Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Posts
    10
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Shadedweller on top of mesh lid?


    LOG IN TO CLOSE THIS AD   


    I recently moved my leo into a bioactive terrarium. The terrarium is the Exo Terra 36x18x18. I am trying to find out what would be acceptable for his UVB light. As the title says, it is the 7% Arcadia Shadedweller setup. I created a basking platform/hide for him. The top of the basking platform is about 12" from the bulb. I know that the lid blocks UVB, but do you think it would be to the point that it is unusable for him? I can attempt to mount on inside if needed, I purchased some zip ties. I am just trying to figure out what the best move would be for him, and me.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    USA: Oregon
    Posts
    22,235
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vince51893 View Post
    I recently moved my leo into a bioactive terrarium. The terrarium is the Exo Terra 36x18x18. I am trying to find out what would be acceptable for his UVB light. As the title says, it is the 7% Arcadia Shadedweller setup. I created a basking platform/hide for him. The top of the basking platform is about 12" from the bulb. I know that the lid blocks UVB, but do you think it would be to the point that it is unusable for him? I can attempt to mount on inside if needed, I purchased some zip ties. I am just trying to figure out what the best move would be for him, and me.
    May we have some images if your setup? Exo Terra type mesh reduces UVB about 1/3.

    Do you have a bioactive substrate that also raises most of the "ground" to 12 inches above the substrate? Are you using a partially slate substrate as the basking area? From what I hear, 12 inches is correct under the Shade Dweller. That can be achieved by placing the Shade Dweller UVB directly on top of the Exo Terra's screen. What you also need is a reflective fixture.

    A leopard gecko requires a Ferguson Zone UV Index between 0.5-1.0 as measured by a 6.5R Solarmeter.
    Last edited by Elizabeth Freer; 05-05-2021 at 02:07 AM.
    "If you can hear crickets, it's still summer." ;)

    "May the peace that
    You find at the beach
    Follow you home"

    Click: Leo Care Sheet's Table of Contents

    ===> No plain calcium, calcium with D3, or multivitamins inside an enclosure <===

    Oedura castelnaui ~ Lepidodactylus lugubris ~ Phelsuma barbouri ~ Ptychozoon kuhli ~ Cyrtodactylus peguensis zebraicus ~ Phyllurus platurus ~ Eublepharis macularius ~ Correlophus ciliatus ~ (L kimhowelli) ~ (P tigrinus) ~ (P klemmeri) ~ (H garnotii)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Posts
    10
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth Freer View Post
    Do you have a bioactive substrate that also raises most of the "ground" to 12 inches above the substrate? Are you using a partially substrate as the basing area. From what I hear, 12 inches is correct under the Shade Dweller. That can be achieved by placing the Shade Dweller UVB directly on top of the Exo Terra's screen. What you also need is a reflective fixture

    A leopard gecko requires a Ferguson Zone UV Index between 0.5-1.0 as measured by a 6.5R Solarmeter.
    So my tank is 18" tall but with the substrate and the basking platform, it is 12" away. The fixture comes with a reflector. I went ahead and added the zip ties preemptively in anticipation of replies to this thread. If I leave it mounted under the screen 12" away, will that be okay? Or could that possibly be TOO much uvb?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Posts
    10
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth Freer View Post
    May we have some images if your setup? Exo Terra type mesh reduces UVB about 1/3.

    Do you have a bioactive substrate that also raises most of the "ground" to 12 inches above the substrate? Are you using a partially slate substrate as the basking area? From what I hear, 12 inches is correct under the Shade Dweller. That can be achieved by placing the Shade Dweller UVB directly on top of the Exo Terra's screen. What you also need is a reflective fixture.

    A leopard gecko requires a Ferguson Zone UV Index between 0.5-1.0 as measured by a 6.5R Solarmeter.
    IMG_20210505_005830.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    USA: Oregon
    Posts
    22,235
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vince51893 View Post
    So my tank is 18" tall but with the substrate and the basking platform, it is 12" away. The fixture comes with a reflector. I went ahead and added the zip ties preemptively in anticipation of replies to this thread. If I leave it mounted under the screen 12" away, will that be okay? Or could that possibly be TOO much uvb?


    Quote Originally Posted by vince51893 View Post
    Thanks!

    How are you heating this enclosure?

    If you're using a heat pad, what are the dimensions?
    "If you can hear crickets, it's still summer." ;)

    "May the peace that
    You find at the beach
    Follow you home"

    Click: Leo Care Sheet's Table of Contents

    ===> No plain calcium, calcium with D3, or multivitamins inside an enclosure <===

    Oedura castelnaui ~ Lepidodactylus lugubris ~ Phelsuma barbouri ~ Ptychozoon kuhli ~ Cyrtodactylus peguensis zebraicus ~ Phyllurus platurus ~ Eublepharis macularius ~ Correlophus ciliatus ~ (L kimhowelli) ~ (P tigrinus) ~ (P klemmeri) ~ (H garnotii)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Posts
    10
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I am using a deep heat projector connected to a dimming thermostat.
    Likes Elizabeth Freer liked this post

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    USA: Oregon
    Posts
    22,235
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

    Default

    Did your Arcadia ShadeDweller come with a 12 inch linear fixture?
    "If you can hear crickets, it's still summer." ;)

    "May the peace that
    You find at the beach
    Follow you home"

    Click: Leo Care Sheet's Table of Contents

    ===> No plain calcium, calcium with D3, or multivitamins inside an enclosure <===

    Oedura castelnaui ~ Lepidodactylus lugubris ~ Phelsuma barbouri ~ Ptychozoon kuhli ~ Cyrtodactylus peguensis zebraicus ~ Phyllurus platurus ~ Eublepharis macularius ~ Correlophus ciliatus ~ (L kimhowelli) ~ (P tigrinus) ~ (P klemmeri) ~ (H garnotii)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Posts
    10
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Yes, it came with the fixture and reflector.
    Likes Elizabeth Freer liked this post

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    USA: Oregon
    Posts
    22,235
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth Freer View Post
    Did your Arcadia ShadeDweller come with a 12 inch linear fixture?
    Sorry about all my edits.

    Do you have the 50 watt or the 80 watt DHP?

    It's important to pair the Shade Dweller with the heat source.

    I "thought" ShadeDweller requires a 12 inch reflective linear fixture. Maybe you haven't added that yet? I've heard recs for half the length.

    I suggest adding slate to the basking area to expand your leo's options. Slate is a superior stone for absorbing heat. I do have some slate sources.
    "If you can hear crickets, it's still summer." ;)

    "May the peace that
    You find at the beach
    Follow you home"

    Click: Leo Care Sheet's Table of Contents

    ===> No plain calcium, calcium with D3, or multivitamins inside an enclosure <===

    Oedura castelnaui ~ Lepidodactylus lugubris ~ Phelsuma barbouri ~ Ptychozoon kuhli ~ Cyrtodactylus peguensis zebraicus ~ Phyllurus platurus ~ Eublepharis macularius ~ Correlophus ciliatus ~ (L kimhowelli) ~ (P tigrinus) ~ (P klemmeri) ~ (H garnotii)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Posts
    10
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default


    LOG IN TO CLOSE THIS AD   


    I have the 80 watt dhp. It is connected to the thermostat and I constantly monitor with temperature gun. The temperatures stay absolutely constant to what I have it set for. The picture I posted has a different top because I was adding the zip ties to mount the uvb. I was going to put the other lid on in the morning. I am not sure what rock I have, I got it from a local pet store, but it does a great job holding the heat.
    Likes Elizabeth Freer liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

User Tag List

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •