Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    4
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Injured leopard gecko!!


    LOG IN TO CLOSE THIS AD   


    Hello, one night my cat found out my leopard gecko existed and got into her enclosure. Her tail dropped and thought that was it. I kept her enclosure clean and checked on her everyday. She refuses to eat as well. I went to help her shed because she's having a hard time. I then noticed she has a bruising and a injury on her leg. I'm extremely devastated. What should I do? Is their a certain ointment or precautions I should use?
    (Cat no longer enters room without supervision and enclosure has extra locks)
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    USA: Oregon
    Posts
    21,559
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

    Default

    Welcome to Geckos Unlimited.

    Usually bruises fade with time. Is that happening?

    You're doing all the right things regarding your leo's tail regrowth process. IF the regrowth is progressing, just watch. IF it gets infected, vets can prescribe SSD (silver sulfadiazine cream).

    Silver sulfadiazine cream is only contraindicated if the female is gravid.

    Please help her stuck shed with the following methods.

    "If you can hear crickets, it's still summer." ;)

    "May the peace that
    You find at the beach
    Follow you home"

    Click: Leo Care Sheet's Table of Contents

    ===> No plain calcium, calcium with D3, or multivitamins inside an enclosure <===

    Oedura castelnaui ~ Lepidodactylus lugubris ~ Phelsuma barbouri ~ Ptychozoon kuhli ~ Cyrtodactylus peguensis zebraicus ~ Phyllurus platurus ~ Eublepharis macularius ~ Correlophus ciliatus ~ (L kimhowelli) ~ (P tigrinus) ~ (P klemmeri) ~ (H garnotii)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    4
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Turns out the green bruising was actually poop stuck in shed! I'm currently helping her removing built up shed and found out. She also had shed covering her eyes and we got it out, bet she felt relieved. I'm using a clear container and can clearly see her cut. Looks uncomfortable.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    USA: Oregon
    Posts
    21,559
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bbyfsh View Post
    Turns out the green bruising was actually poop stuck in shed! I'm currently helping her removing built up shed and found out. She also had shed covering her eyes and we got it out, bet she felt relieved. I'm using a clear container and can clearly see her cut. Looks uncomfortable.
    Be as gentle as you can when removing stuck shed, especially near the eyes. Always loosen it up with time in a hydration box first.

    Where is the cut you mention?
    "If you can hear crickets, it's still summer." ;)

    "May the peace that
    You find at the beach
    Follow you home"

    Click: Leo Care Sheet's Table of Contents

    ===> No plain calcium, calcium with D3, or multivitamins inside an enclosure <===

    Oedura castelnaui ~ Lepidodactylus lugubris ~ Phelsuma barbouri ~ Ptychozoon kuhli ~ Cyrtodactylus peguensis zebraicus ~ Phyllurus platurus ~ Eublepharis macularius ~ Correlophus ciliatus ~ (L kimhowelli) ~ (P tigrinus) ~ (P klemmeri) ~ (H garnotii)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    4
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Yes, I put her in a tub with warm water and papel towels. It took around 50 minutes to do the best I can, I will continue tomorrow night. The cut is in the under side of her leg. The bad thing is, is that there is stuck shed in that leg, and I want to leave it alone because she kind of charges back at me if I touch it but I know the shed will build up and make it harder for me. I I'll attach a photo that kind of shows you where the cut is, but the cut is long.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    USA: Oregon
    Posts
    21,559
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bbyfsh View Post
    Yes, I put her in a tub with warm water and papel towels. It took around 50 minutes to do the best I can, I will continue tomorrow night. The cut is in the under side of her leg. The bad thing is, is that there is stuck shed in that leg, and I want to leave it alone because she kind of charges back at me if I touch it but I know the shed will build up and make it harder for me. I I'll attach a photo that kind of shows you where the cut is, but the cut is long.
    I really can't see the cut. How long is it?

    Is the cut deep? Does it need stitches? I wonder how it happened.

    Does your leo have a moist hide that sits over the heat mat? It's necessary to keep that humid hide moist as close to 24/7 as you can, especially when shedding time is near.
    "If you can hear crickets, it's still summer." ;)

    "May the peace that
    You find at the beach
    Follow you home"

    Click: Leo Care Sheet's Table of Contents

    ===> No plain calcium, calcium with D3, or multivitamins inside an enclosure <===

    Oedura castelnaui ~ Lepidodactylus lugubris ~ Phelsuma barbouri ~ Ptychozoon kuhli ~ Cyrtodactylus peguensis zebraicus ~ Phyllurus platurus ~ Eublepharis macularius ~ Correlophus ciliatus ~ (L kimhowelli) ~ (P tigrinus) ~ (P klemmeri) ~ (H garnotii)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    4
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I guess I didnt explain it that good haha. So what happened was that one night my cat got into simone's enclosure, and only found out in the morning when I found simone on the floor. Originally I just thought the damage the cat did was just make simone's tail fall that's it, but later found out that my cat cut Simone's right leg. I cant really see how deep it is, since I cant touch her because she will bite me. But I do know that her cut slices through her 'thigh' area of her leg. She still uses her leg somewhat but not as well as the others. Shed is also around that leg but I can't get it off because she squeaks and I dont want to hurt her any further. I'm not sure what to do in order for it to heal, no nearby vets treat Leo's. I called all the ones that where in my city. And half of them are closed because of covid.
    Thanks Elizabeth Freer thanked for this post

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    USA: Oregon
    Posts
    21,559
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

    Default


    LOG IN TO CLOSE THIS AD   


    Quote Originally Posted by Bbyfsh View Post
    I guess I didnt explain it that good haha. So what happened was that one night my cat got into simone's enclosure, and only found out in the morning when I found simone on the floor. Originally I just thought the damage the cat did was just make simone's tail fall that's it, but later found out that my cat cut Simone's right leg. I cant really see how deep it is, since I cant touch her because she will bite me. But I do know that her cut slices through her 'thigh' area of her leg. She still uses her leg somewhat but not as well as the others. Shed is also around that leg but I can't get it off because she squeaks and I dont want to hurt her any further. I'm not sure what to do in order for it to heal, no nearby vets treat Leo's. I called all the ones that where in my city. And half of them are closed because of covid.
    If Simone did not receive significant injuries from your cat, she would have hid when she ended up on the floor.

    I recommend you make an Urgent App with the nearest vet who's experienced treating leos.

    IF Simone's cut or tail gets infected you would need a prescription for SSD cream. From your description of the injuries and Simone's behavior, she's in need of a vet evaluation.

    Please keep GU posted.
    Last edited by Elizabeth Freer; 05-10-2020 at 05:15 PM.
    "If you can hear crickets, it's still summer." ;)

    "May the peace that
    You find at the beach
    Follow you home"

    Click: Leo Care Sheet's Table of Contents

    ===> No plain calcium, calcium with D3, or multivitamins inside an enclosure <===

    Oedura castelnaui ~ Lepidodactylus lugubris ~ Phelsuma barbouri ~ Ptychozoon kuhli ~ Cyrtodactylus peguensis zebraicus ~ Phyllurus platurus ~ Eublepharis macularius ~ Correlophus ciliatus ~ (L kimhowelli) ~ (P tigrinus) ~ (P klemmeri) ~ (H garnotii)

User Tag List

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •