Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    27
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Why are all of “BHB Reptiles” leopard geckos female?


    LOG IN TO CLOSE THIS AD   


    Im looking to order a gecko as it doesnt appear that i can go to the expo and BHB reptile has alright prices for what i want etc etc etc but can anyone tell me why alllll of the baby geckos are “temerature sexed females”? I want a male because I dont want to have to worry about egg binding etc but just confused how that happens.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    63
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Since one male can breed multiple females, there is more demand for females- at least among people that intend to breed them.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Somerville, MA
    Posts
    6,017
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    When I was breeding, I also incubated for female, partly for the reasons described above, and also because if I'm not sure of the sex and someone wants two, I wanted to reduce the likelihood that one would be male. On a side note, the season that I did incubate at slightly higher temperatures to get a mix, I had a miserable time of it looking at gecko bottoms through the loupe trying to figure out if, at the size I wanted to sell them, they were male or female.
    After 13 years and hundreds of geckos, I have only had a female with egg binding once and have also only had a female lay eggs without benefit of a male once.

    Aliza

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    27
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by acpart View Post
    When I was breeding, I also incubated for female, partly for the reasons described above, and also because if I'm not sure of the sex and someone wants two, I wanted to reduce the likelihood that one would be male. On a side note, the season that I did incubate at slightly higher temperatures to get a mix, I had a miserable time of it looking at gecko bottoms through the loupe trying to figure out if, at the size I wanted to sell them, they were male or female.
    After 13 years and hundreds of geckos, I have only had a female with egg binding once and have also only had a female lay eggs without benefit of a male once.

    Aliza

    So should I go ahead and get the female? Im just really scared about egg binding.?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Somerville, MA
    Posts
    6,017
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I don't think this will make you feel any better, but males can end up with prolapsed hemipenes, which isn't fun either. I don't feel the chance of egg binding in females is any different from the chance of prolapse in males, and if you're not breeding them it's really negligible. I would go for the female. That way, if you decide you want another, you can keep them together (provided they are of similar size, have been through quarantine and get along OK).

    Aliza

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    27
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by acpart View Post
    I don't think this will make you feel any better, but males can end up with prolapsed hemipenes, which isn't fun either. I don't feel the chance of egg binding in females is any different from the chance of prolapse in males, and if you're not breeding them it's really negligible. I would go for the female. That way, if you decide you want another, you can keep them together (provided they are of similar size, have been through quarantine and get along OK).

    Aliza
    Thanks a lot thats actually helpful just scared but i think im for sure getting a famale at this point. Thanks for the help!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Somerville, MA
    Posts
    6,017
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Let us know what you end up with (pictures always appreciated).

    Aliza

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    27
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by acpart View Post
    Let us know what you end up with (pictures always appreciated).

    Aliza
    I got a mack snow tremper albino. Later ill put pictures of my setup and her in person up for everyone to see but for now heres this.
    https://www.bhbreptiles.com/products...t=903878148123

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Somerville, MA
    Posts
    6,017
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Enjoy her! I would also call her "aberrant" since her body bands are broken (as in not solid from side to side, not as in messed up) while her tail bands are not.

    Aliza

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    3
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default


    LOG IN TO CLOSE THIS AD   


    We got our first gecko from BHB and she is the best gecko ever! Good luck with your new baby.

User Tag List

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •