Type of tank?


New member
I want to move my gargoyle into a different tank. He is currently in an 18x18x24 Exo Terra, but I want to use that for my Cuban False Chameleon, who is fast growing out of his 12x12x18.

I have limited space - base of the new garg tank would have to be 12x16 or smaller, but I would like something with height to it - 24" or higher. I am afraid to use a fish tank tipped on its side, because he is a bit of a spazz and I'm afraid he'll jump right out if I have to take a screen off the front to feed, clean, etc. Does anybody know of a tank or tub I could use that would fit these needs? Or could the garg be comfortable in a 12x12x18, in which case I could just swap the two?


Active member
Other people may have different opinions: Although I prefer to keep gargs in a larger enclosure, I find that they don't seem to move around that much and I'd put a garg in a 12x12x18 before I'd put a crested gecko in an enclosure that size. There are conversion kits that allow you to put an aquarium on its side and make it front-opening. There are also "tank toppers" that you would put on top of an aquarium to make it taller. Those options may be worth investigating, but I do feel that a garg in the 12x12x18 is a good temporary and possibly permanent solution.


Elizabeth Freer

Active member
Hi Eileen ~

Here's an idea. A 20 long is 30 x 12.5 x 12.5. A 20 regular measures 24 x 12.5 x 16.5 inches high.

As you're prepping for the Plexiglas panel be sure the sides will not collapse because of their length. I know this works for 10 gallons. I have 2.

Remove the glass at one end. Make a screen top with 1/4 or 1/8 inch grid hardware cloth from somewhere like Ace Hardware (I've only seen black. One could spray it white.) and velcro from JoAnn's. Tape the plexiglas panel with door securely onto the enclosure with shipping tape.

Tap Plastics in Portland, Oregon (503-230-0770) may be able to refer you to a place near you.
Last edited: