Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 44

Thread: Hi Im new here!

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    22
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default


    LOG IN TO CLOSE THIS AD   


    Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth Freer View Post
    Good on these details
    • Thermostat set to 91*F
    • Zoo Med 8 x 12 inch heat mat
    • Warm dry & warm humid hide sitting on top of the heat mat

    I'm confused. It seems like I post one thing. Then you reply with something different. For instance, the thermostat's probe does not go "under the carpet".

    Please answer
    1. Did you buy Hydrofarm's Jump Start thermostat? Yes
    2. What do you mean: "kinda cold in the house this morning"?
    3. What temp = "kinda cold" to you?
    4. Is your 10 gallon in a drafty location? Yes
    5. Is your heat mat plugged into your thermostat? Yes
    6. Then is the thermostat plugged into the wall? No thermostat is plugged into a surge protector
    7. Perhaps Zoo Med's yellow digital thermometer with a probe would be less confusing. It costs about $10.

    This is what you should have from bottom up. Read 1-7 in that order.
    • 7) Wait 4 hours. What does the thermostat's probe read?
    • 6) Put the screen lid on the 10 gallon
    • 5) Cover the thermostat's probe with the warm dry hide!
    • 4) Thermostat's probe sitting on reptile carpet
    • 3) Reptile carpet substrate (inside)
    • 2) Glass enclosure bottom
    • 1) Zoo Med's 8 x 12 under tank heat mat stuck outside the enclosure on one end of the enclosure's bottom
    Good Afternoon,

    Nina is doing great today. She's eating great and having regular bowel movements. Thank you for all of the advice and recommendations. I'm going to sign off here for a little bit to take a break from things. Thank you!

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    USA: Oregon
    Posts
    21,575
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nina2020 View Post
    Good Afternoon,

    Nina is doing great today. She's eating great and having regular bowel movements. Thank you for all of the advice and recommendations. I'm going to sign off here for a little bit to take a break from things. Thank you!
    Thanks for your reply, Haley. You're welcome.

    I hope Nina continues to thrive. Hang in there -- both of you!
    "If you can hear crickets, it's still summer." ;)

    "May the peace that
    You find at the beach
    Follow you home"

    Click: Leo Care Sheet's Table of Contents

    ===> No plain calcium, calcium with D3, or multivitamins inside an enclosure <===

    Oedura castelnaui ~ Lepidodactylus lugubris ~ Phelsuma barbouri ~ Ptychozoon kuhli ~ Cyrtodactylus peguensis zebraicus ~ Phyllurus platurus ~ Eublepharis macularius ~ Correlophus ciliatus ~ (L kimhowelli) ~ (P tigrinus) ~ (P klemmeri) ~ (H garnotii)

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    22
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth Freer View Post
    Thanks for your reply, Haley. You're welcome.

    I hope Nina continues to thrive. Hang in there -- both of you!
    Hello Hello!!! Nina is doing amazing! She has grown SO MUCH since we got her. Her head had gotten wider and her tail has gotten bigger and her body has gotten longer. We got her a new enclosure yesterday. It is the Exo-Terra Natural Desert Reptile Terrarium, it is 24"x18"x12". We will switch her over to that on Sunday that is usually when we clean the one she is in now out. I am so excited to put her in this new one since it has doors on the front which will be easier to access her and clean everything out. My biggest thing is being able to use the heat mat that i purchased on this new enclosure. I am prepared to by a new one if I have to but I was curious if you knew of an easy way for me to get this one off and it still be sticky on the back. The thermostat is AMAZING also.
    Likes Elizabeth Freer liked this post

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    USA: Oregon
    Posts
    21,575
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nina2020 View Post
    Hello Hello!!! Nina is doing amazing! She has grown SO MUCH since we got her. Her head had gotten wider and her tail has gotten bigger and her body has gotten longer. We got her a new enclosure yesterday. It is the Exo-Terra Natural Desert Reptile Terrarium, it is 24"x18"x12". We will switch her over to that on Sunday that is usually when we clean the one she is in now out. I am so excited to put her in this new one since it has doors on the front which will be easier to access her and clean everything out. My biggest thing is being able to use the heat mat that i purchased on this new enclosure. I am prepared to by a new one if I have to but I was curious if you knew of an easy way for me to get this one off and it still be sticky on the back. The thermostat is AMAZING also.
    Woo Hoo, Haley! I'm sure Nina will continue to thrive! As I've mentioned, both the warm dry and the warm moist hides should sit right on top of the heat mat.

    As far as I know you have a Zoo Med 8 x 12 inch heat mat. Stick-on heat mats are really not designed to be reused. There is a chance the internal wires could be damaged when you remove it to switch it to your new enclosure. Then it would be a fire hazard to reuse it.

    I recommend Ultratherm's 11 x 17 inch heat mat for your new Exo Terra. That will not be overkill. Heat mats really just heat the floor where they are placed -- not much more. Then Nina can roam around and still have a warm belly. Ultratherms are reusable as well. Reptile Basics probably has the best prices. You'll need Nashua electrical tape to secure this Ultratherm in place.

    ***** Ultratherms ***** (high quality) are reusable. Snugly attach the heat mat underneath a glass enclosure with double-sided heat safe tape (or tape rolls) down the center and with electrically safe Nashua tape around the edges. When you purchase supplies directly from Amazon, you'll be able to return even electrical products if they do not meet your gecko's needs. Amazon Prime also provides free return shipping. Reptile Basics (336-308-5767) ----> 11 x 11 Ultratherms = $20, 11 x 17 Ultratherms = $22. The Bean Farm (877-708-5882) sells Ultratherm UTHs in 11 different sizes.

    Using Styrofoam Insulation Underneath an Ultratherm Heat Mat . . . . . . Keith -- April 2018
    "I suggest that an Ultratherm UTH is a must. The Ultratherm needs (styro)foam insulation under it, directing the heat upward and into the enclosure. From what I understand, other brands call for air under the UTH, which just allows heat to be lost! The fact that the Ultratherms should have foam insulation under them rather than air also says volumes about their safety. I only know this because I’m still setting up my Vivarium as well."
    "If you can hear crickets, it's still summer." ;)

    "May the peace that
    You find at the beach
    Follow you home"

    Click: Leo Care Sheet's Table of Contents

    ===> No plain calcium, calcium with D3, or multivitamins inside an enclosure <===

    Oedura castelnaui ~ Lepidodactylus lugubris ~ Phelsuma barbouri ~ Ptychozoon kuhli ~ Cyrtodactylus peguensis zebraicus ~ Phyllurus platurus ~ Eublepharis macularius ~ Correlophus ciliatus ~ (L kimhowelli) ~ (P tigrinus) ~ (P klemmeri) ~ (H garnotii)

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    22
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth Freer View Post
    Woo Hoo, Haley! I'm sure Nina will continue to thrive! As I've mentioned, both the warm dry and the warm moist hides should sit right on top of the heat mat.

    As far as I know you have a Zoo Med 8 x 12 inch heat mat. Stick-on heat mats are really not designed to be reused. There is a chance the internal wires could be damaged when you remove it to switch it to your new enclosure. Then it would be a fire hazard to reuse it.

    I recommend Ultratherm's 11 x 17 inch heat mat for your new Exo Terra. That will not be overkill. Heat mats really just heat the floor where they are placed -- not much more. Then Nina can roam around and still have a warm belly. Ultratherms are reusable as well. Reptile Basics probably has the best prices. You'll need Nashua electrical tape to secure this Ultratherm in place.
    Would I be able to use a mat like the on I have on the 10 gallon tank or would I have to get a bigger one? The new enclosure we have go is 20 gallons.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    USA: Oregon
    Posts
    21,575
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nina2020 View Post
    Would I be able to use a mat like the on I have on the 10 gallon tank or would I have to get a bigger one? The new enclosure we have go is 20 gallons.
    No, you can't. An 8 x 12 inch heat mat is much too small for a 20 gallon tank.

    For your new enclosure you'll need an 11 x 17 inch heat mat.

    A bigger enclosure requires a bigger heat mat.
    "If you can hear crickets, it's still summer." ;)

    "May the peace that
    You find at the beach
    Follow you home"

    Click: Leo Care Sheet's Table of Contents

    ===> No plain calcium, calcium with D3, or multivitamins inside an enclosure <===

    Oedura castelnaui ~ Lepidodactylus lugubris ~ Phelsuma barbouri ~ Ptychozoon kuhli ~ Cyrtodactylus peguensis zebraicus ~ Phyllurus platurus ~ Eublepharis macularius ~ Correlophus ciliatus ~ (L kimhowelli) ~ (P tigrinus) ~ (P klemmeri) ~ (H garnotii)

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    22
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth Freer View Post
    No, you can't. An 8 x 12 inch heat mat is much too small for a 20 gallon tank.

    For your new enclosure you'll need an 11 x 17 inch heat mat.

    A bigger enclosure requires a bigger heat mat.
    PetSmart only has a 24 watt mat. They don't have just a 20 watt.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    USA: Oregon
    Posts
    21,575
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nina2020 View Post
    PetSmart only has a 24 watt mat. They don't have just a 20 watt.
    What are the actual dimensions of PetSmart's 24 watt mat?

    You may need to order Nina's heat mat online.
    "If you can hear crickets, it's still summer." ;)

    "May the peace that
    You find at the beach
    Follow you home"

    Click: Leo Care Sheet's Table of Contents

    ===> No plain calcium, calcium with D3, or multivitamins inside an enclosure <===

    Oedura castelnaui ~ Lepidodactylus lugubris ~ Phelsuma barbouri ~ Ptychozoon kuhli ~ Cyrtodactylus peguensis zebraicus ~ Phyllurus platurus ~ Eublepharis macularius ~ Correlophus ciliatus ~ (L kimhowelli) ~ (P tigrinus) ~ (P klemmeri) ~ (H garnotii)

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    22
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth Freer View Post
    What are the actual dimensions of PetSmart's 24 watt mat?

    You may need to order Nina's heat mat online.
    8x18

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    USA: Oregon
    Posts
    21,575
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

    Default


    LOG IN TO CLOSE THIS AD   


    Quote Originally Posted by Nina2020 View Post
    8”x18”
    An 8" x 18" heat mat covers 1/3 the floor area of your 24" x 18" Exo Terra. That is the bare minimum coverage.

    An 11" x 17" heat mat covers a little less than 1/2.
    "If you can hear crickets, it's still summer." ;)

    "May the peace that
    You find at the beach
    Follow you home"

    Click: Leo Care Sheet's Table of Contents

    ===> No plain calcium, calcium with D3, or multivitamins inside an enclosure <===

    Oedura castelnaui ~ Lepidodactylus lugubris ~ Phelsuma barbouri ~ Ptychozoon kuhli ~ Cyrtodactylus peguensis zebraicus ~ Phyllurus platurus ~ Eublepharis macularius ~ Correlophus ciliatus ~ (L kimhowelli) ~ (P tigrinus) ~ (P klemmeri) ~ (H garnotii)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

User Tag List

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •