Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 51
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    63
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default


    LOG IN TO CLOSE THIS AD   


    So today when I got home my daughter was freaking out. She couldn't find the queen in her cool hide and thought she escaped and was lost. But for the first time in the 2 weeks that we've had her she is in her humid hide. Also my 8x12 heat mat came in last night. So since she was I. The humid I picked that up and put that hide in a box so I can clean out the tank and swap out the heat mat. Was little upset to find a bunch of mealworms and 4 crickets hiding out all over the tank. So she is obviously eating less then I'm feeding her. So I will just cut back on how much I put in. Cause every time I visually see her eat at least three or four of each. So I'll start dropping only 5 of each on there respected days.

    So I guess with her going I to the humid hide I should be expecting a shed in next couple days. No the hide is completely on the heat mat. Just didn't really get a chance to check the humidity and temp on that cause I don't want to shove the probe while she is in there. The mat goes about half way across the tank because I put it about a half inch or inch away from the left side. And I have it closer to the back of the tank . I should have taken a pic but was rushing cause I was also trying to keep my daughter from trying to take her out of the hide
    Likes Elizabeth Freer, Geopard Lecko liked this post

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    63
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    What temp shouldn't I be among for in the humid hide again? I did put the probe in there too make sure it's is ok because this will be her first she'd with me. So I wanted to make sure it was right. I put the process in and it's been in for few minutes now and the shoes the temp in the humid hide it is 79° and 99% humidity is that too much humidity and to lot a temp? I'm wondering if I put to much spagnuim moss in it


    I actually I repositioned the hide to try and be more centered on the mat and it went up to 80° and by the way the hot hide probe is showing 89°
    Last edited by chillwill007; 03-09-2019 at 03:32 PM.

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Vancouver, WA
    Posts
    275
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Heres my thoughts on the probes.. If you just have it rested on top of the substrate it'll show a lower temp then if its taped down or held down by one of the hides. I think this is because only a portion of the probe is in contact with the heated surface while the rest is exposed to air thus showing you a lower temp. Now im not sure how you're doing it but thats my thoughts an maybe it can help you.
    Geopard Leckos Leopard Geckos, say that 10 times fast!
    Thanks chillwill007 thanked for this post

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    63
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    So just finished feeding her. Instead of dumping a bunch in the tank I dropped then in 1 or 2 at a time and actually watched her eat 11 mealworms. She is definitely about the hunt on love pretty. Cause there was 1 mealworms that didn't really move and she wouldn't go after it. When I would drop another one next to it she snatched up the wiggling one and still didn't touch the the one that wasn't moving
    Likes Elizabeth Freer liked this post

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    USA: Oregon
    Posts
    20,492
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chillwill007 View Post
    What temp shouldn't I be among for in the humid hide again? I did put the probe in there too make sure it's is ok because this will be her first she'd with me. So I wanted to make sure it was right. I put the process in and it's been in for few minutes now and the shoes the temp in the humid hide it is 79° and 99% humidity is that too much humidity and to lot a temp? I'm wondering if I put to much spagnuim moss in it


    I actually I repositioned the hide to try and be more centered on the mat and it went up to 80° and by the way the hot hide probe is showing 89°
    Queen Rainbow Star might just be experimenting with her humid hide for future sheds. Is her skin getting whitish like Casper and loose? We'll know soon.

    80s, upper 80s, is good for the humid hide. Did you spray or soak the moss first?

    Here's the Nitty-Gritty on probes (NOT! ).

    I tape my Hydrofarm Jump Start thermostat's probe to the Radio Shack's digital's probe. The probes are off set a little and held in place by the hide. They rest on the floor of the warm dry hide. Whatever they measure (air or ground), my leo does the same. Both probes agree pretty much.
    Last edited by Elizabeth Freer; 03-10-2019 at 08:14 AM.
    "If you can hear crickets, it's still summer." ;)

    "May the peace that
    You find at the beach
    Follow you home"

    Click: Leo Care Sheet's Table of Contents

    ===> No plain calcium, calcium with D3, or multivitamins inside an enclosure <===

    Oedura castelnaui ~ Lepidodactylus lugubris ~ Phelsuma barbouri ~ Ptychozoon kuhli ~ Cyrtodactylus peguensis zebraicus ~ Phyllurus platurus ~ Eublepharis macularius ~ Correlophus ciliatus ~ (L kimhowelli) ~ (P tigrinus) ~ (P klemmeri) ~ (H garnotii)
    Thanks chillwill007 thanked for this post
    Likes Geopard Lecko, chillwill007 liked this post

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    63
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth Freer View Post
    Queen Rainbow Star might just be experimenting with her humid hide for future sheds. Is her skin getting whitish like Casper and loose? We'll know soon.

    80s, upper 80s, is good for the humid hide. Did you spray or soak the moss first?

    Here's the Nitty-Gritty on probes (NOT! ).

    I tape my Hydrofarm Jump Start thermostat's probe to the Radio Shack's digital's probe. The probes are off set a little and held in place by the hide. They rest on the floor of the warm dry hide. Whatever they measure (air or ground), my leo does the same. Both probes agree pretty much.
    Yeah I spray the moss down every couple of days. This morning looks like she went into the humid hide again instead of her cool hide like she has always done. Skin color still looked the same from what I could tell from last night's feeding.
    Thanks Elizabeth Freer thanked for this post

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    410
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chillwill007 View Post
    Yeah I spray the moss down every couple of days. This morning looks like she went into the humid hide again instead of her cool hide like she has always done. Skin color still looked the same from what I could tell from last night's feeding.
    They like higher humidity, it’s normal even when not shedding. How are you reading the humidity? Just make sure the humidity gauge is not coming in direct contact with the moist substrate as it will give you a false reading. You want to test the “air”inside the moist hide instead. Same thing goes with measuring heat in the moist hide. The temp inside is going to be cooler than the ground outside and may be too cool.
    Thanks chillwill007 thanked for this post
    Likes chillwill007 liked this post

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    410
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Was little upset to find a bunch of mealworms and 4 crickets hiding out all over the tank. So she is obviously eating less then I'm feeding her. So I will just cut back on how much I put in.
    Don’t feed less, it’s likely that the insect just moved out of sight on her. She’s not thin, but her tail can be slightly thicker. You don’t want obese, but you don’t want an underweight Leo because she will likely decline much quicker if she becomes ill.

    There’s a chance that she doesn’t bother to go after the insects in a cooler area. What I mean is that her body temp will decrease quickly (off the heat mat), if the rest of the enclosure is too cool, therefore appetite will not be optimal. Hope this is all making sense, I haven’t been feeling to good and I’m struggling to catch up.
    Last edited by Sg612; 03-10-2019 at 06:59 PM.
    Thanks chillwill007 thanked for this post

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Vancouver, WA
    Posts
    275
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    My girls dont seem to mind chasing down food, but my male is a lazy sob, he will sit in his hide an wait for them to stumble in lookin for the warm spot then BAM! He's smart tho, very opportunistic an doesn't spend much energy.
    Geopard Leckos Leopard Geckos, say that 10 times fast!

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    410
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default


    LOG IN TO CLOSE THIS AD   


    Quote Originally Posted by Geopard Lecko View Post
    My girls dont seem to mind chasing down food, but my male is a lazy sob, he will sit in his hide an wait for them to stumble in lookin for the warm spot then BAM! He's smart tho, very opportunistic an doesn't spend much energy.
    I don’t want to go off topic and get in trouble and so I will quickly mention that he may require higher air temps than the others. I’ve tested several temperature scenarios throughout the years and you’d be surprised of how air temperature can completely change their behavior.
    Likes Geopard Lecko liked this post

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

User Tag List

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •