Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    USA: Oregon
    Posts
    21,744
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

    Default


    LOG IN TO CLOSE THIS AD   


    Quote Originally Posted by Odinsmom View Post
    Update: I decided to get the front sliding glass door tank that’s 48L. I’ll post another photo once it comes on and I set it up.


    I was thinking of staring UVB light. Anyone have an experience with that?
    Will your front sliding glass door tank still measure 48 long x 12 wide x 16 inches high? You might need a 2nd heat mat for an enclosure that long. Could you "daisy chain" an 11 x 11 inch heat mat to the 12 x 18 inch mat you have? I don't know.

    Which brand is your new enclosure?
    I suggest 4-5 hides.

    To get the proper UV Index for a leopard gecko I recommend joining Facebook's Reptile Lighting group and asking their recommendations. Screen mesh reduces UV transmission. Not all mesh screens are equal. To measure the UV Index you need a Solarmeter 6.5 R. Those Solarmeters run from $200-$250. The Reptile Supply Company usually has a good price on 6.5Rs. Reptile Basics is another source.

    Dr. Fran Baines, reptile lighting expert, is one of the admins of Reptile Lighting. She takes your setup under her wing and recommends the best.

    Variables:
    Mesh type (grid)
    Tube fluorescent UVB (or bulb for shorter length and height enclosures). Arcadia and Zoo Med Reptisun tubes/bulbs are excellent!
    UVB fixture (Brand of fixture DOES make a difference!)
    Distance from fixture to enclosure's ground
    Last edited by Elizabeth Freer; 09-28-2020 at 05:22 AM.
    "If you can hear crickets, it's still summer." ;)

    "May the peace that
    You find at the beach
    Follow you home"

    Click: Leo Care Sheet's Table of Contents

    ===> No plain calcium, calcium with D3, or multivitamins inside an enclosure <===

    Oedura castelnaui ~ Lepidodactylus lugubris ~ Phelsuma barbouri ~ Ptychozoon kuhli ~ Cyrtodactylus peguensis zebraicus ~ Phyllurus platurus ~ Eublepharis macularius ~ Correlophus ciliatus ~ (L kimhowelli) ~ (P tigrinus) ~ (P klemmeri) ~ (H garnotii)
    Likes Digs liked this post

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    42
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    It’s says the tank measures 48x18x18. Definitely mansion size ��
    I figured I would need a second heating mat https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B076F...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. I’m more than likely going to buy another 8 x18 mat connect them to an extension and that exterior cord to my thermostat.

    I have found that one mat may can heat two 12x12 state tiles to 90 without a problem, so I was thinking of running them parallel to the 18 width of the tank and with a 5 inch or more distance between the two. What do you think of that?

    I still am going to keep my ceramic heater Over the middle-lower end of the tank to ensure air temps stay high (although this is not much of a problem because I live in Miami,Florida). https://www.walmart.com/ip/REPTIZOO-...8-dee140ef5d9d

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    USA: Oregon
    Posts
    21,744
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Odinsmom View Post
    It’s says the tank measures 48x18x18. Definitely mansion size ��
    I figured I would need a second heating mat https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B076F...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. I’m more than likely going to buy another 8 x18 mat connect them to an extension and that exterior cord to my thermostat.

    I have found that one mat may can heat two 12x12 state tiles to 90 without a problem, so I was thinking of running them parallel to the 18 width of the tank and with a 5 inch or more distance between the two. What do you think of that?

    I still am going to keep my ceramic heater Over the middle-lower end of the tank to ensure air temps stay high (although this is not much of a problem because I live in Miami,Florida). https://www.walmart.com/ip/REPTIZOO-...8-dee140ef5d9d
    If it were me I'd get two 11 x 17 inch Ultratherms. I'd place the 17" side up against the 18" tank width. Then I'd attach the second Ultratherm touching the first with NO gap. Ultratherms can be repositioned and reused. That will cover 17 x 22 inches of the 48 inch length.

    In case you need more slate (16 x 11.8 inch sections), here's a great resource Gutler shared.
    Last edited by Elizabeth Freer; 10-02-2020 at 06:30 PM.
    "If you can hear crickets, it's still summer." ;)

    "May the peace that
    You find at the beach
    Follow you home"

    Click: Leo Care Sheet's Table of Contents

    ===> No plain calcium, calcium with D3, or multivitamins inside an enclosure <===

    Oedura castelnaui ~ Lepidodactylus lugubris ~ Phelsuma barbouri ~ Ptychozoon kuhli ~ Cyrtodactylus peguensis zebraicus ~ Phyllurus platurus ~ Eublepharis macularius ~ Correlophus ciliatus ~ (L kimhowelli) ~ (P tigrinus) ~ (P klemmeri) ~ (H garnotii)

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    42
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Thank you for your suggestions!

    I was able to find the Ultratherms 11x17 on eBay and ordered two.

    The slate was another issue. The one you sent was a bit costly if I wanted to fill my tank 3/4 of the way. I searched high and low and called all over the place! Slate use to be so easy to get years ago!!

    I really wanted 18 x 18 tiles but everyone wanted me to buy min of 30 sqft. I did find one huge tile that will cover 3/4 of my tank. It’s 18 x 36 and I was able to order just ONE at $30 with shipping.
    https://www.wayfair.com/home-improve...-mvp10252.html
    Thanks Elizabeth Freer thanked for this post
    Likes Elizabeth Freer liked this post

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    USA: Oregon
    Posts
    21,744
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Odinsmom View Post
    Thank you for your suggestions!

    I was able to find the Ultratherms 11x17 on eBay and ordered two.

    The slate was another issue. The one you sent was a bit costly if I wanted to fill my tank 3/4 of the way. I searched high and low and called all over the place! Slate use to be so easy to get years ago!!

    I really wanted 18 x 18 tiles but everyone wanted me to buy min of 30 sqft. I did find one huge tile that will cover 3/4 of my tank. It’s 18 x 36 and I was able to order just ONE at $30 with shipping.
    https://www.wayfair.com/home-improve...-mvp10252.html
    You're welcome.

    May I ask how much your Ultratherm heat mats cost on E-Bay?

    I would love to add your 18 x 36 inch tile find to link 163. Can I mention that you found this too?

    You may wish to seal this slate with the water-base, low VOC, sealant you'll find on link 163.


    PS:
    I just added your slate link to link 163. Thanks so much. If you permit, I'd like to add that this tile was recommended by Odinsmom.
    Last edited by Elizabeth Freer; 10-04-2020 at 06:00 PM.
    "If you can hear crickets, it's still summer." ;)

    "May the peace that
    You find at the beach
    Follow you home"

    Click: Leo Care Sheet's Table of Contents

    ===> No plain calcium, calcium with D3, or multivitamins inside an enclosure <===

    Oedura castelnaui ~ Lepidodactylus lugubris ~ Phelsuma barbouri ~ Ptychozoon kuhli ~ Cyrtodactylus peguensis zebraicus ~ Phyllurus platurus ~ Eublepharis macularius ~ Correlophus ciliatus ~ (L kimhowelli) ~ (P tigrinus) ~ (P klemmeri) ~ (H garnotii)
    Likes Odinsmom liked this post

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    42
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Yes absolutely add it! I’d love to be as helpful as I can!
    The mats were $35 each free shipping VS the $42 on Amazon without shipping.

    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultratherm-...6-1c5aa3b35f1f

    I will check out sealing it.

    I must say..Sealing anything on my own is a bit scary because I don’t wan to mess it up, but my last slate titles did have an enormous build up of spilled Calcium that I couldn’t get completely off with soap and water.
    Last edited by Odinsmom; 10-04-2020 at 04:39 PM.
    Likes Elizabeth Freer liked this post

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    USA: Oregon
    Posts
    21,744
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Odinsmom View Post
    Yes absolutely add it! I’d love to be as helpful as I can!
    The mats were $35 each free shipping VS the $42 on Amazon without shipping.

    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultratherm-...6-1c5aa3b35f1f

    I will check out sealing it.

    I must say..Sealing anything on my own is a bit scary because I don’t wan to mess it up, but my last slate titles did have an enormous build up of spilled Calcium that I couldn’t get completely off with soap and water.
    Thanks so much.

    It's been awhile since I priced Ultratherm 11 x 17s on Reptile Basics or on the Reptile Supply Company. Just checked. Both these companies still offer 11 x 17s for $22 each. I didn't check on shipping costs.

    For link 163 click: Slate Cheese Trays 16" x 12" (11.8 inches = actual width) x 0.3 inch for Leo Substrate . . . . . . Gutler & Odinsmom -- October 2020 update
    Last edited by Elizabeth Freer; 10-04-2020 at 06:53 PM.
    "If you can hear crickets, it's still summer." ;)

    "May the peace that
    You find at the beach
    Follow you home"

    Click: Leo Care Sheet's Table of Contents

    ===> No plain calcium, calcium with D3, or multivitamins inside an enclosure <===

    Oedura castelnaui ~ Lepidodactylus lugubris ~ Phelsuma barbouri ~ Ptychozoon kuhli ~ Cyrtodactylus peguensis zebraicus ~ Phyllurus platurus ~ Eublepharis macularius ~ Correlophus ciliatus ~ (L kimhowelli) ~ (P tigrinus) ~ (P klemmeri) ~ (H garnotii)
    Likes Odinsmom liked this post

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    42
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I am sure this is a silly question but I finally got everything in and up and running (pics soon).

    I don’t get my gecko for another two weeks: will I need to rewash everything before I get him?


    Side note: the slate arrived safely but was 3/4 of an inch too wide for my Reptizoo terrarium( inside was 17.25 inches and the slate was 17.75 inches, so I cut it to 17 inches).. I had a dremel so I was able to buy a diamond wheel bit from the homedepot and saw the chunk off.
    Likes Elizabeth Freer liked this post

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    USA: Oregon
    Posts
    21,744
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

    Default


    LOG IN TO CLOSE THIS AD   


    Quote Originally Posted by Odinsmom View Post
    I am sure this is a silly question but I finally got everything in and up and running (pics soon).

    I don’t get my gecko for another two weeks: will I need to rewash everything before I get him?


    Side note: the slate arrived safely but was 3/4 of an inch too wide for my Reptizoo terrarium( inside was 17.25 inches and the slate was 17.75 inches, so I cut it to 17 inches).. I had a dremel so I was able to buy a diamond wheel bit from the homedepot and saw the chunk off.
    I'm glad your huge piece of slate arrived in one piece! I was concerned about that. You sound pretty handy with your dremel and new diamond wheel bit!!!

    As long as you thoroughly cleaned the new enclosure and all it's furnishings before you set them up, you're good to go.

    I look forward to your pics.
    "If you can hear crickets, it's still summer." ;)

    "May the peace that
    You find at the beach
    Follow you home"

    Click: Leo Care Sheet's Table of Contents

    ===> No plain calcium, calcium with D3, or multivitamins inside an enclosure <===

    Oedura castelnaui ~ Lepidodactylus lugubris ~ Phelsuma barbouri ~ Ptychozoon kuhli ~ Cyrtodactylus peguensis zebraicus ~ Phyllurus platurus ~ Eublepharis macularius ~ Correlophus ciliatus ~ (L kimhowelli) ~ (P tigrinus) ~ (P klemmeri) ~ (H garnotii)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

User Tag List

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •