Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 31 to 36 of 36
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    USA: Oregon
    Posts
    20,640
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

    Default


    LOG IN TO CLOSE THIS AD   


    By the way, do you have access to many sizes of the crickets you buy? Gryllus ________?

    A couple days ago I ordered 1,000 2/3rds grown Acheta dometicus instead of 1/2 grown ones. To that I added 3,000 1/3 grown ones. That order will definitely last my geckos more than one month.
    "If you can hear crickets, it's still summer." ;)

    "May the peace that
    You find at the beach
    Follow you home"

    Click: Leo Care Sheet's Table of Contents

    ===> No plain calcium, calcium with D3, or multivitamins inside an enclosure <===

    Oedura castelnaui ~ Lepidodactylus lugubris ~ Phelsuma barbouri ~ Ptychozoon kuhli ~ Cyrtodactylus peguensis zebraicus ~ Phyllurus platurus ~ Eublepharis macularius ~ Correlophus ciliatus ~ (L kimhowelli) ~ (P tigrinus) ~ (P klemmeri) ~ (H garnotii)

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    85
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Unfortunately not Elizabeth. As reptiles are not allowed here as I typed before,not many crickets sellers around. The result of this is that they get a bit expensive, like 13 dolars/hundred, so I choiced to breed my own and there have been like this for many years. I know only one company selling them legaly in Brazil, all others sellers are reptile keepers with extra crickets who probably acquired them from this company. Unfortunately I dont know the species of this Gryllus sp

    Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth Freer View Post
    By the way, do you have access to many sizes of the crickets you buy? Gryllus ________?

    A couple days ago I ordered 1,000 2/3rds grown Acheta dometicus instead of 1/2 grown ones. To that I added 3,000 1/3 grown ones. That order will definitely last my geckos more than one month.
    Thanks Elizabeth Freer thanked for this post

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    USA: Oregon
    Posts
    20,640
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gekkotan View Post
    Unfortunately not Elizabeth. As reptiles are not allowed here as I typed before,not many crickets sellers around. The result of this is that they get a bit expensive, like 13 dolars/hundred, so I choiced to breed my own and there have been like this for many years. I know only one company selling them legaly in Brazil, all others sellers are reptile keepers with extra crickets who probably acquired them from this company. Unfortunately I dont know the species of this Gryllus sp
    WOW! That is expensive. That's a good reason to breed your own. I get mine for $54 per 3,000 and $22 per 1,000 with minimal shipping charges right now. I can get many sizes. There are cheaper options in the USA.
    Last edited by Elizabeth Freer; 04-24-2016 at 04:16 PM. Reason: typo
    "If you can hear crickets, it's still summer." ;)

    "May the peace that
    You find at the beach
    Follow you home"

    Click: Leo Care Sheet's Table of Contents

    ===> No plain calcium, calcium with D3, or multivitamins inside an enclosure <===

    Oedura castelnaui ~ Lepidodactylus lugubris ~ Phelsuma barbouri ~ Ptychozoon kuhli ~ Cyrtodactylus peguensis zebraicus ~ Phyllurus platurus ~ Eublepharis macularius ~ Correlophus ciliatus ~ (L kimhowelli) ~ (P tigrinus) ~ (P klemmeri) ~ (H garnotii)

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    28
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gekkotan View Post
    For example, bioactive terrarium.
    As a european that sounds just too funny to me. Bioactive. That stuff is in practice for decades over here, itll be harder to find people without Collembola, Trichorhina tomentosa or Porcellionides pruinosus in their soil than with (at least for not-desert vivariums). Nobody would call that specifically bioactive tho. I think the dart frog guys in the US regularly do that as well. In larger vivariums there are prolly roaches, Centipedes, Rainworms, Zophobas,etc. that will regularly be a part of the soilfauna.

    anyways, just wanted to chime in that if you want to optimize the roach diet, keeping them humid enough and giving them little protein are some points to ponder, as those factors will up their uric acid content from what ive read/heard. a quick google search found that english text which explains a lil bit about it. Resources :: Reptile Articles :: Can Feeder Insect Diets Contribute To Gout In Reptiles? - Repashy Ventures - Specialty Pet Products
    Thanks Gekkotan, Elizabeth Freer thanked for this post
    Likes Gekkotan, Elizabeth Freer liked this post

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    85
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Indeed! Thanks for the article!
    Quote Originally Posted by rabzouz View Post
    As a european that sounds just too funny to me. Bioactive. That stuff is in practice for decades over here, itll be harder to find people without Collembola, Trichorhina tomentosa or Porcellionides pruinosus in their soil than with (at least for not-desert vivariums). Nobody would call that specifically bioactive tho. I think the dart frog guys in the US regularly do that as well. In larger vivariums there are prolly roaches, Centipedes, Rainworms, Zophobas,etc. that will regularly be a part of the soilfauna.

    anyways, just wanted to chime in that if you want to optimize the roach diet, keeping them humid enough and giving them little protein are some points to ponder, as those factors will up their uric acid content from what ive read/heard. a quick google search found that english text which explains a lil bit about it. Resources :: Reptile Articles :: Can Feeder Insect Diets Contribute To Gout In Reptiles? - Repashy Ventures - Specialty Pet Products
    Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth Freer View Post
    WOW! That is expensive. That's a good reason to bread your own. I get mine for $54 per 3,000 and $22 per 1,000 with minimal shipping charges right now. I can get many sizes. There are cheaper options in the USA.
    I didnt mention the shipping costs too, which is also prohibitive expensive. Here In fact everything is expensive. To get an idea of how much reptiles costs here, you should to multiply for five the prices of animals in US. The variety is very limited so, when any new species is avaliable, it will cost probably higher. Tokay gecko for example are not existent in brazilian hobby. I am trying to get some WC for over 100 dollars each.

    Well, have kept crickets for years and this is no problem. At least I know in which conditions they are kept before become food too...
    Thanks Elizabeth Freer thanked for this post

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    USA: Oregon
    Posts
    20,640
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

    Default


    LOG IN TO CLOSE THIS AD   


    Quote Originally Posted by rabzouz View Post
    ......

    anyways, just wanted to chime in that if you want to optimize the roach diet, keeping them humid enough and giving them little protein are some points to ponder, as those factors will up their uric acid content from what ive read/heard. a quick google search found that english text which explains a lil bit about it. Resources :: Reptile Articles :: Can Feeder Insect Diets Contribute To Gout In Reptiles? - Repashy Ventures - Specialty Pet Products
    Thanks for sharing this informative link!

    I've read this too, rabzouz: That excessive protein (from cat food, dog food, and/or fish flakes) increases the uric acid of roaches, crickets, and other feeders and leads to gout in our geckos!
    Last edited by Elizabeth Freer; 04-25-2016 at 01:28 AM.
    "If you can hear crickets, it's still summer." ;)

    "May the peace that
    You find at the beach
    Follow you home"

    Click: Leo Care Sheet's Table of Contents

    ===> No plain calcium, calcium with D3, or multivitamins inside an enclosure <===

    Oedura castelnaui ~ Lepidodactylus lugubris ~ Phelsuma barbouri ~ Ptychozoon kuhli ~ Cyrtodactylus peguensis zebraicus ~ Phyllurus platurus ~ Eublepharis macularius ~ Correlophus ciliatus ~ (L kimhowelli) ~ (P tigrinus) ~ (P klemmeri) ~ (H garnotii)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

User Tag List

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •