Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    35
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default


    LOG IN TO CLOSE THIS AD   


    Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth Freer View Post
    What size is your enclosure? What are night and day room temps there?

    I recommend that the heat pad take up 1/2 of the base of the enclosure. Only for a 10 gallon maybe 1/3 the base.

    Temperatures - A temperature gradient from warm to cool maintains your leo's health. Here's a temperature guide for all leopard geckos as measured with the probe of a digital thermometer or a temp gun (and controlled by a thermostat set at 91*F/32.8*C):
    • 88-92 F (31.1-33.3 C) ground temperature right underneath a leo's warm dry hide
    • no greater than 82ish F (27.8ish C) air temperature - 4 inches above ground on the warm end
    • no greater than 75 F (23.9 C) air temperature - 4 inches above ground on the cool end

    Leave the UTH on 24/7. At night turn off overhead lighting/heating (~12 hours on and ~12 hours off) unless ambient room temperatures drop lower than 67ish*F (19.4*C).
    This is a stupid question but will a thermostat turn the CHE back on when the tank reaches a certain temp or will it just turn it off?

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Prague
    Posts
    367
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by izzybpb View Post
    I believe that the enclosure is ten gallons. at night the room drops to 69 degrees and during the day its around 73. i think im actually going to take out the overhead light altogether and see how an UTH does. if i need more heat, ill get a ceramic heater. but ive been told that light coming in through my windows will be enough to stimulate photoperiods.
    Don't take out the light. It's beneficial for the gecko. It's an old myth that light is harmful to leopards. As long as he has enough of places to hide it's ok. Sometimes they keep their tail out to absorb heat, or even bask under the light.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    35
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IHaveNoIdea View Post
    Don't take out the light. It's beneficial for the gecko. It's an old myth that light is harmful to leopards. As long as he has enough of places to hide it's ok. Sometimes they keep their tail out to absorb heat, or even bask under the light.
    I hope you’re right. So a normal white bulb should be fine? Or should I get a colored bulb? And what wattage?

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Prague
    Posts
    367
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Ideal would be getting a bulb like this Exo Terra : Intense Basking Spot It doesn't have to be Exo Terra, there is a lot of these on market.
    25W is enough and it's just a few bucks..

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    USA: Oregon
    Posts
    22,251
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by izzybpb View Post
    I hope you’re right. So a normal white bulb should be fine? Or should I get a colored bulb? And what wattage?
    All you need is a 15 watt incandescent bulb dimmed to 1/2 power by a Lutron rheostat. Home Depot carries those bulbs.

    The majority of the heat should come from the UTH.
    "If you can hear crickets, it's still summer." ;)

    "May the peace that
    You find at the beach
    Follow you home"

    Click: Leo Care Sheet's Table of Contents

    ===> No plain calcium, calcium with D3, or multivitamins inside an enclosure <===

    Oedura castelnaui ~ Lepidodactylus lugubris ~ Phelsuma barbouri ~ Ptychozoon kuhli ~ Cyrtodactylus peguensis zebraicus ~ Phyllurus platurus ~ Eublepharis macularius ~ Correlophus ciliatus ~ (L kimhowelli) ~ (P tigrinus) ~ (P klemmeri) ~ (H garnotii)
    Thanks izzybpb thanked for this post

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Prague
    Posts
    367
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth Freer View Post
    All you need is a 15 watt incandescent bulb dimmed to 1/2 power by a Lutron rheostat. Home Depot carries those bulbs.

    The majority of the heat should come from the UTH.
    Just 15W and furthermore dimmed to half will serve no purpose at all. I agree that majority of heat should come from the UTH, but this is like spitting into a lake. Plus, like I said, leopard geckos actually do bask. Read some new info.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    35
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IHaveNoIdea View Post
    Just 15W and furthermore dimmed to half will serve no purpose at all. I agree that majority of heat should come from the UTH, but this is like spitting into a lake. Plus, like I said, leopard geckos actually do bask. Read some new info.
    I think Iím going to stick w my 40 watt red bulb for now
    Likes Seth9999 liked this post

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    57
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    You can use paper towels, just be prepared to use a LOT of them. Tile is best (what I use for my geckos) because it is very inexpensive, looks nice, and is SUPER easy to clean.
    Most people prefer UTH's because they take up less space then light bulbs, also, they keep the floor temperature correct. Leo's digest best with belly heat, and light bulbs tend to heat the air more. In order to heat the floor to the correct temperature, you'd have to have a higher watt bulb, but if you use a higher watt bulb, it is likely the air temperature would be too hot. That's why most people use UTH's...
    Last edited by Leo844; 02-17-2018 at 11:21 AM.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    35
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Leo844 View Post
    You can use paper towels, just be prepared to use a LOT of them. Tile is best (what I use for my geckos) because it is very inexpensive, looks nice, and is SUPER easy to clean.
    Most people prefer UTH's because they take up less space then light bulbs, also, they keep the floor temperature correct. Leo's digest best with belly heat, and light bulbs tend to heat the air more. In order to heat the floor to the correct temperature, you'd have to have a higher watt bulb, but if you use a higher watt bulb, it is likely the air temperature would be too hot. That's why most people use UTH's...
    I actually just bought tiles! I still have to cut them tho. And I have a UTH and a red 40w bulb. The air temp is in the 80s and floor temp under the dry hide is 93. The cool side is in the 70s

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    57
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default


    LOG IN TO CLOSE THIS AD   


    Those temps sound great.
    Thanks izzybpb thanked for this post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

User Tag List

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •