Vivarium: My First Naturalistic Leopard Gecko Vivarium

Status
Not open for further replies.

tims95

Im building a 4'x2'x2' wooden Vivarium for leopard geckos. Going to use a soil/sand 50/50 mixture for substrate, grout to paint and keep the substrate attached to the styrofoam. The inserts are made of styrofoam as a base, and great stuff expanding foam as the outer layer for carving. Going to be adding live plants, and heat cords/pads to heat the caves, with a heat lamp over head.

0215041811.jpg0215041758.jpg0215041811a.jpg0215041812-1.jpg0215041811b.jpg

tims95

Going to be applying a layer of grout to the insides, and some more great stuff foam to fill holes.

tims95

Did some molding yesterday, added a water dush, and finished the floors in the cave. I used a silicone to attach the pieces of tile together, and to dullen any edges. 20140217_112333.jpg20140219_073403.jpg20140219_073411.jpg

Pirarucu

Looking good! I love seeing them kept in more natural setups, as opposed to the usual box with paper towels.

tims95

I agree, just not sure mine will be proper for leopard geckos, a lot of argument about what it natural for them, just hope for the best!

tims95

I added my first layer of grout to the inside and tunnels, will provide pictures as soon as I can!

tims95

Finally got the wood to start the vivarium, ended up being 4'x3'x21", unable to upload pictures for some reason though

cricket4u

Lights and top attached, vent holes cut View attachment 29809

Hi Tims 95,

I'm a little concerned about the outcome of the heating. I would hate for things not to work out after all this effort. My main concern is that it will be very difficult to lose heat with the placement of the vents assuming you are providing heat from below? I guess I should ask first, do you plan on adding more vents?

I learned a few things after the disastrous enclosures I try to build myself years ago.:) They never looked this neat I will tell you that much. This is my concern:

You placed the vents right below the heat lamps. That means a good portion of the heat will be lost through those vents because heat rises. I don't know if at this point you can cover those vents? You would have to place them lower in the cool end in order to provide a cool side.

Last edited:

tims95

I drilled what I saw may be needed, im going to test heating and humidity before drilling more holes/covering up

tims95

Im going to test them once I have the plexiglass and insert installed to get more accueate readings. Which may be tomorrow

tims95

Have the plexiglass in the doors now, that was a pain. Now just need 1 more piece, some sanding, and staining, then onto the insert and landscaping

Elizabeth Freer

How did your tests come out regarding heat and humidity?

Im going to test them once I have the plexiglass and insert installed to get more accueate readings. Which may be tomorrow

Have the plexiglass in the doors now, that was a pain. Now just need 1 more piece, some sanding, and staining, then onto the insert and landscaping

Really looking forward to your results and seeing this finished vivarium, tims95. Wish I had these talents!

cricket4u

Is it really 4 ft long or did you change your mind and make it shorter?

There's not enough space in the bottom for substrate? It will fall out when you open the doors. Or did you change your mind? (I hope so, I'm worried)

Under tank heating?

Wood holds heat well, so I'm wondering how you're planning to provide a cool side when the vents are so high?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm just concerned for your leo. Feel free to tell me wait till it's done if you're not up for answering questions. I will not be offended.:)

Last edited:

tims95

There is a 4 inch lip at the bottom of the doors.
The wood is 1/2" thick, so the insidemeasurements are around 46 1/2"wide and 22" deep
The caves in the insert I built earlier in the thread have heat cords/mats heating some of them.
Thank you Elizabeth.
I have yet to figure some things out myself, learning as I go, so I hope it works well.

Status
Not open for further replies.