday , I have a Arcadia DHP that Iím gonna put right next to his uvb lamp so that should be fine I think, I also got a dimming thermostat which did indeed run me for my money but I just want whatís best for him even if Iím over paying. Iím just still really confused on how to supplement him, and how often to feed bugs, because I got conflicting information from so many different sources, I take your advice and my vets and also people on Reddit and Iím just confusing myself I think.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2021
    Posts
    33
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth Freer View Post
    Hi ~

    I've not forgotten to update your thread.

    Does Frankie stick to glass now? Something is still wrong if Frankie doesn't stick to glass yet.

    I really would not give Frankie ANY UVB until he begins to reliably stick to glass. UVB demands an entirely different method of adjustment. Cresties often hide during the days and appear during the evening, night, & dawn. This means cresties wouldn't be out & about when the UVB is on. So how would cresties absorb ANY UVB?

    Frankie needs to reliably eat dusted bugs & worms to recover from his minor MBD prior to introducing UVB. This takes more patience. You've said that Frankie needs to be force feed Pangea & wipes any Pangea off his nose. That makes it very difficult to assess just how much nutrition Frankie's getting from Pangea. I have not heard Frankie likes Pangea any better. Frankie needs to reliably eat Pangea to help us out.

    Once Frankie sticks that's the time to attempt to change his lighting & "heating".

    What dimensions is Frankie's enclosure?

    UVB is a science. When UVB is provided for leos, UVB needs to be placed right next to the heat source for proper absorption. I don't know IF Arcadia's ShadeDweller provides absorbable UVB when room temps are in the 70s *F.

    Your former thread:
    Crested gecko not sticking

    I know I’m probably over complicating everything but I feel as if I’ve been failing as his owner and just want to do the best thing, see I don’t know if I should just keep giving him insects or take a break from them to encourage him to actually eat. Crested gecko diet, my vet told me to do both but I don’t think she fully understands how this gecko really won’t consume his Pangea, then you said to do only bugs but then I thought what if I do that and he won’t eat crested gecko diet ever again? I’m so confused to be honest

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    USA: Oregon
    Posts
    22,546
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frankiesmoma View Post
    I know I’m probably over complicating everything but I feel as if I’ve been failing as his owner and just want to do the best thing, see I don’t know if I should just keep giving him insects or take a break from them to encourage him to actually eat. Crested gecko diet, my vet told me to do both but I don’t think she fully understands how this gecko really won’t consume his Pangea, then you said to do only bugs but then I thought what if I do that and he won’t eat crested gecko diet ever again? I’m so confused to be honest
    MANY EDITS!

    This is VITAL.
    What are the precise dimensions of Frankie's enclosure -- the enclosure you plan to use for UVB?


    I've read all your messages on both your threads. You came to GU for advice. I'm sharing the best advice I have.

    My crested gecko is about 17 yo. I've had him for 15 years. For 7.5 years he only ate dusted bugs. Then I switched to Pangea complete diets + some bugs. Now he doesn't want ANY bugs. He does not have UVB.

    Now is NOT the time to give Frankie a break from insects to force him to eat Pangea !!! It's vital for Frankie to regain his health first!!! Now is the time to totally take a break from Pangea & Repashy! I don't know how else to say these things. Once again Frankie NEEDS to reliably eat!!! Because he's so iffy about Pangea, I recommended discontinuing Pangea until Frankie totally recovers his stick!!!

    I don't know what folks feed crested geckos when they provide UVB for that gecko. All Pangea complete diets contain vitamin D3. Most/all (?) Pangea diets are complete. Non-expired Pangea complete diets rarely need extra supplementation for crested geckos.



    Only AFTER 10 month old - 15 Gram Frankie is reliably basking under UVB, then supplement his bugs & worms 3x per week as follows.

    Both supplement & feeding frequency decrease to Mondays & Thursdays when Frankie is 18 months old+.

    When using UVB IF Frankie is eating ONLY bugs & worms you'd definitely want to provide:
    • Mondays ~ Zoo Med's Reptivite multivitamins withOUT D3 @ 1 feeding per week
    • Wednesdays & Fridays ~ Zoo Med's Repti Calcium withOUT D3 @ 2 feedings per week (Can use Amazon's NOW plain calcium instead. Plain calcium never expires.)
    • Then @ 1-2 feedings per month use Zoo Med's Repti Calcium with D3 as a backup D3 dose instead of plain calcium @ 1 of 2 feedings for those 2 weeks.
    Last edited by Elizabeth Freer; 01-23-2022 at 01:45 AM.
    Click: Leopard Gecko Care Sheet's Table of Contents

    Oedura castelnaui ~ Lepidodactylus lugubris ~ Gekko kuhli ~ Cyrtodactylus zebraicus ~ Phyllurus platurus ~ Eublepharis macularius ~ Correlophus ciliatus ~ (Phelsuma barbouri) ~ (Lygodactylus kimhowelli) ~ (P tigrinus) ~ (P klemmeri) ~ (H garnotii)
    Thanks Frankiesmoma thanked for this post
    Likes Frankiesmoma liked this post

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2021
    Posts
    33
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth Freer View Post
    This is VITAL.
    What are the precise dimensions of Frankie's enclosure -- the enclosure you plan to use for UVB?


    I've read all your messages on both your threads. You came to GU for advice. I'm sharing the best advice I have.

    My crested gecko is about 17 yo. I've had him for 15 years. For 7.5 years he only ate dusted bugs. Then I switched 100% to Pangea complete diets. Now he doesn't want bugs. He does not have UVB.

    Now is NOT the time to give Frankie a break from insects to force him to eat Pangea !!! It is vital is for Frankie to regain his health first!!! Now is the time to totally take a break from Pangea & Repashy! I don't know how else to say these things. Once again Frankie NEEDS to reliably eat!!! Because he's so iffy about Pangea, I recommended discontinuing Pangea until Frankie totally recovers his stick!!!

    I really don't know what folks do when they provide UVB for a crestie. All Pangea complete diets contain vitamin D3. All Pangea diets are complete. Non-expired Pangea complete diets rarely need extra supplementation for crested geckos.


    Ok you are right, I will do as you say. Once he is back in health, where should I go from there?

    I apologize for scampering off into other conversations and worlds, I have a tendency to get wrapped up and overloaded in information and think too fear ahead, once he recovers after doing as you told me, i will provide him with uvb, but that doesn’t matter right now, what matters right now is his recovering so bugs 3x a week, and dusted with zoomed calcium with d3, zoomed calcium without d3, and zoo med reptivite without d3, oh by the way, my vet said to use zoomed calcium with d3 every single bug feed even if it’s 3x a week when I discussed the feeding you told me , and that really confused me? Then I got overloaded with information and got so confused.
    Last edited by Frankiesmoma; 01-22-2022 at 08:45 PM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2021
    Posts
    33
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frankiesmoma View Post
    Ok you are right, I will do as you say. Once he is back in health, where should I go from there?

    I apologize for scampering off into other conversations and worlds, I have a tendency to get wrapped up and overloaded in information and think too fear ahead, once he recovers after doing as you told me, i will provide him with uvb, but that doesn’t matter right now, what matters right now is his recovering so bugs 3x a week, and dusted with zoomed calcium with d3, zoomed calcium without d3, and zoo med reptivite without d3, oh by the way, my vet said to use zoomed calcium with d3 every single bug feed even if it’s 3x a week when I discussed the feeding you told me , and that really confused me? Then I got overloaded with information and got so confused.
    Thanks Elizabeth Freer thanked for this post

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    USA: Oregon
    Posts
    22,546
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frankiesmoma View Post
    I apologize for scampering off into other conversations and worlds, I have a tendency to get wrapped up and overloaded in information and think too fear ahead, once he recovers after doing as you told me, i will provide him with uvb, but that doesn’t matter right now, what matters right now is his recovering so bugs 3x a week, and dusted with zoomed calcium with d3, zoomed calcium without d3, and zoo med reptivite without d3, oh by the way, my vet said to use zoomed calcium with d3 every single bug feed even if it’s 3x a week when I discussed the feeding you told me , and that really confused me? Then I got overloaded with information and got so confused.
    It's OK. I think we're back on track.

    The vitamin D3 Frankie gets on Monday sticks in his body all week long, because D3 is fat soluble. It's like getting Repti Calcium with D3 2x per week.
    Last edited by Elizabeth Freer; 01-27-2022 at 06:31 PM.
    Click: Leopard Gecko Care Sheet's Table of Contents

    Oedura castelnaui ~ Lepidodactylus lugubris ~ Gekko kuhli ~ Cyrtodactylus zebraicus ~ Phyllurus platurus ~ Eublepharis macularius ~ Correlophus ciliatus ~ (Phelsuma barbouri) ~ (Lygodactylus kimhowelli) ~ (P tigrinus) ~ (P klemmeri) ~ (H garnotii)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2021
    Posts
    33
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth Freer View Post
    This is VITAL.
    What are the precise dimensions of Frankie's enclosure -- the enclosure you plan to use for UVB?


    I've read all your messages on both your threads. You came to GU for advice. I'm sharing the best advice I have.

    My crested gecko is about 17 yo. I've had him for 15 years. For 7.5 years he only ate dusted bugs. Then I switched 100% to Pangea complete diets. Now he doesn't want bugs. He does not have UVB.

    Now is NOT the time to give Frankie a break from insects to force him to eat Pangea !!! It is vital is for Frankie to regain his health first!!! Now is the time to totally take a break from Pangea & Repashy! I don't know how else to say these things. Once again Frankie NEEDS to reliably eat!!! Because he's so iffy about Pangea, I recommended discontinuing Pangea until Frankie totally recovers his stick!!!

    I really don't know what folks do when they provide UVB for a crestie. All Pangea complete diets contain vitamin D3. All Pangea diets are complete. Non-expired Pangea complete diets rarely need extra supplementation for crested geckos.

    Okay so the dimensions of the enclosure are 24 x 18 x 24. The uvb will be Arcadia 7% shadedweller which is 12 inches long linear tube 8watts
    Likes Elizabeth Freer liked this post

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2021
    Posts
    33
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default


    LOG IN TO CLOSE THIS AD   


    Yes I actually Screenshotted and saved the schedule list in my phone
    Likes Elizabeth Freer liked this post

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

User Tag List

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •