Day Gecko Help!!

Strikker38

Hey there guys,
I've owned geckos in the past and have gotten along without any problems. I recently got a day gecko though and am having some issues. I know they have sensitive skin and she just finished her first shed, since then she has had this long black mark down her spine and I'm a little worried about it. Her temps are between 80-85 ambient and around 90 in the baking spot. Her humidity is between 70 and 80% at all times but was a little higher when she was shedding. She still eats and drinks well and is very active so I'm not to sure what the issue could be. Any help would be great!!! Thanks!20200516_180643.jpg20200516_180643.jpg20200516_180650.jpg

Elizabeth Freer

Welcome to Geckos Unlimited!

Is her skin missing in those darkened areas? Is she down to exposed flesh? How close could your day gecko have come to her 90*F basking bulb? Could she have rubbed up against something rough during her shed?

Keep those areas clean and dry to reduce chances of infection. However, still keep up the proper humidity. IF this area becomes infected, she may need a vet visit for a prescription of SSD cream (silver sulfadiazine).

Last edited:

Strikker38

Hi there, she can get about 5 or 6 inches from her baking bulb and I've monitored the spot itself for temperature so I dont believe it could be a burn. It's hard to tell if shes down to bare skin or not but i dont believe so. It does look very smooth and shiny but originally during her shed it was hard and lumpy but the same color, almost like a long scab.

Elizabeth Freer

Hi there, she can get about 5 or 6 inches from her baking bulb and I've monitored the spot itself for temperature so I dont believe it could be a burn. It's hard to tell if shes down to bare skin or not but i dont believe so. It does look very smooth and shiny but originally during her shed it was hard and lumpy but the same color, almost like a long scab.
Thanks.

Had you noticed unusual lumps prior to her shed?

I recommend monitoring these areas for infection as well as keeping the skin clean and dry. I hope that with repeated sheds these areas will become normal.

Last edited: