Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    300
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default


    LOG IN TO CLOSE THIS AD   


    The idea behind uvb is great, but there isn't bulb, lamp that fits in well for leopard geckos. At least my two geckos, Cecil and Cleo. In order to get benefits of uvb , the gecko has to tolerate the bright light it puts off.
    Both my geckos lounge around in morning. Cecil on his carpet and cleo on her rock, every morning when uvb kicks on , they pack it in and head for moist hides.
    If light is on , their out or looking out hide holes, witch ever eye is closes to uvb bright light, eye will be closed.
    I have uvb come on from 7am tell 1030 am. If they need it or want it, they can stay put , soak it up. I didn't want them to feel need to hide. It seems uvb was doing that. My poor little girl trying see with one eye open . Clearly light was bothering her.
    I have 6% d3 reptile lamp by arcadia in t8 fixtures. The t8 is correct fixture to keep strength of lamp down to correct dose at 12inchs high.. t5 fixture with same lamp needs be 20inches high.
    Thanks Reptilelady, Elizabeth Freer thanked for this post
    Likes Reptilelady, Elizabeth Freer liked this post

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    USA: Oregon
    Posts
    22,188
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

    Default

    Wooden and melamine enclosures are more often used in Europe and in Canada. The heat mat goes inside and raised above the enclosure's floor. Here's an example:
    image (1).jpg image (4).jpg

    I updated this link with your Arcadia feedback. Arcadia's ShadeDweller lighting is interesting. Thanks so much!
    "If you can hear crickets, it's still summer." ;)

    "May the peace that
    You find at the beach
    Follow you home"

    Click: Leo Care Sheet's Table of Contents

    ===> No plain calcium, calcium with D3, or multivitamins inside an enclosure <===

    Oedura castelnaui ~ Lepidodactylus lugubris ~ Phelsuma barbouri ~ Ptychozoon kuhli ~ Cyrtodactylus peguensis zebraicus ~ Phyllurus platurus ~ Eublepharis macularius ~ Correlophus ciliatus ~ (L kimhowelli) ~ (P tigrinus) ~ (P klemmeri) ~ (H garnotii)
    Thanks Reptilelady thanked for this post
    Likes Reptilelady liked this post

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    USA: Oregon
    Posts
    22,188
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Seth9999 View Post
    The idea behind uvb is great, but there isn't bulb, lamp that fits in well for leopard geckos. At least my two geckos, Cecil and Cleo. In order to get benefits of uvb , the gecko has to tolerate the bright light it puts off.
    Both my geckos lounge around in morning. Cecil on his carpet and cleo on her rock, every morning when uvb kicks on , they pack it in and head for moist hides.
    If light is on , their out or looking out hide holes, witch ever eye is closes to uvb bright light, eye will be closed.
    I have uvb come on from 7am tell 1030 am. If they need it or want it, they can stay put , soak it up. I didn't want them to feel need to hide. It seems uvb was doing that. My poor little girl trying see with one eye open . Clearly light was bothering her.

    I have 6% d3 reptile lamp by arcadia in t8 fixtures. The t8 is correct fixture to keep strength of lamp down to correct dose at 12inchs high.. t5 fixture with same lamp needs be 20inches high.
    Here's a 2018 lighting product developed by Arcadia and shared a couple posts ago by Reptilelady. I wonder whether this can be "the answer" for our shade dwellers.

    Seth has purchased a Solarmeter, so he can measure first-hand the strength of UVB at various distances from the source.
    Last edited by Elizabeth Freer; 07-02-2018 at 05:18 AM.
    "If you can hear crickets, it's still summer." ;)

    "May the peace that
    You find at the beach
    Follow you home"

    Click: Leo Care Sheet's Table of Contents

    ===> No plain calcium, calcium with D3, or multivitamins inside an enclosure <===

    Oedura castelnaui ~ Lepidodactylus lugubris ~ Phelsuma barbouri ~ Ptychozoon kuhli ~ Cyrtodactylus peguensis zebraicus ~ Phyllurus platurus ~ Eublepharis macularius ~ Correlophus ciliatus ~ (L kimhowelli) ~ (P tigrinus) ~ (P klemmeri) ~ (H garnotii)
    Thanks Reptilelady thanked for this post
    Likes Reptilelady liked this post

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    95
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Just to let everyone know I decided to revert back to her tile. The Eco Earth was insane to clean up and hard to keep up. Also, it was very "dirty-dusty" type so I dont know if I want to keep her on that even if it was a little portion of her enclosure. I'm still looking into the Bio-Active setups but its still considered "new" not really diving into anything just yet unless anyone here has a comment or advice to say about it. I would like to get her an enclosure where the doors slide open and perhaps more space. The enclosure she is in now looks like a big square like. Kind of leaning towards the long terrariums. I also have changed my timer to go on/off a couple of hours in the morning and at the evening time. The Shade-Dweller UVB looks really intriguing and cant wait to see what others are saying about it. I wonder if it will be available in the US? Or through a website to purchase? I know there is a couple sites like https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/...ury-vapor.html and Arcadia UVB Fluorescent Bulbs

    But... for now she seems happy
    Likes Elizabeth Freer liked this post

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    USA: Oregon
    Posts
    22,188
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

    Default

    I just added your Pangea link for UVB bulbs to care sheet post 55.
    "If you can hear crickets, it's still summer." ;)

    "May the peace that
    You find at the beach
    Follow you home"

    Click: Leo Care Sheet's Table of Contents

    ===> No plain calcium, calcium with D3, or multivitamins inside an enclosure <===

    Oedura castelnaui ~ Lepidodactylus lugubris ~ Phelsuma barbouri ~ Ptychozoon kuhli ~ Cyrtodactylus peguensis zebraicus ~ Phyllurus platurus ~ Eublepharis macularius ~ Correlophus ciliatus ~ (L kimhowelli) ~ (P tigrinus) ~ (P klemmeri) ~ (H garnotii)
    Thanks Reptilelady thanked for this post
    Likes Reptilelady liked this post

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    95
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Awesome I just discovered Leia does not like BSFL's LOL oh well. Shes just a simple gal: Crickets, mealworms and superworms haha.
    Likes Elizabeth Freer liked this post

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    USA: Oregon
    Posts
    22,188
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reptilelady View Post
    Awesome I just discovered Leia does not like BSFL's LOL oh well. Shes just a simple gal: Crickets, mealworms and superworms haha.
    Did you try rinsing BSFL or poking them with a pin? They are kinda tough. Click link below for Zux's recommendation.

    Here's how to make Phoenix worms (BSFL) more palatable:
    • Rinse the medium off. A fine mesh sieve works great.
    • Let them crawl around on a paper towel to dry, then feed. If they are dry, they will not climb.
    • Even some of the black ones "rejuvenate" when rinsed if they are not too far gone.
    • The darker ones are higher in calcium.
    • Save the dead ones. They may morph into flies, which your gecko may eat.
    For 5 click: Black Soldier Fly Larvae (Phoenix/calci/repti worms & NutriGrubs) Care
    Last edited by Elizabeth Freer; 07-03-2018 at 03:25 AM.
    "If you can hear crickets, it's still summer." ;)

    "May the peace that
    You find at the beach
    Follow you home"

    Click: Leo Care Sheet's Table of Contents

    ===> No plain calcium, calcium with D3, or multivitamins inside an enclosure <===

    Oedura castelnaui ~ Lepidodactylus lugubris ~ Phelsuma barbouri ~ Ptychozoon kuhli ~ Cyrtodactylus peguensis zebraicus ~ Phyllurus platurus ~ Eublepharis macularius ~ Correlophus ciliatus ~ (L kimhowelli) ~ (P tigrinus) ~ (P klemmeri) ~ (H garnotii)
    Thanks Reptilelady thanked for this post
    Likes Reptilelady liked this post

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    95
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Thank you so much for the tips. I did rinse them off since they come in with dirt/sand whatever that is. She is just an extremely picky eater. Although, she is a bit chunky, but healthy looking so perhaps she's not exactly hungry. I will try again though in a few days though
    Likes Elizabeth Freer liked this post

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    95
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I checked on Leia shes in her favorite reptile den hide. Ever since I got it for her she loves it so much she spends most of her time in there. Her skin looking dull shes probably going to be going through another shed again so I know her appetite is affected as well. She doesnt get hungry as much and she is very moody. Tail wags and one time she like did a jump/dart in the other direction. Crazy girl

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    USA: Oregon
    Posts
    22,188
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

    Default


    LOG IN TO CLOSE THIS AD   


    Quote Originally Posted by Reptilelady View Post
    I checked on Leia shes in her favorite reptile den hide. Ever since I got it for her she loves it so much she spends most of her time in there. Her skin looking dull shes probably going to be going through another shed again so I know her appetite is affected as well. She doesnt get hungry as much and she is very moody. Tail wags and one time she like did a jump/dart in the other direction. Crazy girl


    "If you can hear crickets, it's still summer." ;)

    "May the peace that
    You find at the beach
    Follow you home"

    Click: Leo Care Sheet's Table of Contents

    ===> No plain calcium, calcium with D3, or multivitamins inside an enclosure <===

    Oedura castelnaui ~ Lepidodactylus lugubris ~ Phelsuma barbouri ~ Ptychozoon kuhli ~ Cyrtodactylus peguensis zebraicus ~ Phyllurus platurus ~ Eublepharis macularius ~ Correlophus ciliatus ~ (L kimhowelli) ~ (P tigrinus) ~ (P klemmeri) ~ (H garnotii)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

User Tag List

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •