Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    40
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Geckos Too Warm?? How Can I keep the Cool End Cool in Hotter Months?


    LOG IN TO CLOSE THIS AD   


    Hello, as spring is finally here and the weather is warming up I have found myself in a potential pickle. My two leopard gecko's vivarium's are quite warm. Hot spot (ground temp) is still at 85-90 F. The following is my concern: the cool sides ground temperature is 77 F. Is this two warm? Is there enough of a gradient? The air temp on the hot side is 80 F and the air temp on the cool side is 78 F. Is the air temp to be a concern too? Will my girls be able to regulate their body temperature? I struggle to regulate their air temperature as it almost directly reflects my rooms temperature. They are each in their own 20 Gallon Long tank.

    We made it through last summer with similar temps. I would occasionally place an ice pack on the top of their screen top lid on the cool side to cool that side down, should I continue this?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    396
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rose23 View Post
    Hello, as spring is finally here and the weather is warming up I have found myself in a potential pickle. My two leopard gecko's vivarium's are quite warm. Hot spot (ground temp) is still at 85-90 F. The following is my concern: the cool sides ground temperature is 77 F. Is this two warm? Is there enough of a gradient? The air temp on the hot side is 80 F and the air temp on the cool side is 78 F. Is the air temp to be a concern too? Will my girls be able to regulate their body temperature? I struggle to regulate their air temperature as it almost directly reflects my rooms temperature. They are each in their own 20 Gallon Long tank.

    We made it through last summer with similar temps. I would occasionally place an ice pack on the top of their screen top lid on the cool side to cool that side down, should I continue this?

    Thanks!
    Do you have AC? If so you can set it to go off and on at 75f. How did they react last year? Did they eat well? Which side did they spend most of their time? Some like it slightly warmer than others and so you have to go based on behavior. If they stay on the cool side, you may run into problems.
    Thanks Rose23 thanked for this post
    Likes Rose23 liked this post

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    USA: Oregon
    Posts
    20,394
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

    Default

    Hi Rose ~

    I follow these guidelines for my 14.5 year old leo Cha.

    Temperatures - A temperature gradient from warm to cool maintains your leo's health. Here's a temperature guide for all leopard geckos as measured with the probe of a digital thermometer or a temp gun (and controlled by a thermostat set at 91*F/32.8*C):
    • Warm end ground temperature: 88-92 F (31.1-33.3 C) underneath a leo's warm dry hide
    • Cool end ground temperature: 70ish-75 F (21.1-23.9 C) Usually the cool end ground temperature matches the room temperature where the enclosure sits.
    • no greater than 82ish F (27.8ish C) air temperature - 4 inches above ground on the warm end
    • no greater than 75 F (23.9 C) air temperature - 4 inches above ground on the cool end

    Leave the heat mat/UTH on 24/7. If you wish, during the night turn off overhead lighting/heating (~12 hours on and ~12 hours off) unless ambient room temperatures drop lower than 67ish*F (19.4*C).
    Last edited by Elizabeth Freer; 04-08-2019 at 05:07 AM.
    "If you can hear crickets, it's still summer." ;)

    "May the peace that
    You find at the beach
    Follow you home"

    Click: Leo Care Sheet's Table of Contents

    ===> No plain calcium, calcium with D3, or multivitamins inside an enclosure <===

    Oedura castelnaui ~ Lepidodactylus lugubris ~ Phelsuma barbouri ~ Ptychozoon kuhli ~ Cyrtodactylus peguensis zebraicus ~ Phyllurus platurus ~ Eublepharis macularius ~ Correlophus ciliatus ~ (L kimhowelli) ~ (P tigrinus) ~ (P klemmeri) ~ (H garnotii)
    Thanks Rose23 thanked for this post
    Likes Rose23 liked this post

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    40
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sg612 View Post
    Do you have AC? If so you can set it to go off and on at 75f. How did they react last year? Did they eat well? Which side did they spend most of their time? Some like it slightly warmer than others and so you have to go based on behavior. If they stay on the cool side, you may run into problems.
    Last summer they took it okay, my whole house does have AC since it can get up to 95 F outside during the hottest months. my room can be the warmest room in the house averaging 75 F in the summer. They both ate well and they would spend the day going between their hot hide and their middle hide that is in the center of the gradient, though they did favor the cooler hide/center hide. In the morning I would almost always find them back in their hot hides though.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    40
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth Freer View Post
    Hi Rose ~

    I follow these guidelines for my 14.5 year old leo Cha.

    Temperatures - A temperature gradient from warm to cool maintains your leo's health. Here's a temperature guide for all leopard geckos as measured with the probe of a digital thermometer or a temp gun (and controlled by a thermostat set at 91*F/32.8*C):
    • Warm end ground temperature: 88-92 F (31.1-33.3 C) underneath a leo's warm dry hide
    • Cool end ground temperature: 70ish-75 F (21.1-23.9 C) Usually the cool end ground temperature matches the room temperature where the enclosure sits.
    • no greater than 82ish F (27.8ish C) air temperature - 4 inches above ground on the warm end
    • no greater than 75 F (23.9 C) air temperature - 4 inches above ground on the cool end

    Leave the heat mat/UTH on 24/7. If you wish, during the night turn off overhead lighting/heating (~12 hours on and ~12 hours off) unless ambient room temperatures drop lower than 67ish*F (19.4*C).
    Thank you! My temps almost match completely, my cool end is just a degree or too warmer.
    Likes Elizabeth Freer liked this post

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    USA: Oregon
    Posts
    20,394
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rose23 View Post
    Thank you! My temps almost match completely, my cool end is just a degree or too warmer.
    You're quite welcome.

    Since you DO have A/C you really have nothing to worry about.

    A GU member ("acpart" -- Aliza) who has bred many leopard geckos lives in Massachusetts. She doesn't have A/C. Her leos just tough it out and have done alright during heat waves.
    "If you can hear crickets, it's still summer." ;)

    "May the peace that
    You find at the beach
    Follow you home"

    Click: Leo Care Sheet's Table of Contents

    ===> No plain calcium, calcium with D3, or multivitamins inside an enclosure <===

    Oedura castelnaui ~ Lepidodactylus lugubris ~ Phelsuma barbouri ~ Ptychozoon kuhli ~ Cyrtodactylus peguensis zebraicus ~ Phyllurus platurus ~ Eublepharis macularius ~ Correlophus ciliatus ~ (L kimhowelli) ~ (P tigrinus) ~ (P klemmeri) ~ (H garnotii)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Somerville, MA
    Posts
    6,783
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    That's right! It has gotten up to 96 in my living room! The key is that this only lasts for a day or so. If it were like this every day I think it would be dangerous. My feeling is that in the wild there are episodic temperature extremes as well. I keep a careful eye on them and have never had any geckos seem to go off feed or be miserable during the occasional heat waves.

    Aliza
    Thanks Rose23 thanked for this post
    Likes Rose23, Elizabeth Freer liked this post

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    396
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by acpart View Post
    That's right! It has gotten up to 96 in my living room! The key is that this only lasts for a day or so. If it were like this every day I think it would be dangerous. My feeling is that in the wild there are episodic temperature extremes as well. I keep a careful eye on them and have never had any geckos seem to go off feed or be miserable during the occasional heat waves.

    Aliza
    If they did well in that temp, my point is proven, most are under heated Id be sleeping inside my refrigerator if my home reached 96f!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Somerville, MA
    Posts
    6,783
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default


    LOG IN TO CLOSE THIS AD   


    I don't sleep in my fridge when my home reaches 96!

    Aliza

User Tag List

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •