Leopard Gecko was sick - hasn't eaten since!

evadiva

We've had our leopard gecko, Eva, since August of 2011. She has always been a great eater. There was only one or two times we had to encourage her to eat, but I think that was from the weather. (We live in Western Canada)

On February 14 we brought her to the vets. She had an enlarged ducts/glands in her left eye, and a clouded/darkened right eye. The vet gave us antibiotics for an eye infection, metacam for the swelling/pain, eye drops (with vitamin A), and Crittercare.
She encouraged us to use Reptaid to boost the Vitamin A, as she had mentioned that it was either an infection or a Vitamin A deficiency.
Her right eye has clouded up again, so we began the eye drops again.

She has eaten one or two insects by herself since the vet visit, but for the most part we've been supplementing her with Crittercare and Reptaid. We've also been (a few occasions) forcefeeding her meal worms.

She's in a 36" x 18" x 18" terrarium, with repta-carpet substrate. An UTH, heat lamp, light lamp (since the tank is wide), moist hide, numerous dry-cool hide, and a few dry-hot hide.
The temperature of the tank was a bit high, so we have since turned off the heat lamp, and the temperature on the warm side is now about 90-93 during the day, and ~82 at night. The cool side is ~80 during the day and 72-75 at night.
We've been trying to coax her with meal worms, superworms (for the size), horn worms, crickets, wax worms.. we've been trying everything. Nothing is working.
The fiance has forcefed her, but I don't like doing so as it makes her stressed, and I believe pushes her away from food.
I've been feeding her a mix of reptaid and crittercare (to get her the electrolytes and vitamin a, hoping to give her an energy boost to hunt).
We've rearranged her cage, giving her more options for hides.

She shed recently as well, and only ate part of the shed skin.

When she went to the vet she was 95 grams, we're thinking she's just over two years old. Roughly 11" long. We haven't weighed her as we don't have a kitchen scale yet. But we're looking at options.

Any advice? Any thoughts as to what would cause the abrupt stop to eating?
Thanks for your time, and any advice/suggestions!

Sorry to hear about that. We had an issue with one of our geckos who was incredibly healthy then just stopped eating for weeks, her tail went from about 3/4" of an inch wide at the base to 3/8". She let herself go that bad. So, we took her to the vet and they gave us a pouch of Carnivore Care and a syringe (without a needle). It's stuff to mix with water and just get the gecko to open their mouth and squirt this inside. We did that every day for a week or 2, constantly kept a supply of mealworms in her dish throughout everything. One day we woke up, checked on her and every last mealworm was gone. Ever since then she's back to being 100% healthy and a great eater.

On another case, we purchased a gecko from (I will say "breeder x" because I don't want anything bad said to or of them). He refused to eat, and we tried contacting "breeder x" to find out if he had any issues before or what they fed them. We got no reply after calls, or e-mails, so we thought okay, let's try the Carnivore Care. After 2 days of force feeding him that, he started eating again and has been perfectly fine ever since.

I don't know what was wrong with them, but ever since they both got fed the carnivore care, they never stopped eating, both tails are fat, and the male in the second paragraph is now around 92g.

Good luck and we hope Eva gets better!

evadiva

Hi Keystone!
Thanks for the reply. We've been feeding her a mix of the Carnivore Care and Reptaid to keep some substance/nutrients going into her, and to encourage Vitamin A and electrolytes. She sometimes laps it up, and sometimes tries to rub it off her face.

I'm glad to hear your geckos have gotten over their non-eating habits, here's to hoping Eva will as well!

Hi Keystone!
Thanks for the reply. We've been feeding her a mix of the Carnivore Care and Reptaid to keep some substance/nutrients going into her, and to encourage Vitamin A and electrolytes. She sometimes laps it up, and sometimes tries to rub it off her face.

I'm glad to hear your geckos have gotten over their non-eating habits, here's to hoping Eva will as well!

Did the vet run a fecal exam?

I also forgot, We used Calci-worms to coax the one we had at the vet. They got her attention and she ate them quickly. When they heat up they move a lot. Very high in calcium (hence the calci-worm name), however they are a little on the expensive side but not too bad.

cricket4u

We've had our leopard gecko, Eva, since August of 2011. She has always been a great eater. There was only one or two times we had to encourage her to eat, but I think that was from the weather. (We live in Western Canada)

On February 14 we brought her to the vets. She had an enlarged ducts/glands in her left eye, and a clouded/darkened right eye. The vet gave us antibiotics for an eye infection, metacam for the swelling/pain, eye drops (with vitamin A), and Crittercare.
She encouraged us to use Reptaid to boost the Vitamin A, as she had mentioned that it was either an infection or a Vitamin A deficiency.
Her right eye has clouded up again, so we began the eye drops again.

She has eaten one or two insects by herself since the vet visit, but for the most part we've been supplementing her with Crittercare and Reptaid. We've also been (a few occasions) forcefeeding her meal worms.

She's in a 36" x 18" x 18" terrarium, with repta-carpet substrate. An UTH, heat lamp, light lamp (since the tank is wide), moist hide, numerous dry-cool hide, and a few dry-hot hide.
The temperature of the tank was a bit high, so we have since turned off the heat lamp, and the temperature on the warm side is now about 90-93 during the day, and ~82 at night. The cool side is ~80 during the day and 72-75 at night.
We've been trying to coax her with meal worms, superworms (for the size), horn worms, crickets, wax worms.. we've been trying everything. Nothing is working.
The fiance has forcefed her, but I don't like doing so as it makes her stressed, and I believe pushes her away from food.
I've been feeding her a mix of reptaid and crittercare (to get her the electrolytes and vitamin a, hoping to give her an energy boost to hunt).
We've rearranged her cage, giving her more options for hides.

She shed recently as well, and only ate part of the shed skin.

When she went to the vet she was 95 grams, we're thinking she's just over two years old. Roughly 11" long. We haven't weighed her as we don't have a kitchen scale yet. But we're looking at options.

Any advice? Any thoughts as to what would cause the abrupt stop to eating?
Thanks for your time, and any advice/suggestions!

Are these air or ground temps?
What type of thermometer are you using?
Heating sources on a thermostat?

Elizabeth Freer

evadiva ~

Can you get a multivitamin like Zoo Med's Reptivite with D3/vitamin A acetate to lightly dust the prey with on a regular basis?

Skip the waxworms...way too fatty! Other things to feed.

evadiva

Hello Cricket4u.
These are ground temperatures. The air temperature said it was 92 degrees, but the floor was 100. We have since lowered so the floor is 90-95 during the day.
The heating source is now an UTH?

evadiva

We have a calcium supplement and a multivitamin. We have mixed the calcium, multivitamin, reptaid, and critter care to get her a boost. we do dust the prey with the calcium and multivitamin, but the problem is getting her to eat.