Leos having health issues,setup question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptbmaniac

A couple weeks ago I lost a Leo during the night due to a bad shed that suffocated her because her nose and mouth were blocked.Now another Leo has ulcers in BOTH eyes. The vet said she believed that both eyes got scratched either by a cricket,or during shedding by the wood hide or her nails. She also said that Leos are known for eye problems and also because of specific genetics through breeding some are at a higher risk which I have read in numerous articles. However that is NOT the case in this instance. She put dye in both eyes to determine the damage.The outlook is not looking good for her as far as her sight goes.She is eating and is healthy in every other way.I got ran out of another site for posting this,so I wanted to try and get some responses here. Do you think that there is anything wrong with these setups? Both tanks are exactly the same.

Setups are a 20 long with cage carpet as substrate. Uth for heat. Wood and resin hides,and a tupperware humid hide on the hot side. Moss is used in the humid hide. Flat stones used in the corners to hold carpet in place. Shallow water bowl,small calcium bowl,and small food bowl.Hot side is between 90-92 degrees.Cool side between 75-78. They are fed mealworms and crickets as staple foods. Crickets are gutloaded properly and dusted before feeding. Mealworms are checked and are alive for feeding.

I would like to change over to slate in the future.I cant right now,because the vet bill for this gecko has been high. Also both Geckos were purchased at a reptile expo about 2 years ago. I only buy through breeders.

Embrace Calamity

Hello,

A few questions..

Are these temps ground only?
Air temp on both sides?
What type of thermometer are you using?
What's the exact name of each supplement you are providing?
Is the calcium in the enclosure 100% plain calcium?

Read over the caresheet as well.
http://www.geckosunlimited.com/comm...-macularius-demo-video-4-jan-2013-update.html
This person posted on another forum, and it turns out their gecko is getting 0 vitamin A. The supplement contains only beta carotene and there isn't any multivitamin being given. I'm aware (and have seen examples) of vitamin A deficiencies causing shedding problems, eye problems, and ulcers, so I suggested this may be the cause (though apparently the vet never discussed this possibility). Does this stand to reason to you as well?

~Maggot

ptbmaniac

It does seem like it could very well be an issue with vitamin A! The book that I have and the the info I got from the breeder was wrong. I was under the impression that beta carotene was used to make vitamin A. I have seen that on multiple care sheets. I will correct this problem and try to save this gecko and all future geckos. I thank everyone who has alerted me to this critical mistake. I feel so bad that this creature is going through this tramatic event due to bad information. I have been looking for the right supplements,however the local petstore only has stuff with beta carotene in it. The search is on for the right supplemnts. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Hilde

Administrator
Staff member
Is the calcium in the enclosure 100% plain calcium?

This person posted on another forum, and it turns out their gecko is getting 0 vitamin A. The supplement contains only beta carotene

The problem isn't always related to not getting enough Vitamin A by using beta-carotene instead of pre-formed Vitamin A. It could be because of too much Vitamin D, or even unrestricted access to calcium - that self-dosing calcium supply kept in the tank 24/7.

Calcium needs Vitamin D3 to be absorbed, so it's easy enough to make sure there's no excess absorbed by limiting Vitamin D3. However, allowing the gecko access to calcium in the enclosure could very easily cause nutritional deficiencies. Any calcium that doesn't get absorbed will line the intestinal tract, coat it with an impermeable barrier which hinders absorption of other nutrients, vitamins, minerals and even medications. It can also cause dehydration by drawing water from the body into the intestines. You might have noticed medications say not to take them with, or within a specific time, of taking calcium, and to limit dairy products. This is because the calcium can prevent their absorption. Adjusting the vitamin and mineral supplementation won't fix the problem of excess calcium. The only way is to remove the calcium supply from the enclosure and supply the calcium via dusting and gutloading the prey.

The Nutritional Relationships of Vitamin A
David L. Watts, Ph.D., F.A.C.E.P

Vitamins Antagonistic to Vitamin A
Figure 1 (found in PDF format) indicates the vitamins that are considered to be antagonistic to vitamin A.
Vitamin A may also be considered antagonistic to these vitamins.
Vitamins D and A are often considered synergists and, in a supplement form, are
frequently given in combination. However, vitamin A can be given to reduce the toxic effects
of hypervitaminosis D.

In general the fat soluble vitamins compete for absorption and transport;
therefore, the entire fat soluble family can be considered antagonistic.

The different effects on bone metabolism also indicate vitamin A and D
antagonism. Vitamin D increases the absorption and retention of calcium,while excess vitamin A
causes bone resorption and decalcification.

Hypervitaminosis A
Symptoms of vitamin A toxicity include joint pain, decalcification, and fragility of bone.
Increased intracranial pressure produces pseudo brain tumor symptoms. Red blood cells lose
hemoglobin, and bleeding can occur easily. Nervous system symptoms include irritability,
restlessness, fatigue, anorexia, and muscle weakness. Rashes may develop on the skin,
causing dryness and peeling along with hair loss. The lips may also become scaly. The spleen and
liver enlarge and jaundice may develop. Symptoms of toxicity subside with reduced
intake of the vitamin.

Hypervitaminosis A could look an awful lot like Hypovitaminosis D. It's not easy to tell the difference just by looking at the gecko, it's going to need vet intervention to the right diagnosis before it's too late.

Nutrient Interrelationships
Minerals — Vitamins —Endocrines

David L. Watts, D.C., Ph.D., F.A.C.E.P.

Vitamin Antagonisms
Vitamins also have synergistic and antagonistic relationships which are not often considered. The
vitamin wheel in Figure2 depicts some of the known and observed theoretical antagonistic
relationships of vitamins. The antagonism may not be direct but, as a result of excessive intake,
may increase the requirements of other vitamins.
Examples of some of these antagonisms follow:

Vitamin A reduces the toxic effects of vitamin D.
Vitamins A and D are mutually antagonistic.

Theoretical antagonisms are indicated by broken lines. These relationships are based upon their
effects with minerals as determined through TMA research. As an example, vitamin D enhances
hances the absorption of calcium; therefore, excessive intake of vitamin D by increasing
calcium absorption would then produce a decrease in magnesium, potassium or
phosphorus retention, or absorption.

The effects of vitamin A which enhances potassium and phosphorus absorption or retention, would
then be reduced in the presence of high vitamin D intake.

The best thing to do is read the actual PDF, get all the details, including diagrams and tables.

Trace Elements
There is no need to have a supply of calcium in the enclosure, the gecko doesn't need big gobs of it to stay healthy. Compare the size of a vitamin/mineral supplement for humans to the size of the person taking it. That small pill can fully supplement a human body. Why would a tiny gecko need a dose of vitamins and/or minerals big enough for a human?
The idea is to "dust" the prey, not ice the bugs like a cake so they look like moving snowmen.

The only way to properly regulate vitamin and mineral intake, calcium in particular, is to only supply it via gut loading and dusting.

ptbmaniac

I bought Zoo Med Reptivite. It has everything in it it. I hope this helps this gecko and any future geckos.I am also going to ask the vet about the Vitamin A deficiency since she never brought up that possibility. Hopefully this might help other people who has followed the wrong information on the web or in books.

Embrace Calamity

The problem isn't always related to not getting enough Vitamin A by using beta-carotene instead of pre-formed Vitamin A. It could be because of too much Vitamin D, or even unrestricted access to calcium - that self-dosing calcium supply kept in the tank 24/7.

Calcium needs Vitamin D3 to be absorbed, so it's easy enough to make sure there's no excess absorbed by limiting Vitamin D3. However, allowing the gecko access to calcium in the enclosure could very easily cause nutritional deficiencies. Any calcium that doesn't get absorbed will line the intestinal tract, coat it with an impermeable barrier which hinders absorption of other nutrients, vitamins, minerals and even medications.
But they still need vitamin A, and none is being provided. I'm not sure I get how the possibility of too much calcium (why would they ingest the calcium of their own volition if they don't need it anyway?) outweighs knowing 100% for certain that they are getting absolutely no vitamin A. If a person was getting absolutely no vitamin A in their diets and showed all the symptoms of it, you wouldn't go, "Well, you know, I bet it's because you're ingesting too much calcium."

Almost everyone keeps pure calcium in their enclosures 24/7, and I've yet to hear of a single person who also provides vitamin A having issues like this (though if you know of any, that would be very interesting to read about). I also know of plenty of people whose geckos never touch the calcium because what they're being provided via dusting covers everything. I'm not saying the point itself you're making is incorrect - obviously you have ample evidence to back it up, and it's interesting to know - but I'm not sure how it applies to this situation. If vitamin A was being provided and there was too much calcium being given via dusting, then yes, that would make total sense.

~Maggot

Hilde

Administrator
Staff member
But they still need vitamin A, and none is being provided.

I do believe I said "The problem isn't always related to not getting enough Vitamin A "
If there's none provided, then that defnitely is the first thing to fix.
Too little, or no, Vitamin A being absorbed can't always be corrected with pre-formed Vitamin A added to the diet by whatever method you decide to use. If there's too much calcium, Vitamin D, K, or E, or other antogonists in the diet, then just adding Vitamin A isn't going to fix it. Same with too little D, E, or K - just increasing it won't fix it without removing the source of the problem.

You have to remove whatever is hindering absorption. In many cases it's too much calcium. Just where in nature do leopard geckos find piles of calcium, in any form, just waiting to be licked up at will? They'll investigate the dish of it in the enclosure, doesn't take a lot of licks to overdo it. Their intestinal tract is very small, a few licks can coat the intestines to the point where vitamin absorption is hindered.

Almost everyone keeps pure calcium in their enclosures 24/7,
But we've always done it this way, so it must be good?

I also know of plenty of people whose geckos never touch the calcium because what they're being provided via dusting covers everything.
Proves my point?
Why leave the calcium in there if it's not needed, but could very easily create problems?
Many years ago, 15+ I was on the calcium dish in the enclosure bandwagon. Then I found out what it can lead to, switched sides, never looked back. It hasn't caused any problems with my geckos.

Google the calcium dish in the enclosure idea. You'll find Allen Repashy is against it, he explains it the same way and gives the same reasons. You'll also find others who know gecko (and other lizard) husbandry - they don't leave the calcium available.

Just because there's a problem shedding, eyes gunked up, and all the other typical signs of hypovitaminosis A doesn't mean you just add lots of pre-formed Vit A and it's fixed. Look for the source of the problem; the easiest and most common source is too much calcium, most likely via that big dish of it sitting on the floor of the enclosure.

Embrace Calamity

I do believe I said "The problem isn't always related to not getting enough Vitamin A "
If there's none provided, then that defnitely is the first thing to fix.
...So then what was the point in bring it up?

Too little, or no, Vitamin A being absorbed can't always be corrected with pre-formed Vitamin A added to the diet by whatever method you decide to use. If there's too much calcium, Vitamin D, K, or E, or other antogonists in the diet, then just adding Vitamin A isn't going to fix it. Same with too little D, E, or K - just increasing it won't fix it without removing the source of the problem.

You have to remove whatever is hindering absorption. In many cases it's too much calcium. Just where in nature do leopard geckos find piles of calcium, in any form, just waiting to be licked up at will? They'll investigate the dish of it in the enclosure, doesn't take a lot of licks to overdo it. Their intestinal tract is very small, a few licks can coat the intestines to the point where vitamin absorption is hindered.
Again, I never disagreed with any of this. I'm saying it's likely irrelevant in this situation.
But we've always done it this way, so it must be good?
Nice use of taking things out of context. If you bothered to acknowledge the REST of the sentence, it read: "...and I've yet to hear of a single person who also provides vitamin A having issues like this." The point being, of course, the fact that geckos have free access to calcium doesn't appear to cause these kinds of issues.

Proves my point?
Why leave the calcium in there if it's not needed, but could very easily create problems?
Actually, it doesn't prove your point. I'm not sure how you think it does. The point I was making is that if the gecko doesn't need it, it probably won't be used. If having calcium available were something that would cause problems because geckos would just keep eating it anyway (why would they do that?), then this would be something that would be hugely prevalent, given the number of people who keep calcium in their enclosures.
It hasn't caused any problems with my geckos.
No one said it would? I'm sure what you do works just fine, and I'm glad you like it. Good on you.
Just because there's a problem shedding, eyes gunked up, and all the other typical signs of hypovitaminosis A doesn't mean you just add lots of pre-formed Vit A and it's fixed. Look for the source of the problem; the easiest and most common source is too much calcium, most likely via that big dish of it sitting on the floor of the enclosure.
Really? You think the source of the gecko having a vitamin A deficiency is that it has too much calcium, NOT the fact that it gets NO vitamin A supplement? You can't possibly be serious. We might as well just stop suggesting people provide any vitamin A at all, then, since that's not the source of the problem. Let's go ahead and not leave calcium in the enclosures OR provide vitamin A. I bet that'll make everything just fine, since the calcium in the enclosure is the "source of the problem."

~Maggot

Last edited:

Elizabeth Freer

So, Hilde, how do you recommend supplementing leos, young and old, with calcium and vitamins? Sounds as if you removed plain calcium carbonate from their enclosures long ago. You mention that you have never looked back.

Maybe you have bred leos and I know you have senior leos now. Perhaps longterm "family" members?

Please share your supplementation schedule, brands and frequency. It would be good to include what you feed your feeders and what you use to gutload the feeders. Everyone can learn :).

cricket4u

In this particular situation there's a good chance Vitamin A deficiency is at fault for the obvious reason, the op has not been providing any. These symptoms are also so common in leopard geckos who have have not been provided preformed A or not supplemented at all.

However, I do believe part of the problem is some people do not comprehend the term gutloading. They will feed whatever is available, an apple, a carrot, ect. Items that are of no source of calcium or too poor in calcium to make a difference in the feeder. On top of that, they choose to feed mealworms and superworms which are lowest in calcium.

I can honestly say although I do provide a very small lid of calcium, if I ever see them take one lick a month it's a lot. I do not feed mealworms or superworms. I gutload the crickets with high calcium. I also rotate silkworms, a few roaches, hornworms, 1-2 butterworms, phoenix worms(they will only accept about 2) all in the same week, so is this what makes a difference?

A very small amount of plain calcium isn't a problem, but not a water dish full like I have seen in some pictures.:shock: Reality is if your gecko is contantly looking for calcium, you are doing a poor job of providing variety and overall a well balanced diet.

Compare the size of a vitamin/mineral supplement for humans to the size of the person taking it. That small pill can fully supplement a human body. Why would a tiny gecko need a dose of vitamins and/or minerals big enough for a human?

This I couldn't agree more and I firmly believe these geckos are oversupplemented by most. Too many people think this is a great solution instead of providing variety and properly gutloading. If you can't afford a healthy diet for your gecko, you should not be keeping the gecko to begin with.

Last edited:

Embrace Calamity

Cricket, let me ask you this, as I'm genuinely curious to know others' opinions on the matter: Do you believe a gecko who doesn't need more calcium in its diet would intentionally ingest pure calcium?

~Maggot

cricket4u

Cricket, let me ask you this, as I'm genuinely curious to know others' opinions on the matter: Do you believe a gecko who doesn't need more calcium in its diet would intentionally ingest pure calcium?

~Maggot

I am leaning towards no due to the fact as I explained my gecko rarely ever lick the calcium. However, I wonder if a gecko who is underfed may dip in the calcium as a source of food while hungry?

Embrace Calamity

I am leaning towards no due to the fact as I explained my gecko rarely ever lick the calcium. However, I wonder if a gecko who is underfed may dip in the calcium as a source of food while hungry?
That's interesting. I guess it comes down to whether or not they interpret it as food. Very well could be.

~Maggot

ptbmaniac

I have never kept a lot of calcium in with Leopard Geckos.Usually just a small dusting in a bowl or lid. I have seen them do a quick lick once in a while. This time I was unaware of Vitamin A,but I have always gutloaded their food with lots of different stuff,and the old brand of calcium I used to dust with actually had vitamin A in it as well as carotene! I just wasnt aware that vitamin A and beta carotene was 2 different things. I am learning alot about supplements.

ptbmaniac

Quick update: It looks like we have saved 1 eye for sure,and things are looking up for the other eye as well! The eyeball in the 2nd eye is visible now and Belle has shown some ability to see out of it! I will be extremely happy if we save both eyes! This has been an expensive task,but it looks like the outcome is going to be great!

Embrace Calamity

Quick update: It looks like we have saved 1 eye for sure,and things are looking up for the other eye as well! The eyeball in the 2nd eye is visible now and Belle has shown some ability to see out of it! I will be extremely happy if we save both eyes! This has been an expensive task,but it looks like the outcome is going to be great!
Glad to know things are going well. I wish you guys the best. :)

~Maggot

Joey1

This thread is pretty interesting, but first let me say to the op I wish your little guy the best... I'm anxious to see what others chime in and say; I think cricket4u and EC make some could points: EC asked why would a Leo just eat pure calcium? Cricket replies basically by saying if it were hungry enough it may view it as a food source.

Now correct me if I'm wrong but no animal would ever let itself go hungry, as a last resort an animal will find whatever it can to live another day...

So I ponder aside from looking into just supplementing (which seems to be an issue to soon be corrected) but his Leo's actual intake, how much? Are the feeders healthy? is he eating enough? If not is he going to the calcium dish at night to fill his belly?

Is calcium being offered to the feeders as well as dusted? In excess?

I can see Hildes point without discrediting the fact of vit A deficiency that EC brings up... It doesn't have to be one or the other, both may be right... I'll give an example, a former friend of mine had a chameleon and he dusted his crickets with rep-cal calcium w/d3 with rep-cal herptivite multivitamin a few times a week as well as offering another calcium source... I did not witness anything wrong with the animal for all I knew it looked healthy, I knew nothing of reptile care at the time so I said nothing, for all I knew that was what you're suppose to do... Bashing him would be easy, but what I was trying to illustrate he could be getting too much of one thing and not the other...

I've been keeping a calendar and notebook for dusting schedules and writing down what he eats and when, for my Leo, not only does it help me remember but provide a sense of balance.

Ptb give us a daily/weekly picture of what he eats (and what the feeders eat), what supplements he ingests by dusting how much and when, how often does he lick the calcium if at all ... If you lay it all out you and/or others may better point out with more certainty and accuracy the source of the problem...

Apologizes I'm rambling, but I'm curious to see how this unfolds, and once more I wish you and your little guy the best.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.