Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default New family member, and new to the forum!


    LOG IN TO CLOSE THIS AD   


    Hello,

    As is proper forum etiquette, I thought I'd introduce myself. I'm tj0, and I picked up a leopard gecko as a first family pet about a week ago . I've owned ball pythons and rosy boas before, but this is my entry into geckos (plan on getting a tokay down the line). The missus and daughter decided an appropriate name would be Bug because, well, it's still a baby and we don't know the gender yet.

    One of the big questions I have right now is what is an acceptable sized mealworm to feed Bug? I've read everywhere that no food bigger than the gap between the eyes, but that's pretty darn small not to mention a poor unit of measurement. So in terms of length of worm, what's an acceptable length of worm? Bug is eating really well, roughly 25 small mealworms per evening, so I'm wondering if the worms I've been feeding are too small.

    I estimate bug is approximately one to two months old. I'm basing this on Bug being roughly 3 1/2 - four inches long and relatively skittish. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

    P.S. Please forgive the simplistic vivarium, the missus is building a grand suite for Bug, so this is a temporary housing

    IMG_20190915_211318.jpg
    IMG_20190915_211306.jpg
    IMG_20190915_210723.jpg
    Likes Geopard Lecko liked this post

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Somerville, MA
    Posts
    7,000
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Welcome! When I was breeding I raised all my leopard gecko hatchlings on mealworms. Maybe the first week or so I'd pick out the smaller ones, but I quickly went to full sized and they all did fine (13 years worth!). The "gap between the eyes" thing is kind of tricky: length? width? total mass? I generally ignore it. If the feeder is too big, the gecko will spit it out! I've had 10 gram hatchlings eat fairly large super worms with no difficulty.

    Aliza
    Thanks Geopard Lecko thanked for this post
    Likes Geopard Lecko, Hilde liked this post

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Vancouver, WA
    Posts
    358
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tj0 View Post
    Hello,

    As is proper forum etiquette, I thought I'd introduce myself. I'm tj0, and I picked up a leopard gecko as a first family pet about a week ago . I've owned ball pythons and rosy boas before, but this is my entry into geckos (plan on getting a tokay down the line). The missus and daughter decided an appropriate name would be Bug because, well, it's still a baby and we don't know the gender yet.

    One of the big questions I have right now is what is an acceptable sized mealworm to feed Bug? I've read everywhere that no food bigger than the gap between the eyes, but that's pretty darn small not to mention a poor unit of measurement. So in terms of length of worm, what's an acceptable length of worm? Bug is eating really well, roughly 25 small mealworms per evening, so I'm wondering if the worms I've been feeding are too small.

    I estimate bug is approximately one to two months old. I'm basing this on Bug being roughly 3 1/2 - four inches long and relatively skittish. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

    P.S. Please forgive the simplistic vivarium, the missus is building a grand suite for Bug, so this is a temporary housing

    IMG_20190915_211318.jpg
    IMG_20190915_211306.jpg
    IMG_20190915_210723.jpg
    Very nice little gecko, looks like one i sold last month, are you in oregon or washington by chance?

    Appears to be a male!
    Geopard Leckos Leopard Geckos, say that 10 times fast!

    https://www.facebook.com/GameOfMorphs/
    Thanks tj0 thanked for this post
    Likes tj0, Elizabeth Freer liked this post

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Geopard Lecko View Post
    Very nice little gecko, looks like one i sold last month, are you in oregon or washington by chance?

    Appears to be a male!
    I am, I'm out of Vancouver, WA. We found Bug at PetSmart in a container with about ten other babies.

    Given the circumstances, Bug's settled in pretty good so far!
    Likes Elizabeth Freer, Geopard Lecko liked this post

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Vancouver, WA
    Posts
    358
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    haha i am in vancouver / yacolt, but thats def not one of mine if it was in a pet store unless the people surrendered it.
    Geopard Leckos Leopard Geckos, say that 10 times fast!

    https://www.facebook.com/GameOfMorphs/
    Likes tj0 liked this post

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    USA: Oregon
    Posts
    20,846
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tj0 View Post
    I am, I'm out of Vancouver, WA. We found Bug at PetSmart in a container with about ten other babies.

    Given the circumstances, Bug's settled in pretty good so far!
    Welcome, tjO! I should have known!

    I hope to see you at the Portland show this coming January.
    "If you can hear crickets, it's still summer." ;)

    "May the peace that
    You find at the beach
    Follow you home"

    Click: Leo Care Sheet's Table of Contents

    ===> No plain calcium, calcium with D3, or multivitamins inside an enclosure <===

    Oedura castelnaui ~ Lepidodactylus lugubris ~ Phelsuma barbouri ~ Ptychozoon kuhli ~ Cyrtodactylus peguensis zebraicus ~ Phyllurus platurus ~ Eublepharis macularius ~ Correlophus ciliatus ~ (L kimhowelli) ~ (P tigrinus) ~ (P klemmeri) ~ (H garnotii)
    Likes tj0 liked this post

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Vancouver, WA
    Posts
    358
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Ill be vending!
    Geopard Leckos Leopard Geckos, say that 10 times fast!

    https://www.facebook.com/GameOfMorphs/
    Likes tj0, Elizabeth Freer liked this post

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth Freer View Post
    Welcome, tjO! I should have known!

    I hope to see you at the Portland show this coming January.
    I was really wanting to pick one up at the reptile expo, but I missed it this year. Next year it is a definite! By then I hope to be schooled up on poison dart frog care and have a vivarium ready as well as another vivarium ready for another leo. Until my kiddos are bigger, I am waiting on the tokay -- I'd think baby fingers look an awful lot like a good meal
    Likes Elizabeth Freer liked this post

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Geopard Lecko View Post
    Ill be vending!
    Maybe we'll see each other there! Do you breed anything else or just strictly leopard geckos?

    Also, are you aware of anywhere local that has mealworms for sale other than PetCo and PetSmart? I cringe any time I have to buy stuff from big box stores if there's a local option available.
    Likes Geopard Lecko liked this post

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Vancouver, WA
    Posts
    358
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default


    LOG IN TO CLOSE THIS AD   


    Quote Originally Posted by tj0 View Post
    Maybe we'll see each other there! Do you breed anything else or just strictly leopard geckos?

    Also, are you aware of anywhere local that has mealworms for sale other than PetCo and PetSmart? I cringe any time I have to buy stuff from big box stores if there's a local option available.
    I will be breeding ball pythons next year.. I order mealworms fro. Rainbowmealworms and raise my own roaches.. If you want another leo sometime feel free to hit me up ive got 1 male left thats 40 grams and a few females now and more on the way
    Geopard Leckos Leopard Geckos, say that 10 times fast!

    https://www.facebook.com/GameOfMorphs/
    Likes tj0 liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

User Tag List

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •