two new Frog Eye's :)

Ozymandias

sp went to the white plains expo and picked up two frog eyed geckos, I believe they are roborowskii but cant be sure. I’ve always liked these guys so vary happy I managed to pick them up. So par they have been hilarious to watch and I must say are like little bulldogs of a gecko. I curtly have them in a 29 gallon tank with a mixture of Jurassic sand (didn’t by enough of it) and sieved play sand. For hides I’m using cork bark and they seam to like it and right after I put them in they started digging like crazy.

Right after I got home while they where still in the cup.
gecko2JPG.jpg

geckos2a.jpg

gecko1.jpg

gecko1a.jpg

this is the 29 gallon (used to hold my tiger hissing roaches but that changed fast) defiantly need more sand but really want to use Jurassic sand for this tank will have to wait till the next show i guess or order it off line.
P1080108.jpg

they lightened up when they got into the tank, the male I think turns a vary bright white
P1080113.jpg

Them taking some interest into some lateralis, the male (left) was a pig but the female finely took some interest after the lights went out.
P1080116.jpg

male in the feed dish lol
P1080119.jpg

female finally going over to investigate
P1080125.jpg

also picked up some cork bark but now I think this is going to be a fairly regular trip man was it cool.

Ozymandias

thats what i thought and what i was actually looking for so thats good now i just hope i got a male and female. how do you sex them?

mdmlss23

male have two pronownced bulges in postcloacal area white plains in usally a good show sorry i missed it now did they have any other types of frog eyes

Ozymandias

thanks. i was actually surprised to see them i know i saw one at the lllreptiles booth (only one) for 30. i found mine at the booth on stage (i think the ether part of Tiffany's Frogs or right next to it) for $15 each. thay had quite a few up there all the same species along with some leo's, pictus (i believe) and a pair of moon glow cresties that where not for sale. in fact i think i've seen pictures of both of them on here just have to dig up the thread.

Last edited:

rhachic

i went to that show too and i didn't see any others (besides the 3 mentioned). the one at lll's table had bits of bright orange around the black bands, i'd never seen that before. I only have a pair of prezwalski...probably should have snagged that roborowski while i had the chance! Frog eyes are awesome, they're monster eaters and most have no fear!

Ozymandias

i actually almost bought that guy too when i saw him actually but i only had $100 to really spend so i went with these little guys. just glad i found them at all and ya i swear thay tare through roaches like there is no tomorrow.

KClark

i dont want to sound pushy but ive talked to a veterinarian about dusting feeeders and was told just lightly dust them, never have excess around, consuming too much can cause problems such as gout and organ toxicity. so just in concern of your gorgeous lil guys! :) you take such lovely pictures they are really cool geckos

Ozymandias

thanks for the warning, wasn't to sure about it and that first day. cut down on it alot believe me so i'm hoping that should be ok.

raku_ubun

I used to put those suppliment powder in a plastic bag, then crickets in and shake it. Slightly dusted and fed twice a week. I am not sure if my gecko did overtake but thanks for your warning anyway. I will keep an eye on this issue.

dragonlvr

How are your Frogs doing:) I have a total of 6 of them.
I find them to have such incredible personalities with each other. They will "greet" each other. Touching their cheeks to each other in passing.
I too find they eat roaches like they have never been fed before!
Good to see someone else has them! Hoping to get a breeding project going with them.

Ozymandias

there doing good don't see them often (but more often them my cresties to be honest). i actually prepare the food for my geckos and roaches right in front of there tank and one of them will often come out to watch me. really are an under appreciated gecko.

dragonlvr

I have mine in two groups of three. My one group that I have had longer is out all the time. During the day, night, does not matter. Kind of cool. As soon as food shows up, all of them are out.
Do yours ever touch their faces to each other? Mine do that all the time, just kills me!! :lol:

Ozymandias

seen them lick each other a few times and one does head but the other one, havent seen them touch cheeks though.