Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    79
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Leopard Gecko Lost Toenail After Shed, I'm Worried She May Lose a Toe as Well. Help!


    LOG IN TO CLOSE THIS AD   


    My 4 year old female leopard gecko, Olive, shed about a month ago and I noticed she pulled out a toe nail, I think, there was no blood and it looked okay. She may have just broken it off. Nevertheless, I changed her substrate to paper towels for the time being and then back to reptile carpet. (Its now back to paper towels.) However, she shed again this week and I noticed her toe looked crusty. I cannot tell if this is retained shed or if its just hard scales/skin from not walking with a nail there. I always help my geckos remove their stuck toe shed. I've been giving her some warm toe soaks and gently rubbing at it with a q-tip and nothing comes off. I just want to make sure it is not stuck shed. I would not be able to forgive myself if she loses a toe over this, so I want to prevent that if it is the case. I attached some images, do you think it looks like stuck shed or just hardened skin? Thanks! I hope everyone is well!

    IMG_6420.jpg
    IMG_6421.jpg

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Somerville, MA
    Posts
    7,316
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I think she has a bit of shed stuck on the tips of the toes. Either soak her in 1/2" of warm water in the sink or spray some water on her feet and then dig in and pull it off. I find that q-tips aren't going to do it; it needs some serious fingernail work.

    Aliza

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    79
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by acpart View Post
    I think she has a bit of shed stuck on the tips of the toes. Either soak her in 1/2" of warm water in the sink or spray some water on her feet and then dig in and pull it off. I find that q-tips aren't going to do it; it needs some serious fingernail work.

    Aliza
    So far, I have soaked her 3 days in a row since she last shed. I've tried a q-tip and more recently I tried my fingernail to peel it off. It made her toe sore and red, she's a super friendly gecko and she even nipped me. So I'm wondering if I should take her to the vet yet?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    USA: Oregon
    Posts
    21,567
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rose23 View Post
    So far, I have soaked her 3 days in a row since she last shed. I've tried a q-tip and more recently I tried my fingernail to peel it off. It made her toe sore and red, she's a super friendly gecko and she even nipped me. So I'm wondering if I should take her to the vet yet?
    Something else I've tried recently is a soft-bristled toothbrush to remove stuck toenail skin, after time in a humidity chamber first. Please scroll to Method #5.

    Last edited by Elizabeth Freer; 05-16-2020 at 10:48 PM.
    "If you can hear crickets, it's still summer." ;)

    "May the peace that
    You find at the beach
    Follow you home"

    Click: Leo Care Sheet's Table of Contents

    ===> No plain calcium, calcium with D3, or multivitamins inside an enclosure <===

    Oedura castelnaui ~ Lepidodactylus lugubris ~ Phelsuma barbouri ~ Ptychozoon kuhli ~ Cyrtodactylus peguensis zebraicus ~ Phyllurus platurus ~ Eublepharis macularius ~ Correlophus ciliatus ~ (L kimhowelli) ~ (P tigrinus) ~ (P klemmeri) ~ (H garnotii)
    Thanks Rose23 thanked for this post
    Likes Rose23 liked this post

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    79
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth Freer View Post
    Something else I've tried recently is a soft-bristled toothbrush to remove stuck toenail skin, after time in a humidity chamber first. Please scroll to Method #5.

    I gave that method a go yesterday. I had her in a warm soak with paper towels over the container to keep her and the humidity in. I let her soak for about 10-15 minutes and then I used the soft bristled toothbrush on her toe. Here is a picture of the same toe after the soak and scrubbing. I don't think it looks much different. I can't even really see on the toe where the stuck shed is stuck, it all looks very streamline with her skin all over. Im not sure what I should do, I don't want to hurt her by picking at it more.

    IMG_6464.jpg

    Thanks!
    Last edited by Rose23; 05-22-2020 at 03:38 PM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    USA: Oregon
    Posts
    21,567
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rose23 View Post
    I gave that method a go yesterday. I had her in a warm soak with paper towels over the container to keep her and the humidity in. I let her soak for about 10-15 minutes and then I used the soft bristled toothbrush on her toe. Here is a picture of the same toe after the soak and scrubbing. I don't think it looks much different. I can't even really see on the toe where the stuck shed is stuck, it all looks very streamline with her skin all over. Im not sure what I should do, I don't want to hurt her by picking at it more.

    IMG_6464.jpg

    Thanks!
    Does the skin on this circled "thumb"/digit involve the skin or just the nail? Does that seem to be on the entire toe?

    Have you tried loosening it with mineral oil or maybe even olive or vegetable oil? That's certainly worth a shot.
    "If you can hear crickets, it's still summer." ;)

    "May the peace that
    You find at the beach
    Follow you home"

    Click: Leo Care Sheet's Table of Contents

    ===> No plain calcium, calcium with D3, or multivitamins inside an enclosure <===

    Oedura castelnaui ~ Lepidodactylus lugubris ~ Phelsuma barbouri ~ Ptychozoon kuhli ~ Cyrtodactylus peguensis zebraicus ~ Phyllurus platurus ~ Eublepharis macularius ~ Correlophus ciliatus ~ (L kimhowelli) ~ (P tigrinus) ~ (P klemmeri) ~ (H garnotii)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    79
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth Freer View Post
    Does the skin on this circled "thumb"/digit involve the skin or just the nail? Does that seem to be on the entire toe?

    Have you tried loosening it with mineral oil or maybe even olive or vegetable oil? That's certainly worth a shot.
    She doesn't appear to have any external nail exposed. So it's on the tip of her toe, where her nail should be and a bit on the underside where her toe naturally curls down. It almost just looks like the larger scales that wrap around the nail area. Ive always been able to pull off stuck shed that she misses the day after they shed themself. This bit on her toe/nail area feels really hard and doesn't want to budge.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    USA: Oregon
    Posts
    21,567
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rose23 View Post
    She doesn't appear to have any external nail exposed. So it's on the tip of her toe, where her nail should be and a bit on the underside where her toe naturally curls down. It almost just looks like the larger scales that wrap around the nail area. Ive always been able to pull off stuck shed that she misses the day after they shed themself. This bit on her toe/nail area feels really hard and doesn't want to budge.
    Maybe a vet could help.

    I don't know what else to suggest.
    "If you can hear crickets, it's still summer." ;)

    "May the peace that
    You find at the beach
    Follow you home"

    Click: Leo Care Sheet's Table of Contents

    ===> No plain calcium, calcium with D3, or multivitamins inside an enclosure <===

    Oedura castelnaui ~ Lepidodactylus lugubris ~ Phelsuma barbouri ~ Ptychozoon kuhli ~ Cyrtodactylus peguensis zebraicus ~ Phyllurus platurus ~ Eublepharis macularius ~ Correlophus ciliatus ~ (L kimhowelli) ~ (P tigrinus) ~ (P klemmeri) ~ (H garnotii)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    79
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth Freer View Post
    Maybe a vet could help.

    I don't know what else to suggest.
    No worries, thank you for the help! I've been thinking about scheduling an appointment at the vet so that they can take a look at it to see if its stubborn shed or just her skin hardening from where her nail broke/fell out.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    USA: Oregon
    Posts
    21,567
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

    Default


    LOG IN TO CLOSE THIS AD   


    Quote Originally Posted by Rose23 View Post
    No worries, thank you for the help! I've been thinking about scheduling an appointment at the vet so that they can take a look at it to see if its stubborn shed or just her skin hardening from where her nail broke/fell out.
    You're welcome, of course.

    Please keep this thread updated.
    "If you can hear crickets, it's still summer." ;)

    "May the peace that
    You find at the beach
    Follow you home"

    Click: Leo Care Sheet's Table of Contents

    ===> No plain calcium, calcium with D3, or multivitamins inside an enclosure <===

    Oedura castelnaui ~ Lepidodactylus lugubris ~ Phelsuma barbouri ~ Ptychozoon kuhli ~ Cyrtodactylus peguensis zebraicus ~ Phyllurus platurus ~ Eublepharis macularius ~ Correlophus ciliatus ~ (L kimhowelli) ~ (P tigrinus) ~ (P klemmeri) ~ (H garnotii)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

User Tag List

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •