Looking for any feedback re: cloudy eye/eyes in geckos?

acpart

To the best of my knowledge (which may be faulty), the clouding of cataracts in humans may not show up as a cloudy eye to the "naked eye" but is more likely visible by the opthamologist when viewing the eye through a special lens. Is there any chance that it could be an infection and a course of antibiotics would be appropriate? I've also occasionally had to use topical erythromycin with my leopard geckos for eye infections.

Aliza

TheresaB.C

One of my geckos also had cloudy eyes from a small eye infection a few years back. My mother used to have a gecko with extremely cloudy eyes. It was a blind 17 year old gargoyle gecko. (passed away now, needless to say)
I agree with acpart, probably just a small eye infection, easily treated by a vet.

Yoshi'smom

The only experience that I had with a gecko and cloudiness in an eye was with my first leopard gecko, Yoshi.
He had scratched the eye somehow and it got infected.
Vet prescribed meds as well as hand feeding carnivore care.
Long ordeal of about 6 months before the infection cleared and he started eating on his own.
Otherwise I've not had any other personal experience or heard of it elsewhere.
I'm not certain that cataracts could be an option or not..?

Elizabeth Freer

The only experience that I had with a gecko and cloudiness in an eye was with my first leopard gecko, Yoshi.
He had scratched the eye somehow and it got infected.
Vet prescribed meds as well as hand feeding carnivore care.
Long ordeal of about 6 months before the infection cleared and he started eating on his own.
Otherwise I've not had any other personal experience or heard of it elsewhere.
I'm not certain that cataracts could be an option or not..?

After 6 months did Yoshi's eye infection totally clear up...no cloudiness?

Do you recall which meds?

Yoshi'smom

After 6 months did Yoshi's eye infection totally clear up...no cloudiness?

Do you recall which meds?

Yeah, it was totally clear afterwards and he was holding it open like normal after the infection cleared.

I don't recall the exact medicines as this was about 5 years ago but I do know that one was a painkiller and one was an antibiotic (both twice daily). I fed him by hand once daily (after his pm medication) with the Carnivore care.
If it's necessary, I may be able to call up my vet and see if they have what exact medicines he was prescribed in their system still.

Elizabeth Freer

Yeah, it was totally clear afterwards and he was holding it open like normal after the infection cleared.

I don't recall the exact medicines as this was about 5 years ago but I do know that one was a painkiller and one was an antibiotic (both twice daily). I fed him by hand once daily (after his pm medication) with the Carnivore care.
If it's necessary, I may be able to call up my vet and see if they have what exact medicines he was prescribed in their system still.
My choices for exotic vets are quite limited.

Maybe you could see whether your vet still has the info? Were the meds oral or topical?

Did they take away Yoshi's appetite?

Yoshi'smom

They were oral medications as well as I believe an eye drop medicine as well.
I'll see what I can find out for you.
He lost his appetite because he couldn't see. He was keeping the affected eye closed and so couldn't hunt.
As soon as the eye got clear and he was holding it open normally, he was back to hunting.