Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    113
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Starting to get worried... Leopard gecko hasn't eaten for a month and a half


    LOG IN TO CLOSE THIS AD   


    I don't know if this is "spring fever" or if something is wrong with my husbandry. Mae hasn't eaten for a while, last week I decided to syringe feed her. Besides her lack of eating she likes to explore her tank or sit out under the UVB light instead. She's active, alert and her urates have turned all white lately probably from drinking water. She has done this before but I just get really nervous each and every time she does stuff like this. Can anybody give me some peace of mind or should I be really worried?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    113
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I just made a "lay box" out of an Exo Terra snake cave and put eco earth in it, just in case this is due to the need to lay infertile eggs.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Somerville, MA
    Posts
    7,268
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Most of my female leopard geckos aren't eating much. If she's done it before and has gotten through it, maybe it isn't something you need to worry about. Keep offering and see what happens. Maybe you could chart when this happens and if you see a pattern, you'll know next time that it's expected. Here's my Gecko Time article about the yearly cycle with geckos:
    The Yearly Cycle with Geckos - Gecko Time - Gecko Time

    Aliza
    Thanks Digs thanked for this post
    Likes Digs liked this post

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    4
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    If she seems healthy and just isn't eating, you shouldn't be too worried! My leo has done something similar in the past, and she eventually began eating again normally. What insects does your gecko usually eat? Sometimes they'll randomly decide they don't like a certain bug, and will only eat a different kind. Aside from that, this is most likely just the result of physiological changes as she prepares for laying eggs. It usually happens during February-July, so right around now. If that's the case, there's no reason to worry! She will eat when she is ready, just keep offering food and make sure she has enough water + a good humid hide.
    Thanks Digs thanked for this post
    Likes Digs liked this post

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    113
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crypton View Post
    If she seems healthy and just isn't eating, you shouldn't be too worried! My leo has done something similar in the past, and she eventually began eating again normally. What insects does your gecko usually eat? Sometimes they'll randomly decide they don't like a certain bug, and will only eat a different kind. Aside from that, this is most likely just the result of physiological changes as she prepares for laying eggs. It usually happens during February-July, so right around now. If that's the case, there's no reason to worry! She will eat when she is ready, just keep offering food and make sure she has enough water + a good humid hide.
    Thank you, I feed her
    Tropical House crickets
    European house crickets
    Hornworms
    Black soldier fly larvae
    Superworms
    Mealworms
    Dubiaroaches
    I just ordered some Oxbow carnivore care, if it turns out I don't need to use it then I'll just store the bag in a freezer.
    Likes Elizabeth Freer liked this post

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    113
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    She just ate a dubia roach today!
    Likes Elizabeth Freer liked this post

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    USA: Oregon
    Posts
    21,478
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Digs View Post
    Thank you, I feed her
    Tropical House crickets
    European house crickets
    Hornworms
    Black soldier fly larvae
    Superworms
    Mealworms
    Dubiaroaches
    I just ordered some Oxbow carnivore care, if it turns out I don't need to use it then I'll just store the bag in a freezer.
    If you open Carnivore Care store the opened bag in the freezer. Otherwise Carnivore Care only keeps for 7 days, because it has no preservatives.

    Last edited by Elizabeth Freer; 04-06-2020 at 04:53 AM.
    "If you can hear crickets, it's still summer." ;)

    "May the peace that
    You find at the beach
    Follow you home"

    Click: Leo Care Sheet's Table of Contents

    ===> No plain calcium, calcium with D3, or multivitamins inside an enclosure <===

    Oedura castelnaui ~ Lepidodactylus lugubris ~ Phelsuma barbouri ~ Ptychozoon kuhli ~ Cyrtodactylus peguensis zebraicus ~ Phyllurus platurus ~ Eublepharis macularius ~ Correlophus ciliatus ~ (L kimhowelli) ~ (P tigrinus) ~ (P klemmeri) ~ (H garnotii)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    113
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth Freer View Post
    If you open Carnivore Care store the opened bag in the freezer. Otherwise Carnivore Care only keeps for 7 days, because it has no preservatives.

    If it seems I won't use it within 3 months I can donate it to the local cat shelter.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    USA: Oregon
    Posts
    21,478
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Digs View Post
    If it seems I won't use it within 3 months I can donate it to the local cat shelter.
    What a good idea!
    "If you can hear crickets, it's still summer." ;)

    "May the peace that
    You find at the beach
    Follow you home"

    Click: Leo Care Sheet's Table of Contents

    ===> No plain calcium, calcium with D3, or multivitamins inside an enclosure <===

    Oedura castelnaui ~ Lepidodactylus lugubris ~ Phelsuma barbouri ~ Ptychozoon kuhli ~ Cyrtodactylus peguensis zebraicus ~ Phyllurus platurus ~ Eublepharis macularius ~ Correlophus ciliatus ~ (L kimhowelli) ~ (P tigrinus) ~ (P klemmeri) ~ (H garnotii)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    113
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default


    LOG IN TO CLOSE THIS AD   


    Just ordered some hornworms but now I'm thinking that I should have bought silkworms to try them out. I don't have mulberry leaves though I do have mulberry powder but I think they're too picky to eat the mulberry itself. Maggots are going to have to wait too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

User Tag List

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •