Can you mix types of Day Geckos?

JLL

I am looking at getting an Electric Blue Day Gecko. The tank I have is a 36" x 18" x 36"h. Since it is so large, can I mix the Electric Blue with a Gold Dust? or any other species that would get along with the Lygodactylus Williamsi? Still in research stage so looking for any advice.

acpart

I have found that often even day geckos of the same species don't do well together, so I recommend either getting several small geckos of the same species (I'd recommend all females) or sticking to 1 gecko. It's possible that in a large enclosure like that with lots of hiding spaces the same species geckos won't bother each other, but there's still no guarantee. I've successfully kept a number of geckos of the same species together in small groups including leopard geckos, crested geckos, gargoyle geckos, but the one time I had 2 gold dust day geckos together (both female, though my enclosure size I think was too small) I ended up with only 1 gecko eventually.

Aliza

JLL

Thanks. Sorry about your Gold Dust. I was wondering that since the enclosure is so big that I can have a lot of hiding spots, caves etc - could I mix 2 different species ie the Electric Blue and a Gold Dust since they won't have the fight instinct for mating being of different species. My only worry is that the Gold Dust is a little larger. I was planning to have multiple feeding areas so competition for food should not be an issue either.

acpart

You can always try and see what happens. Just be sure to have an alternative enclosure in case you need one in a hurry.

Aliza