Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Durham, UK
    Posts
    83
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Hatchling struggling to shed?


    LOG IN TO CLOSE THIS AD   


    Im not sure what to do with my hatchling which seems to be struggling to remove its shed.

    With my other leos i will give them a regular bath and remove any stuck shed on the toes after yhey have shed their skin.

    But with the hatchling im sure if i should just leave it to learn to remove it itself or give it some help.

    Any advice??
    Want to know how to make your own cheap and reliable incubator?Click here

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    East-central Wisconsin
    Posts
    320
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    This was posted yesterday; has your hatchling gotten the shed off by now, or does it still need help? If still there, I would think that a sauna might help it.
    Eileen and Repti-Friends
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Crested Gecko 1.0.0
    Hidey - Gargoyle Gecko 0.1.0
    O.G. (Office Gecko) - Bauer's Chameleon Gecko 1.0.0
    TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - Western Bearded Anole 1.0.0

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    USA: Oregon
    Posts
    20,419
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Newbreeder View Post
    Im not sure what to do with my hatchling which seems to be struggling to remove its shed.

    With my other leos i will give them a regular bath and remove any stuck shed on the toes after yhey have shed their skin.

    But with the hatchling im sure if i should just leave it to learn to remove it itself or give it some help.

    Any advice??
    Infrequent shedding problems are expected. If your leos consistently have difficulty shedding look to diet and supplements. Share these things.
    1. Do your leos have warm moist hides?
    2. How warm are those humid hides?
    3. what you're feeding your leo
    4. what you're feeding the feeders
    5. which supplements you're using at what frequency

    For 4 click: Humidity Box Assists for Stuck Shed

    Are you interested in beginning a comprehensive thread right here where you might share your concerns?

    Then we will have husbandry resources on your care. Then we can refer to stuff you've already shared.
    Last edited by Elizabeth Freer; 04-27-2019 at 11:03 PM.
    "If you can hear crickets, it's still summer." ;)

    "May the peace that
    You find at the beach
    Follow you home"

    Click: Leo Care Sheet's Table of Contents

    ===> No plain calcium, calcium with D3, or multivitamins inside an enclosure <===

    Oedura castelnaui ~ Lepidodactylus lugubris ~ Phelsuma barbouri ~ Ptychozoon kuhli ~ Cyrtodactylus peguensis zebraicus ~ Phyllurus platurus ~ Eublepharis macularius ~ Correlophus ciliatus ~ (L kimhowelli) ~ (P tigrinus) ~ (P klemmeri) ~ (H garnotii)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Durham, UK
    Posts
    83
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth Freer View Post
    Infrequent shedding problems are expected. If your leos consistently have difficulty shedding look to diet and supplements. Share these things.
    1. Do your leos have warm moist hides?
    2. How warm are those humid hides?
    3. what you're feeding your leo
    4. what you're feeding the feeders
    5. which supplements you're using at what frequency

    For 4 click: Humidity Box Assists for Stuck Shed

    Are you interested in beginning a comprehensive thread right here where you might share your concerns?

    Then we will have husbandry resources on your care. Then we can refer to stuff you've already shared.
    Hey

    1. It doesnt have a moist hide as it is in a little tub which itself is kept quite moist as it has a big water dish and i spray it occasionally.
    2. The temperature of the warm aide is at around 90 degrees.
    3. This is part of the problem. The little shit wont eat mealworms(any ideas why that might be?) So im having to feed it small locusts which it eats no problem.
    4. I have not used any feeder feeder yet but i do have some but i cant think of the name right now.
    5. I am dusting with vitimins and calcium once a week and just calcuim twice a week like i would with all my other geckos.
    Want to know how to make your own cheap and reliable incubator?Click here

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    USA: Oregon
    Posts
    20,419
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

    Default

    I am dusting with vitimins and calcium once a week and just calcuim twice a week like i would with all my other geckos.
    Each gecko is different. Some only like certain foods.

    It's important to feed both mealworms and locusts a good dry diet + a high calcium/low phosphorus leafy greens like collard, mustard, turnip, or pesticide-free dandelion greens/flowers, before you feed them to your leo. The entire dandelion is edible.

    All supplements are different. Please list the exact name of each supplement including the brand.
    • Name of vitamins?
    • Name of plain calcium?
    • Name of calcium with D3?
    Last edited by Elizabeth Freer; 04-30-2019 at 01:07 PM.
    "If you can hear crickets, it's still summer." ;)

    "May the peace that
    You find at the beach
    Follow you home"

    Click: Leo Care Sheet's Table of Contents

    ===> No plain calcium, calcium with D3, or multivitamins inside an enclosure <===

    Oedura castelnaui ~ Lepidodactylus lugubris ~ Phelsuma barbouri ~ Ptychozoon kuhli ~ Cyrtodactylus peguensis zebraicus ~ Phyllurus platurus ~ Eublepharis macularius ~ Correlophus ciliatus ~ (L kimhowelli) ~ (P tigrinus) ~ (P klemmeri) ~ (H garnotii)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Durham, UK
    Posts
    83
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default


    LOG IN TO CLOSE THIS AD   


    Quote Originally Posted by GeckoLeen View Post
    This was posted yesterday; has your hatchling gotten the shed off by now, or does it still need help? If still there, I would think that a sauna might help it.
    Sorry i have not been on for a few days. I decided to give it a hand. I did what i do with all my others. Gave it a sauna fot about 5 minutes and then used a cotton bud to take the skin from the toes. And i had to remove some from its head.

    It clearly made an effort as it succesfully removed it from its tail and body.
    Want to know how to make your own cheap and reliable incubator?Click here
    Likes Geopard Lecko, Elizabeth Freer liked this post

User Tag List

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •