Results 1 to 10 of 13
Thread: Thermostat questions.
07-19-2013, 12:53 PM #1
LOG IN TO CLOSE THIS AD
Last edited by matt0101; 02-23-2017 at 10:25 PM.
07-19-2013, 01:10 PM #2
Glad you got your thermostat!
1) There's no small slots around the back and sides? Pity, makes it so much easier. I would use it the way you currently are, just leaving a small gap. Just make sure there is no way he could climb up and out. Don't put tall decor toward that side that he could possibly climb. Or, just cut a hole in the mesh top.
2) The probe should rest on top of the paper towels.
3) Mine does the same, and I found that taping the wire right before the actual probe seems to do the trick. If not I assume you could use tape to tape it down but I would use some non toxic electrical tape of some sort that is okay for heating usage. (Since it is sitting on a warm spot.)
4) It has been noted that some thermostats, Hydofarm included, vary by a few degrees. I would just set the thermostat to an even 90/91 degrees that way if it goes over, 93/94 won't be too hot, and if it lowers, 87/88 won't be too cold. It is advised to use both the thermostat and thermometer, just in case one magically goes out or malfunctions.
Last edited by Muffins94; 07-19-2013 at 01:12 PM.
07-19-2013, 01:11 PM #3
1. Most people will cut a small hole in the meshtop for the wire to go through.
2. Probe goes inside the warm hide, on top of the substrate.
3. You can usually keep the probe down with the weight of the warm hide itself. But you could also tape it down, either way works fine.
4. If you can't tell which is more accurate, get a 3rd temperature reading device, but it's not really necessary. The thermostat itself will have temperature fluctuation of 3-4 degrees. It's normal with non-proportional thermostats. If you set your thermostat to 92 degrees, you'll likely get a good happy medium.
07-19-2013, 01:12 PM #4
07-19-2013, 01:14 PM #5
from my own exp:
1)Kinda have a hide laying on the end of the wire helps for me. I have a little coconut looking thing that kinda sits on it and works fine.
2)On top of the substrat, because thats what they feel. They dont feel the glass.
3) It'll be okay to tape, but refer to 1 and mine is normally pretty straight.
4)I'd go with the thermo, they're just cheap digital thermometer, nothing will be 100% within each other all the time.
you both beat me I hadn't refreshed then I post and boom
07-19-2013, 01:17 PM #6
07-19-2013, 01:23 PM #7
No problem Matt that's why I asked, some have tiny tiny holes that are easy to miss! Glad you figured it out!
Mardy, of course I beat you hehe just kidding. I have geckos unlimited bookmarked on my phone, so whenever I come on I skip the sign on page and it takes me right to the forum. Also, I haven't been on much lately, we discovered kittens in our backyard so I have been playing foster mama for a few days now.
07-19-2013, 01:24 PM #8
just checked my split-top screen,
I HAVE NO HOLES
07-19-2013, 01:25 PM #9
07-19-2013, 01:27 PM #10
LOG IN TO CLOSE THIS AD
What no holes! Wait, true my 40 gallon doesn't have holes either...