Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    32
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Leo has stopped eating, behaviour has also changed


    LOG IN TO CLOSE THIS AD   


    Hi there

    My 9 month old female leo has stopped eating recently, been going on for about a week now. Shes in a 30gal tank with paper towel substright has access to a calcium dish and I feed her every other day. I also dust her food rotating between calcium with d3 and vitamins. Shes access to a warm hide, moist hide and cold hide and an extra. She has a heatmat that covers her moist and hot hide thats set to 32 degrees which I check every day. She also has a water dish which is swapped out every day.

    I have been feeding her primarily on crickets with occasional wax worms but shes refusing both at the moment.

    Shes pooping still (only little bits) and doesn't seem to have any stuck shed.

    I have noticed her behaviour has changed this week because normally shes very shy but apparently not any more. She now climbs onto my hand when I put it near her and shes wandering a lot more then usual. I have checked to see if she is ovulating but I can't see anything on her belly.

    Im going to take her to a vet I think because I cant seem to think of something that would make her really friendly and stop eating suddenly.

    Any ideas why she might have stopped?

    EDIT: She weighs 74 grams

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Somerville, MA
    Posts
    7,089
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    There are a number of reasons a gecko would stop eating which are not health issues:
    --some decrease intake in colder weather and/or times when the ambient light is around for shorter periods (in other words, even if the cage is no cooler in winter, the shorter days can lead to reduced eating

    --it's possible that ovulation is beginning even if you can't see it yet

    --she may have reached the age where she needs to eat less than she did when she was growing (74 grams is a pretty healthy weight)

    --some geckos just give up on eating for awhile for reasons unknown.

    As long as she is not visibly losing weight, it's likely she's fine. A vet trip is an ok idea as well if that will make you feel better about it.

    Aliza
    Thanks voxdraco thanked for this post
    Likes Marillion liked this post

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    32
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Update

    Leo has picked up parasites (nematodes) from my local pet shops food. I need a new supplier, I would like to try online (UK). Where do you all order bugs from?

    It was either the Petsathome or Jollys in Wakefield, one of the two that has contaminated bugs. I wont be getting food from there again.

    My poor girl has less energy and wont eat. Vets did a fecal test and confirmed it was nematodes of some sort, she only saw eggs in her stool. I have been prescribed some panacur and told to giver her a 3.5 unit dose today and then go back in two weeks to test again for more nematode eggs. I also have a bearded dragon and they both eat the same crickets so I have bought some panacur and will be giving him some too when it gets here.

    Shes not in any danger at the moment, shes well hydrated and... a bit fat (74g) so I am not too worried.

    Hopefully she starts eating again soon

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Somerville, MA
    Posts
    7,089
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Remember that sometimes the medication also causes them not to want to eat.

    Aliza

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    USA: Oregon
    Posts
    21,047
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by voxdraco View Post
    Update

    Leo has picked up parasites (nematodes) from my local pet shops food. I need a new supplier, I would like to try online (UK). Where do you all order bugs from?

    It was either the Petsathome or Jollys in Wakefield, one of the two that has contaminated bugs. I wont be getting food from there again.

    My poor girl has less energy and wont eat. Vets did a fecal test and confirmed it was nematodes of some sort, she only saw eggs in her stool. I have been prescribed some panacur and told to giver her a 3.5 unit dose today and then go back in two weeks to test again for more nematode eggs. I also have a bearded dragon and they both eat the same crickets so I have bought some panacur and will be giving him some too when it gets here.

    Shes not in any danger at the moment, shes well hydrated and... a bit fat (74g) so I am not too worried.

    Hopefully she starts eating again soon
    Hello ~

    Since you now wish to order insects online, maybe one of these sources can fill your leo's needs.
    UK members can order from:

    Perhaps your vet carries Oxbow's Carnivore Care or LaFeber's Emeraid.

    I hope she makes a quick recovery.
    "If you can hear crickets, it's still summer." ;)

    "May the peace that
    You find at the beach
    Follow you home"

    Click: Leo Care Sheet's Table of Contents

    ===> No plain calcium, calcium with D3, or multivitamins inside an enclosure <===

    Oedura castelnaui ~ Lepidodactylus lugubris ~ Phelsuma barbouri ~ Ptychozoon kuhli ~ Cyrtodactylus peguensis zebraicus ~ Phyllurus platurus ~ Eublepharis macularius ~ Correlophus ciliatus ~ (L kimhowelli) ~ (P tigrinus) ~ (P klemmeri) ~ (H garnotii)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    32
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    It's been 5 days since she was given panacur and she still isnt eating.... should I call the vet back?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    USA: Oregon
    Posts
    21,047
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by voxdraco View Post
    It's been 5 days since she was given panacur and she still isnt eating.... should I call the vet back?
    Have you tried any of the assist foods I mentioned in post 5? Those foods may stimulate your leo's appetite.
    "If you can hear crickets, it's still summer." ;)

    "May the peace that
    You find at the beach
    Follow you home"

    Click: Leo Care Sheet's Table of Contents

    ===> No plain calcium, calcium with D3, or multivitamins inside an enclosure <===

    Oedura castelnaui ~ Lepidodactylus lugubris ~ Phelsuma barbouri ~ Ptychozoon kuhli ~ Cyrtodactylus peguensis zebraicus ~ Phyllurus platurus ~ Eublepharis macularius ~ Correlophus ciliatus ~ (L kimhowelli) ~ (P tigrinus) ~ (P klemmeri) ~ (H garnotii)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    32
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    No I haven't. Ill try to pick some up today and get back to you.
    Likes Elizabeth Freer liked this post

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    32
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I picked up some Oxbow's Carnivore Care but now my leo has gone into shed... badly timed. I am going to wait and see if she eats all her skin and then give her some tomorrow. If she doesn't bother taking her shed off even though its hanging off her atm, its back to the vets in the morning.
    Thanks Elizabeth Freer thanked for this post

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    USA: Oregon
    Posts
    21,047
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

    Default


    LOG IN TO CLOSE THIS AD   


    Quote Originally Posted by voxdraco View Post
    I picked up some Oxbow's Carnivore Care but now my leo has gone into shed... badly timed. I am going to wait and see if she eats all her skin and then give her some tomorrow. If she doesn't bother taking her shed off even though its hanging off her atm, its back to the vets in the morning.
    Is she losing weight right now?
    "If you can hear crickets, it's still summer." ;)

    "May the peace that
    You find at the beach
    Follow you home"

    Click: Leo Care Sheet's Table of Contents

    ===> No plain calcium, calcium with D3, or multivitamins inside an enclosure <===

    Oedura castelnaui ~ Lepidodactylus lugubris ~ Phelsuma barbouri ~ Ptychozoon kuhli ~ Cyrtodactylus peguensis zebraicus ~ Phyllurus platurus ~ Eublepharis macularius ~ Correlophus ciliatus ~ (L kimhowelli) ~ (P tigrinus) ~ (P klemmeri) ~ (H garnotii)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

User Tag List

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •