Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 30
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    20
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default


    LOG IN TO CLOSE THIS AD   


    Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth Freer View Post
    Her enclosure looks good!

    Settling in depends upon your leo. All leos are different. Try covering both sides and the back (unless the enclosure is against a wall) with something like brown paper. That will make her feel more secure.

    Healthy urates are pure white. Is she drinking frequently?

    How are you heating your leo's enclosure?
    I've covered up the sides, hope it helps. She's been exploring a lot.

    She didn't drink the whole week until I offered her some water yesterday in a syringe. She drank quite a bit then. Will keep note of her next poop.

    I'm using a UTH, it's lightly covered by the substrate and thermostat controlled
    Thanks Elizabeth Freer thanked for this post

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    USA: Oregon
    Posts
    19,602
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by plantwitch View Post
    I've covered up the sides, hope it helps. She's been exploring a lot.

    She didn't drink the whole week until I offered her some water yesterday in a syringe. She drank quite a bit then. Will keep note of her next poop.

    I'm using a UTH, it's lightly covered by the substrate and thermostat controlled
    All under tank heat mats I'm familiar with need ventilation to be fire-safe. These UTHs are designed to be stuck to the glass underneath, not placed inside the enclosure. I think you'll be safer and better off with overhead heating.

    There's a way to use UTHs inside, but it doesn't work all that well with naturalistic substrate.

    Have you heard about ceramic heat emitters (CHEs)? What are your ambient room temperatures winter and summer?
    Last edited by Elizabeth Freer; 12-01-2018 at 04:57 PM.
    "If you can hear crickets, it's still summer." ;)

    "May the peace that
    You find at the beach
    Follow you home"

    Click: Leo Care Sheet's Table of Contents

    ===> No plain calcium, calcium with D3, or multivitamins inside a vivarium <===

    Oedura castelnaui ~ Lepidodactylus lugubris ~ Phelsuma barbouri ~ Ptychozoon kuhli ~ Cyrtodactylus peguensis zebraicus ~ Phyllurus platurus ~ Eublepharis macularius ~ Correlophus ciliatus ~ (L kimhowelli) ~ (P tigrinus) ~ (P klemmeri) ~ (H garnotii)

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    20
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth Freer View Post
    All under tank heat mats I'm familiar with need ventilation to be fire-safe. These UTHs are designed to be stuck to the glass underneath, not placed inside the enclosure. I think you'll be safer and better off with overhead heating.

    There's a way to use UTHs inside, but it doesn't work all that well with naturalistic substrate.

    Have you heard about ceramic heat emitters (CHEs)? What are your ambient room temperatures winter and summer?
    Hmmm. I've been keeping checking the ground temp every few hours and it seems alright so far. I didn't stick it or anything, just placed it there and covered it up. It's covered in plastic like it's laminated so I figured it'd be fine. I didn't bury it deep though, so I can just take it out anytime.

    I live in a tropical country and there's no winter. Our 'summer' gets as hot as 35C.
    The current ambient temp in my room now is 27C, which I suppose is a lot cooler.

    She's been sleeping in her cool hide though, I'm not sure if geckos undergo brumation where i am.
    Thanks Elizabeth Freer thanked for this post

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Virginia - for now.
    Posts
    35
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I will mention - when I looked into this with my ball python, that "covering" over the adhesive side - depending on what kind of paper it is, is not safe to be left on while the unit is heating. Also these are not water-proof at all, so if your leo spills her water it can malfunction, possibly cause electric shock or a fire.

    I would remove it and use it the way it was manufactured to be used. Safety first after all

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    USA: Oregon
    Posts
    19,602
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by plantwitch View Post
    Hmmm. I've been keeping checking the ground temp every few hours and it seems alright so far. I didn't stick it or anything, just placed it there and covered it up. It's covered in plastic like it's laminated so I figured it'd be fine. I didn't bury it deep though, so I can just take it out anytime.

    I live in a tropical country and there's no winter. Our 'summer' gets as hot as 35C.
    The current ambient temp in my room now is 27C, which I suppose is a lot cooler.

    She's been sleeping in her cool hide though, I'm not sure if geckos undergo brumation where i am.
    Please note SpottedDragon's post 14.

    It's the lack of ventilation I'm concerned about.

    Here are temperature guidelines for leopard geckos.

    Temperatures - A temperature gradient from warm to cool maintains your leo's health. Here's a temperature guide for all leopard geckos as measured with the probe of a digital thermometer or a temp gun (and controlled by a thermostat set at 91*F/32.8*C):
    • 88-92 F (31.1-33.3 C) ground temperature right underneath a leo's warm dry hide
    • no greater than 82ish F (27.8ish C) air temperature - 4 inches above ground on the warm end
    • no greater than 75 F (23.9 C) air temperature - 4 inches above ground on the cool end

    Leave the heat mat/UTH on 24/7.
    "If you can hear crickets, it's still summer." ;)

    "May the peace that
    You find at the beach
    Follow you home"

    Click: Leo Care Sheet's Table of Contents

    ===> No plain calcium, calcium with D3, or multivitamins inside a vivarium <===

    Oedura castelnaui ~ Lepidodactylus lugubris ~ Phelsuma barbouri ~ Ptychozoon kuhli ~ Cyrtodactylus peguensis zebraicus ~ Phyllurus platurus ~ Eublepharis macularius ~ Correlophus ciliatus ~ (L kimhowelli) ~ (P tigrinus) ~ (P klemmeri) ~ (H garnotii)

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    20
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth Freer View Post
    Please note SpottedDragon's post 14.

    It's the lack of ventilation I'm concerned about.

    Here are temperature guidelines for leopard geckos.
    Will place the UTH under the tank instead, my substrate level on the warm side is barely a 1cm deep anyway.
    How long do geckos take to settle in? Now that she seems to be done exploring her tank, she's been sleeping all day long in her cool hide- even last night when I had the air conditioner on and ambient temp on cool side was about 22C.

    I'm not sure if I've picked up a gecko who loves her naps or if she's undergoing brumation (do they sleep in their warm or cool hides during brumation?). I've checked her tummy for any impaction issues and her tummy is clear, no blue patches. She hates being picked up so I've left her to sleep in her cave.

    I'm not sure if I should be worried or not lol
    Thanks Elizabeth Freer thanked for this post

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    USA: Oregon
    Posts
    19,602
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by plantwitch View Post
    Will place the UTH under the tank instead, my substrate level on the warm side is barely a 1cm deep anyway.
    How long do geckos take to settle in? Now that she seems to be done exploring her tank, she's been sleeping all day long in her cool hide- even last night when I had the air conditioner on and ambient temp on cool side was about 22C.

    I'm not sure if I've picked up a gecko who loves her naps or if she's undergoing brumation (do they sleep in their warm or cool hides during brumation?). I've checked her tummy for any impaction issues and her tummy is clear, no blue patches. She hates being picked up so I've left her to sleep in her cave.

    I'm not sure if I should be worried or not lol
    Good!

    Settling in time depends upon your leo. It's common for leos to sleep all day. They're crepuscular.

    Have you a digital thermometer with a probe or an analog thermometer?
    "If you can hear crickets, it's still summer." ;)

    "May the peace that
    You find at the beach
    Follow you home"

    Click: Leo Care Sheet's Table of Contents

    ===> No plain calcium, calcium with D3, or multivitamins inside a vivarium <===

    Oedura castelnaui ~ Lepidodactylus lugubris ~ Phelsuma barbouri ~ Ptychozoon kuhli ~ Cyrtodactylus peguensis zebraicus ~ Phyllurus platurus ~ Eublepharis macularius ~ Correlophus ciliatus ~ (L kimhowelli) ~ (P tigrinus) ~ (P klemmeri) ~ (H garnotii)

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    20
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth Freer View Post
    Good!

    Settling in time depends upon your leo. It's common for leos to sleep all day. They're crepuscular.

    Have you a digital thermometer with a probe or an analog thermometer?
    I have the gun laser type. She's refusing to sleep in the warm hide though. Is that normal?? warm hide surface 33C, cool hide 25C

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    20
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Here are photos of her belly taken today:

    photo_2018-12-06_20-25-42.jpg
    photo_2018-12-06_20-25-44.jpg
    photo_2018-12-06_20-25-47.jpg

    To summarise:

    -Hasn't eaten in two weeks since I've got her
    -Sleeps in cold hide, all day. And all night too (I got up at 4am to check on her)
    -Hasn't been pooping since the previous urate only poop (which was half yellow half white)

    Her belly has the slightest bit of blue but doesn't look impacted, although I could be wrong. I've massaged it and it's soft, not bloated or anything. I'm worried sick at this point because she's been sleeping in her cold hide for basically two weeks after the first two days of exploring her tank -.- She just gets up, peeps out at me, then turn back into her cave to sleep.

    Her tank temperatures, as mentioned in previous posts are all within acceptable range.

    I've taken her out of her tank to place her in a temporary cardboard box for now until I can at least rule out impaction.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    70
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default


    LOG IN TO CLOSE THIS AD   


    She’s using both hides in the pictures you posted? Which one is the cool side? The whole you created or the store bought?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

User Tag List

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •