No Longer Pooping Daily

Speckles

I was hoping to never have to post a question in regards to the health of Speckles, but here I am. I've been keeping a log since January regarding temps, food, poop, shed and growth. Since March 1st, she has been eating crickets, hornworms, silkworms and the occassional mealworms. She eats every day. Normally she poops every day, too, but lately she has been skipping a day or two of pooping, then leaving a large deposit on the second or third daySpeckles 8.jpg.

She is still very active in hunting, and in fact, acts like she is starving to death. We've cut her crickets back to about 4 (instead of eight) when feeding them and she is only getting 2-3 silk/horn worms when feeding those (depending on size). She is active in the nights, exploring her tank, hanging out in random places, etc.

We weighed and measured her two days ago and she is 8 inches and 57 grams, which seems a little heavy. I have been double checking her temps daily for the past week, to make sure they are correct. Here is her information:

20 gallon long, repticarpet, day light on timer, night glow blue light
5 hides: one over heat mat, one dry middle, one humid over heat mat, one dry cooler side, one cool side
Pure calcium in tank at all times, crickets dusted with Reptivite with D3
Temps: Hot Side= UTH on a thermostat set at 92, floor 88-92, air 86-88 day, 80 overnight Middle= floor 85-88, Cool= floor 75-77, air 75 day, 70 overnight

We've had Speckles since December 24,2012.

I have double checked all of the care guidelines to see if I missed anything and I think it is all as it should be. These are my thoughts on why she is no longer pooping daily:

1. She has been spending a ton of time in the middle hide where floor temps range from 85-88. After eating she goes in the hot hide, usually through the evening, but I wonder if she isn't spending enough time in there to digest properly. Double checked temps, they are consistently 88-92, so shouldn't be to hot.

2. She hasn't been spending much time in her humid hide, that I've seen, so perhaps she is dehydrated? Although her food is fed and watered properly, so she should be getting some moisture from them. I've raised the humidity in her enclosure to 50% in an effort to forstall dehydration. Her skin doesn't look dehydrated and in fact she is getting ready to shed again.

3. We have cut her food intake in half. So even though she is eating every day, she is getting roughly half the amount she was. Would feeding her less each day slow down her digestive system? We don't know how old she is, but maybe it is time to feed only every other day. She would eat 8 (or more) large crickets at a time if we let her.

I have the number to a reputable herp vet and am considering making an appointment on Monday to have her checked for parasites, just in case and for my peace of mind. I'll need to take a fecal sample, so any advice on how to collect it? Thank you all in advance for your advice and help!

Last edited:

cricket4u

Either it's time to start feeding every other day instead of daily or it may be what you mentioned.

She has been spending a ton of time in the middle hide where floor temps range from 85-88

Does the UTH extend under this hide as well? I also mentioned twice before that over 85f air may be too much.

Speckles

Either it's time to start feeding every other day instead of daily or it may be what you mentioned.

She has been spending a ton of time in the middle hide where floor temps range from 85-88

Does the UTH extend under this hide as well? I also mentioned twice before that over 85f air may be too much.

The UTH goes under half of this hide and when she is in there she lays over it, so right around 88 degrees. Today she has been in the hot hide all day, but I have really been making sure the air temps on the hot side stay at 85. I think you might be right, as I have been thinking about this. I do remember it being mentioned before. It had been really warm here, either room she is in had been warmer. Thank you for reminding me of this. Will definitely keep temps here and see if it makes a difference. At least it won't hurt.

cricket4u

Of course skipping a day of feeding will not increase bowel movements. The reason I mentioned this it's time to start feeding every other day instead of daily is:

She's 8 inches long
Her body condition in the photo
Even though you have cut the amount of food fed in half her weight has continued to increase. She is now 57 grams, last weight was 50 grams.

My mistake, I should have answered the main question first and gave the feeding suggestion separate with an explanation.:biggrin:

Last edited:

Speckles

Of course skipping a day of feeding will not increase bowel movements. The reason I mentioned this it's time to start feeding every other day instead of daily is:

She's 8 inches long
Her body condition in the photo
Even though you have cut the amount of food fed in half her weight has continued to increase. She is now 57 grams, last weight was 50 grams.

I can totally see skipping a poop if not eating daily, it was worrisome since she was still eating something daily but nothing was coming out daily. We have been discussing this most of the day and decided tonight will be the first night we skip a feeding and go every other day from here on out. I assume if she maintains her weight (or loses a gram or two or a few) that eventually we could go to every three days? I was SHOCKED to see a seven gram weight gain in two weeks time when we weighed her the other day. Also, she just pooped a large poop, so I'm pretty happy to see that :) Thank you for the excellent feedback and reminders. I truly appreciate it.

Saskia

I would agree with everything said, I feed babies and juvies every day, but she is I believe a sub adult now, she sould be great eating every other day, in fact she shouldn´t loose weight IMO, just slow the weight gain, and I also think that not pooping every day shouldn´t be something to worry about, she is growing and changing, and adults do not poop every day most of the times, mine poo about every other day, large poops

Last edited: